Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Cheapest meal/snack EVER

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I used to work at a big supermarket when I was 16. Back then, the computers weren't that smart. If something was BOGOF and scanned twice, they were programmed to deduct 1x the full price of the item.

When we reduced produce at the end of each day. The process was pretty basic. We just stuck a hand written sticker over the barcode with the new amount.

However. When the products had promotions on them, we had to do maths. Which is hard. One Christmas Eve for example, we sold 2 bags of clementines for 3p. They were 99p a bag normally, we reduced them to 51p, when scanned twice the computer takes off 99p. Having to explain that to customers was a pain. But it worked so whatever.

Anyway, one day a newish guy reduced a whole crate of avocados an hour or so before we closed to 5p each. They were usually around a quid each I think. They were BOGOF and he hadn't realised.

A customer took the whole crate to the til, bought an IRON and paid like £2. Walked back to the produce department and gave us back the crate of avocados with a big smile on his face. "Didn't want them anyway!". The checkout supervisors said that they "had to honour his purchase" or some rubbish.

Now THAT is a cheap snack.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see it like this with chicken
Wings belong on a barbecue/braai
Legs belong on a party buffet
Breasts belong roast/stuffed or as a proper meal wrapped in something
Thighs belong in a casserole or hot pot

If I was on desert island discs I would be torn between a chicken or a pig to take with me, both very versatile creatures (in terms of eating)

Take a chicken and a rooster. Domestic pigs are harder to breed - pig farmers have to sometimes give them a "bit of help" - and you'll have eggs for breakfast if you can separate your fertilised from your unfertilised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
M & S have Xmas crisps for 12p

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Bought some Italian cherries the other day in Harvey Nichols foodhall. Reduced from £6.50 to £3 which is less than half price ! That is a good deal by Harvey Nicks standards trust me

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Surely a 3d crisp is a potato

monty-python-ladies-clapping-o.gif

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just got an indate sandwich for 9p from Sainsburys and it was delicous (9p!) Free range egg tomato and tangy salad cream
Anyone who can beat that for a cheap skate?

I've never had a cheap skate before, always found them to be quite an expensive fish, far more than cod for example. :lolol:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Bag of chips - 4p from the chippy in Coombe road.

this was about 1973 mind...

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I used to work at Sainsburys 20 years ago and so saw lots of cock ups either from special offers sent down by head office or by the instore numpties. One that I remember clearly was thankful not my department but the deli counter. There was a special offer on a mature cheese that basically meant it was free. A quick witted customer asked to buy all of our stock. Now a sensible member of staff may have queried the offer or sought a mangers advice but no, this bright spark said "I think we have more in the cold store", went out the back and got two huge blocks and handed them over. The guy literally had a trolley full of cheese, for free. Easily a couple of hundred quids worth.

Another time at Christmas there was the usual special offer on Chipolata sausages, this coincided with a new ordering system which we were still getting to grips with. The fresh food deputy overruled the manager AND the system and manually put in an order. This was multiplied by the percentage increase based on sales forecast and the resulted in a dozen roll cages of sausages. There were thousands. It was a lot of money and of course perishable and so needed to be sold. We tried to distribute around the other stores but they all had loads as well (similar cock ups I imagine) The area manager got involved and we tried to get the depot to take some back - like they wanted them. So all we could do was reduce them to basically get rid. it was buy 2 get one free, buy a turkey - free sausages, bangers and mash? free sausages. Subsequently the staff canteen has them for weeks.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I used to work at a big supermarket when I was 16. Back then, the computers weren't that smart. If something was BOGOF and scanned twice, they were programmed to deduct 1x the full price of the item.

When we reduced produce at the end of each day. The process was pretty basic. We just stuck a hand written sticker over the barcode with the new amount.

However. When the products had promotions on them, we had to do maths. Which is hard. One Christmas Eve for example, we sold 2 bags of clementines for 3p. They were 99p a bag normally, we reduced them to 51p, when scanned twice the computer takes off 99p. Having to explain that to customers was a pain. But it worked so whatever.

Anyway, one day a newish guy reduced a whole crate of avocados an hour or so before we closed to 5p each. They were usually around a quid each I think. They were BOGOF and he hadn't realised.

A customer took the whole crate to the til, bought an IRON and paid like £2. Walked back to the produce department and gave us back the crate of avocados with a big smile on his face. "Didn't want them anyway!". The checkout supervisors said that they "had to honour his purchase" or some rubbish.

Now THAT is a cheap snack.

You can't eat an iron though

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Got blocks of extra mature cheddar from the deli counter at Tesco for 20p each the other month,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
thighs in oven all day long, at least once a week here, with home made wedges and coleslaw.
thighs marinated in olive oil, cayenne pepper, garlic, paprika and cumin.
all seasoned well at the end,
happy days all round

That's a recipe for 'burned black', me laddo. Forty minutes is plenty.

:lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I had the negative price thing in tescos once where each Item was -5p, I had 4. I queried it at the till but was told it was legit. May have been Lasagne or something, I had a few other Items but didn't go back for more.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here