Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Champions League

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I watched the Madrid match. It's like a soap opera, proper box office, sort of Eurotrash Jersey Shore. Flicks and tricks, elaborate turns, diving galore. And occasionally, brilliant football.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Do you think that ITV losing its (free to air) rights for CL football, led to the decline in interest in this country? When they aired it, most sports fans I knew tuned in.

Definitely the case for me - use to tune in regularly when it was on ITV but now i simply CBA to subscribe to it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't find the figures but the income of any Premier League team now must dwarf those of any Portuguese and most other European clubs these days, so I guess it's inevitable.

Very true, PL top 6 figures must smash all but: Barca, Real, Bayern, PSG, Juve, plus clubs with billionaire owners such as Monaco.

But on a CL thread on redcafe last night of all places, a Porto fan posted that their record ever CL home defeat had been by 2 goals. Until last night's 5. They may not have the huge money, but they've always had very good technical players including from Latin America, but excellent coach/managers.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Regardless of who you support surely watching the best club teams in Europe is a must for any fan who just enjoys the art and skill of football.

I find it odd people who just watch their own team and their own team only. Are you just supporting the team for the sake of it or is there a passion for the game?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Porto 0 - 5 Liverpool happening in front of me on the TV right now. Incredible stuff from Liverpool - nice of them to bother to turn up tonight.

Great comeback from Spurs last night. 2-0 down at Juve, but come back to draw and sets it up for a cracking second leg at Wembley.

Man City beat some noddy side away handsomely last night too.

Have any of these things even had a mention on NSC over the past couple of days? Do Albion fans, as a fanbase, just not give a toss about the Champions League?
Not really that bothered, but given our run in it should be advantageous if these teams continue to do well in the CL.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Anyone questioning watching the champions league. Rewatch the Barcelona vs Bayern game from 2014/15 when Messi put Boeteng on his arse to make it 3-0.

Mesmerising game of the highest quality that I have ever seen. It is for this reason that football needs this competition to test the elite against the elite.

I personally always watch and support the English teams in Europe. This does not make me any less of an Albion fan I just feel it's a great feather in English footballs cap to have the European champions in our country, playing in our league.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Surprised by Chelsea's conservative tactics and change of formation tonight, especially at home. They are showing Barca far too much respect - they aren't as good as they used to be - have a bit more belief in your own players!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
0-0 HT - Barca dominating possession, but Chelsea are looking more dangerous in attack, when they decide to. Hit the post twice.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here