Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Champions League

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Porto 0 - 5 Liverpool happening in front of me on the TV right now. Incredible stuff from Liverpool - nice of them to bother to turn up tonight.

Great comeback from Spurs last night. 2-0 down at Juve, but come back to draw and sets it up for a cracking second leg at Wembley.

Man City beat some noddy side away handsomely last night too.

Have any of these things even had a mention on NSC over the past couple of days? Do Albion fans, as a fanbase, just not give a toss about the Champions League?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I used to love it, couldnt give a monkeys now TBH just reminds me of the FA cup where some minnow from Luxembourg gets their 45 minutes of fame

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I couldn't believe that scoreline.

I've been watching BBC4's Spiral on iplayer with the wife, it's very good, but I would loved to have watched that attacking football on BT.

Have Porto ever been annihilated at home before?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the Championship it felt like we'd quite often be playing on CL nights, or our rivals would be, so the Champions League was some sort of afterthought for us.

Now we don't have league distractions that clash with the Champions League, I would have thought it might get the odd mention but no one seems bothered!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Porto 0 - 5 Liverpool happening in front of me on the TV right now. Incredible stuff from Liverpool - nice of them to bother to turn up tonight.

Great comeback from Spurs last night. 2-0 down at Juve, but come back to draw and sets it up for a cracking second leg at Wembley.

Have any of these things even had a mention on NSC over the past couple of days? Do Albion fans, as a fanbase, just not give a toss about the Champions League?

Regarding your question, I would suspect that far more took interest when ITV had the rights to half the matches.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Doesn’t interest me at all, especially since Sky lost the rights. Couldn’t have told you any of the ties before last night.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the Championship it felt like we'd quite often be playing on CL nights, or our rivals would be, so the Champions League was some sort of afterthought for us.

Now we don't have league distractions that clash with the Champions League, I would have thought it might get the odd mention but no one seems bothered!

Posters might be reluctant to compliment another PL club on nsc, especially in top 6, with the inevitable backlash of alleged disloyalty to the Albion. Seems to be rife this season, for example, around the time of the Liverpool and Chelsea home games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Posters might be reluctant to compliment another PL club on nsc, especially in top 6, with the inevitable backlash of alleged disloyalty to the Albion. Seems to be rife this season, for example, around the time of the Liverpool and Chelsea home games.

You'd have thought one of the Spurs fans on here would have mentioned something. :whistle:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've been home alone for a couple of nights so I've watched bits of all the games. Quite enjoyed it, to be honest. Porto looked half decent for the first part of the match and then just fell apart...

However, am I bothered about any English team winning the competition? Not really.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Madrid vs PSG was a fantastically entertaining game. Two of the favourites. Drama, controversy and goals. The quality of football is so high. As a football fan, I really enjoy watching these type of games, the best players in the world all on the pitch together. Of course nothing beats watching Brighton, but these kind of games I can't miss either.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I play squash out here and we have quite an active community, with a lot of players (who are mostly not US-born) also footie fans. One of the WhatsApp groups we have has been filled with talk of the Champions League matches the last two days. Me? I'm completely "meh" about it. Someone at work this morning started to talk about the Spurs game last night and I didn't even know the score.

I record all the Premier League games that get shown over here and I'll typically spend a large chunk of my weekend watching the matches (with the aid of the fast forward button, obviously). I even recorded and watched a number of the FA Cup matches in the last round. As for the Champions League - I couldn't even tell you what channel televises the games and if I get them.

I can't explain why, but the Champions League seems to be so far down my list of footballing priorities that it has dropped off the bottom. :shrug:

Noah All

Jan 2, 2018
The shed
Watching Liverpool destroy Porto, I had this dream that in the future I was watching the Albion destroy some team in the Champions League.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here