Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Here We Go Again - Breaking News Florida Shooting At High School

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
It makes you wonder what it would take for the US to change their gun laws. Their most popular political figures have been shot dead, school children gunned down, atrocities in every state and no sign of a law change.

Go down the VFW or American Legion hall, and you'll be put straight toot-suite.

"Look, we need all those guns.

Some day They are going to come boiling out of the cities to take our women and our wide-screen TV's and we have to be ready. Or...
Some day, They are going to come in the night to take our guns and put us all in camps.
Or... Some day, They are going to come and truck-bomb the food court at the mall and make it illegal to be a Christian and put all our women in burqas.

If it weren't for the sheer number of liberals and colored people and Moslems, we wouldn't need all those guns.

So it's really their fault. "

The truth is out there. You just have to ask around. And remember, bingo night on Wednesday and Saturday.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
If you dip your toes in to the murky waters of the American right online, you'll soon be reading about no go zones in Europe. It's not hard to come across, their ****ing president is one of them.
It BOGGLES the brain to think that an adult living in that country can fear something so far removed from their lives whilst shrugging their shoulders when their own kids get shot up in school, time and time again.
But, now is not the time for this kind of talk, thoughts and prayers etc.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Soon the schools over there will resemble prison camps with razor wired fences and maximum security access gates.
Can't see it going any other way if things don't change.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Soon the schools over there will resemble prison camps with razor wired fences and maximum security access gates.
Can't see it going any other way if things don't change.

It's just the price of freedom, all that security.

Hey, wait a minute....

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Its not just the guns. Sky article included: "at least one AR-15 assault rifle, a gas mask, smoke grenades and several magazines of ammunition". In the hands of a civilian, not special forces.

RIP the 17. Hope the others pull through.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The answer as to why the government can't just roll in gun law changes is simple.

Unlike Britain where the population has been the suppressed bitches of the establishment for a thousand years the US population has always had a far more individualistic mind set where they don't just shrink before the establishment and many would take up arms against their own government if it were to impinge on what they perceived as their personal rights.

The old adage "My home is my castle" is taken very seriously in many parts of the US.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The answer as to why the government can't just roll in gun law changes is simple.

Unlike Britain where the population has been the suppressed bitches of the establishment for a thousand years the US population has always had a far more individualistic mind set where they don't just shrink before the establishment and many would take up arms against their own government if it were to impinge on what they perceived as their personal rights.

The old adage "My home is my castle" is taken very seriously in many parts of the US.

Think I prefer being a suppressed bitch rather than worrying whether my kids get out of a school day alive.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Think I prefer being a suppressed bitch rather than worrying whether my kids get out of a school day alive.

There's plenty of states in the US that have never had a mass shooting.

Hawaii and Montana have two of the highest gun ownership % in the nation but have never had a mass shooting incident.

Mass shootings make up the tiniest of % of gun deaths. Suicides make up the overwhelming majority.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Hawaii and Montana have two of the highest gun ownership % in the nation but have never had a mass shooting incident.

Mass shootings make up the tiniest of % of gun deaths. Suicides make up the overwhelming majority.

Oh well that's okay, could always look at it once all the states have had one I guess.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Yet, i still prefer not to have teenagers armed with military grade weapons in the my community. Guess im unusual.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I maybe wrong, but are most mass shootings like this, and other mass shootings in the USA committed with handguns?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Be more effective to deal with mental health issues at play than the guns themselves.

Is there any particular reason not to deal with both at the same time?

I'm not sure why civilians need to own a gun like the AR-15. A nice bolt action rifle with a nice wooden stock for some weekend hunting is surely sufficient.

Anyway, I googled your claim about 'plenty' of states have not had a mass shooting, actually USA Today reported that since 2006, only 2 US states have not had a mass shooting, Hawaii and Idaho. Although, Hawaii did have a mass shooting in the Xerox factory in 1999.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Be more effective to deal with mental health issues at play than the guns themselves.
Imagine the impossibility of that task. The resources to monitor behaviour for a start. And, in addition, a lot of people displaying paranoid and destructive tendencies either don't actually carry out their threats or simply fly under the radar.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

No, it wouldn't, but your comment does illustrate the problem with this discussion, i.e. that people tend to argue for simplistic magic bullet solutions ( apologies for the horrible pun). To deal with this the US needs to look at a variety of issues, from gun control to mental health provision to honour and revenge culture to shock jocks spewing hate amongst other things. There is no wand that can be waved that will make this go away.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
many would take up arms against their own government if it were to impinge on what they perceived as their personal rights.

The US Government has spy satellites, nuclear warheads, every chemical and biological weapon known to man on tap, access to virtually everything in your communications history, stealth bombers, the largest infantry force on the planet and can extend it's military might from one corner of the world to the other. It could probably work out a way of fighting you on the moon in about 6 months.

I doubt Cleetus and his shotgun is going to cause them too many sleepless nights. Although if they want to be big men perhaps they might be better off taking on the local military base rather than a school full of defenceless kids.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The US Government has spy satellites, nuclear warheads, every chemical and biological weapon known to man on tap, access to virtually everything in your communications history, stealth bombers, the largest infantry force on the planet and can extend it's military might from one corner of the world to the other. It could probably work out a way of fighting you on the moon in about 6 months.

I doubt Cleetus and his shotgun is going to cause them too many sleepless nights. Although if they want to be big men perhaps they might be better off taking on the local military base rather than a school full of defenceless kids.

Your folly is that you think it's only the common man who thinks that way. Plenty in high places also share that sentiment. Plenty of their military do too...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Imagine the impossibility of that task. The resources to monitor behaviour for a start. And, in addition, a lot of people displaying paranoid and destructive tendencies either don't actually carry out their threats or simply fly under the radar.

It's more workable than taking peoples guns off them in that nation.

People think a mass shooting is big news. The blood that would be shed should they come for peoples guns would make these incidents seem small by comparison.

That's the reality of the situation. Turning law abiding citizens into criminals over night would not go down well in the US.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here