Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I used to play for my school back in the day and managed to beat the teacher who ran the school chess club, who got a bit miffed.
I haven't played for ages and can't find people here who can.
I taught my youngest daughter how to play, but she is growing up now, busy and can't remember how to play.
A dying art, oh, and go to bed.

Thanks Mike I cant I have a new online addiction, good morning

My daughter is a fantastic player seriously quality

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Presumably his pawn takes your queen, then you retreat with your bishop. He will have a double pawn on g2 and g3 and another isolated pawn. You may be able to pick those off. I would still threaten his pawn with the bishop and when he protects it with his pawn (that is currently guarding his knight) then move your rook to attack the knight to get it away from that square!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Presumably his pawn takes your queen, then you retreat with your bishop. He will have a double pawn on g2 and g3 and another isolated pawn. You may be able to pick those off. I would still threaten his pawn with the bishop and when he protects it with his pawn (that is currently guarding his knight) then move your rook to attack the knight to get it away from that square!

Yeah but my knight will be in the way and I have lost the route in to the king (for now). Its been a good game he is gonna have to do something magical to check mate me, even check me, if he offered me a draw now I would tell him to piss off

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Yeah but my knight will be in the way and I have lost the route in to the king (for now). Its been a good game he is gonna have to do something magical to check mate me, even check me, if he offered me a draw now I would tell him to piss off

Well good luck! Let me know how you get on. We will have to get a few NSCers together and have a little mini league!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Well good luck! Let me know how you get on. We will have to get a few NSCers together and have a little mini league!

well I think there are 4 of us already, bit more interest and we can decide the format

(gonna win against this guy I hope, its a right battle and I think he has gone to bed)

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Count me in. Haven't played competitively since school (more than 40 years ago) so will be more than a little rusty.

I was, however, a member of the Balfour CP School team that won the Brighton inter-schools competition (it had a name, anyone remember what it was) in 1969; I contributed my regulation half a point.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'll play. I was in the school team but I haven't played competitively for more than 40 years though. I expect I'll be well beaten on here.

Now, if people wanted to get up a bridge tournament I'd be really interested, I've played some serious bridge over the years

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hardest copy.jpg

White to play. Who wins?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll get involved in this next week. "Playing" a lot of chess at the moment, as my 7 year old has got into it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's Carlsen.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Well if l were white and it was my move l would anticipate you would move your bishop to r6 and threaten the pawn in front of the king. Therefore to protect that square and to counter threat l would move the pawn next to the white queen up one and threaten your queen with the bishop!

So would I

Q x p seems too risky?

But that is why I would draw.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some fairly reasonably ranked Canadian, his move which is clearly gonna be pawn to queen
Yeah sorry, I didn't realise it was a live game with updates on this thread. What happened?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here