Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think that 6 games per player may be too many with 32,

It's not though, it's only four per group, so only 12 games per group.

But it's your tournament, I'll go with the flow

One question though, how do we decide who's black or white? We can't toss or choose a piece in a closed hand?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It's not though, it's only four per group, so only 12 games per group.

But it's your tournament, I'll go with the flow

One question though, how do we decide who's black or white? We can't toss or choose a piece in a closed hand?

na its our tourny not mine :thumbsup:

I thought you said play everyone in the group twice once as black once as white = 6 games per player?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
na its our tourny not mine :thumbsup:

I thought you said play everyone in the group twice once as black once as white = 6 games per player?

Yeah, that's what I suggested (gets rid of the idea of choosing colours too) but I thought you rejected it. I do think that it solves a lot of issues.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yeah, that's what I suggested (gets rid of the idea of choosing colours too) but I thought you rejected it. I do think that it solves a lot of issues.

Sorry wasnt rejected, I probably didnt state that correctly TBF. I guess its getting the balance right for tourney1

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
OK going for a world cup format, 3 games each against your group, top 2 from each group go to the knock outs,3 points for a win, 1 for a stalemate or accepted draw zero for a loss

In the event of equal league points the winner will be adjudicated on pieces remaining in the game(s) between the tied player(s). In the unlikely event that it tied a rematvh. (points total of 9 for a queen, 5 per rook, 3 per bishops as per Knights, pawns 1 point), all games moves to be saved please. Best of 3 in the knockout stages

Will try and get set up today so the battle can commence!

Really think that ties should be decided by blitz games rather than points.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
It has to be the one move a day format. That doesn’t mean it will be a move a day, it invariably moves quicker than that. The alternative is arranging certain times to play limited time format games and that’s nigh on impossible with most of us having busy lives and liasasing.

If a tournament is set up on chess.com between invited players I think the the organiser has to be a paid up member.
Over to you boys.

Is it that tricky? Allowing 24 hour per game invites...engines.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Do people still do that ? You can cheat in most things I guess.

That and it might take a long time waiting for someone to make a move. If you agree a set time saves someone potentially just waiting around. 24hr / move seems verrrry slow.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That and it might take a long time waiting for someone to make a move. If you agree a set time saves someone potentially just waiting around. 24hr / move seems verrrry slow.
Well from 24 hrs it goes down to 30 minute games next. Most chess players have many games on the go at one time. When I’ve played in tournaments I’ve often been playing 9 games at a time and thats nothing compared to what some players are doing.
It’s very rare that you only make one move a day. Once your notification comes in you tend to go to that match.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Rightio chaps.

I've pm'd maffew and he's going to hospital soon so maybe won't be able to sort things as quickly as he'd hoped.

Therefore, I've just paid up on Chess.com. and have created a club for us : Brighton and Hove Albion (NSC)

This is the link https://www.chess.com/club/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc

When you join, I'll get a message and accept you, after all, we don't want the pikey boys riff raff to infiltrate and ruin itpunk:

If you could pm me ( rather than clutter up NSC ) with your username on chess.com,then I know it's you :thumbsup:

I've also set up a private tournament for 32 players, split into 8 groups of 4, of which 2 from each will progress. The time on this is one move, minimum, per 24 hours. As we all know, the games move along a lot quicker than this.

Each group of 4, randomly chosen by the website, not me, will play 6 games at the same time ,2 each against the 3 opponents in your group.

This is the tournament link www.chess.com/tournament/albion-nsc-open, this should start next Friday.

Hopefully every one that's said they'll play,will. IT'S FREE TO JOIN AND PLAY :bounce::bounce:

As I said, try to pm me, or once you've joined and been accepted, post on the chess message board, rather than keep bouncing this to the top :thumbsup:

Bear with me on this as we all get used to it :blush:

Let's BASH our BISHOPS!!!!!

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Rightio chaps.

I've pm'd maffew and he's going to hospital soon so maybe won't be able to sort things as quickly as he'd hoped.

Therefore, I've just paid up on Chess.com. and have created a club for us : Brighton and Hove Albion (NSC)

When you join, I'll get a message and accept you, after all, we don't want the pikey boys riff raff to infiltrate and ruin itpunk:

If you could pm me ( rather than clutter up NSC ) with your username on chess.com,then I know it's you :thumbsup:

I've also set up a private tournament for 32 players, split into 8 groups of 4, of which 2 from each will progress. The time on this is one move, minimum, per 24 hours. As we all know, the games move along a lot quicker than this.

Each group of 4, randomly chosen by the website, not me, will play 6 games at the same time ,2 each against the 3 opponents in your group.

This is the tournament link www.chess.com/tournament/albion-nsc-open, this should start next Friday.

Hopefully every one that's said they'll play,will. IT'S FREE TO JOIN AND PLAY :bounce::bounce:

As I said, try to pm me, or once you've joined and been accepted, post on the chess message board, rather than keep bouncing this to the top :thumbsup:

Great! Sterling work! I will sort mine out in the morning. If your reading this Maffew then good luck with the operation, and l hope all goes well

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Rightio chaps.

Thank you so much mate
I didnt
a) anticipate I was going to be hospitalised with no laptop for a coupla weeks sorry
b) realise how much interest there might be
c) didnt wanna let no one down
d) thanks for the PM
e) let get this running and bash these bishops. Thanks so much I didnt wanna let this go cold, appreciated a million bud just running out of a bit of time now
f) I will send you the chess.com registration costs PM me your details. I will check in later today but have a coupla bits today tomorrow before I check in, else I wont speak to any of you good folk for a coupla weeks will miss it on NSC but hey
g) after tourney one lets have the BHAFC team compete against the worlds big wigs in FC Chess Teams and see if we can be world champs

I'm so sorry I couldnt see it through 100% at this time, and thanks for helping pick it up, by the way [MENTION=2657]paulie[/MENTION] cee is a bit shit he tells me

Sign in folks

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Great! Sterling work! I will sort mine out in the morning. If your reading this Maffew then good luck with the operation, and l hope all goes well

Thanks Snuggles, gutted I couldnt manage the whole thing cos it has legs, and will be fun I think the hospital will be ok, just a bit weak ATM [MENTION=29364]Pickles[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30492]Peter Ward[/MENTION] have been fantastic with their messages and better knowledge in different formats than me an stuff
Bring the bishop bashing on, sign in folks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here