Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Here We Go Again - Breaking News Florida Shooting At High School

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you are spot on to be honest. It is an incredible situation and one that is not going to change. If they didn't do anything after Sandy Hook they never will.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Barrack Obama made it very clear after Sandy Hook to the American people there is a choice however it is a path they had chosen not to take.

The only way this could have changed, possibly in recent times, would have been if Hillary Clinton had been elected as she had at least made a promise to try and resolve this issue where as, as stated, all others in authority in the USA bury their head in the sand.

People think Brexit is bad, the apocalypse happens far too regularly in the USA.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After one of the other recent mass shootings in America - now there's an opening line!! - I did a deep dive into Assault Rifles and the AR-15.

I'm not going to do that again, as I have only just got my NSC advertising back to my comfort zone 'the world's best umbrella' :lol: but I do suggest people start here, and keep digging:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_AR-15

See how many times you say to yourself - "and you can legally buy that".

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
All countries have people with mental health issues. Only America has regular school shootings.

Mental health is not the problem here. The accessibility of guns is.

Yes, as proven in Australia where gun control laws were introduced in the 1990s after several US style mass shootings. There have not been any similar incidents since.
My view though is that Trump, the NRA etc partly get away with their lack of a logical argument because many of the vocal anti gun lobby voices are also aggressively pro individual rights. The strongest argument against guns is that it damages the collective good. To make this case you have to believe in society and many people these days are more interested in individual rights than they are in individual responsibilities. For example, if one is making a case for individuals’ right to take drugs regardless of the detrimental effects on community then it is extremely difficult to refute the claims of the gun lobby in doing the same.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just like every new generation it's the kids that want to change for the better!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Trump will at sometime figure out that if he puts all the "Dreamers" (those born to illegal US immigrants and have never lived outside the states) in an school they might not have as big a problem.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Best way forward by a (sorry) long shot is through the kids and their new social media normal and their shaming and vilification of the NRA and those politicians who try and defend the indefensible. Those people are on the wrong side of history and need to be made aware of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Best way forward by a (sorry) long shot is through the kids and their new social media normal and their shaming and vilification of the NRA and those politicians who try and defend the indefensible. Those people are on the wrong side of history and need to be made aware of it.

DWK7tv7XkAEwmZD.jpg

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Its easy to bash Americans for being insular, isolated and USA focused, because in honesty many are. Travel does indeed broaden the horizons and Americans dont travel in comparison to many others. But spare a thought before you become too harsh, Holiday time is not a given across the US, many dont have the luxury of paid holiday, those that are lucky enough to have it average about 10 days a year.If you split that to two holiday periods a year, why would you waste a weeks holiday in Europe for example spending two of those days travelling, you wouldnt, you would stay more local........just saying.

That’s a misnomer.

Many foreign organisations who have offices in the US offer far longer holidays than 10 days. Mine included. When I was living in Manhattan setting up a new office we interviewed many staff whose holiday entitlement was substantially above 10 days.

Most Americans don’t travel abroad because the6 are too insular to want to. Not because they can’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
While I'm having a slow morning at work, 2 more observations from my time in the US recently:

1) On the whole they really are quite simple people - even the educated ones have little to no initiative, creativity etc. They perform jobs like robots - very mechanical, no independent thought.
2) They are incredibly insular and isolated - they have almost no knowledge of the outside world. Not many leave the country, and if they do they keep it local (Canada, Carribean etc). And all their news channels are so US-centric that they have virtually no knowledge of other countries and cultures. They don't think their gun laws are extraordinary, because they don't know they are. They absolutely expect everyone in the UK to be carrying guns and having the same levels of gun crime they do - because they don't get any news from outside the US, they don't see any evidence to disprove this so continue in their assumption that it's the case.

Your second point is bang on.

I remember watching a news report about a 6 year old being shot dead by police at a public park in Pittsburgh because they thought it was a real gun.

In the UK this would be truly shocking but it’s just part of life in the US because guns are such an intrinsic part of life. The programme just calmly moved on to the next news item

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Your second point is bang on.

I remember watching a news report about a 6 year old being shot dead by police at a public park in Pittsburgh because they thought it was a real gun.

In the UK this would be truly shocking but it’s just part of life in the US because guns are such an intrinsic part of life. The programme just calmly moved on to the next news item

Agree second point bang on

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That’s a misnomer.

No it isn't. I work for a US company who are a constituent of the S&P 500; employees start out with 10 days vacation. After 5 years, you get an extra five days and after 10 years you get another 5 days, making 20 days in total (for a 10-year veteran).

The vast majority of US companies (in my expereince) give 10 days vacation as a starting point.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
While I'm having a slow morning at work, 2 more observations from my time in the US recently:

1) On the whole they really are quite simple people - even the educated ones have little to no initiative, creativity etc. They perform jobs like robots - very mechanical, no independent thought.
2) They are incredibly insular and isolated - they have almost no knowledge of the outside world. Not many leave the country, and if they do they keep it local (Canada, Carribean etc). And all their news channels are so US-centric that they have virtually no knowledge of other countries and cultures. They don't think their gun laws are extraordinary, because they don't know they are. They absolutely expect everyone in the UK to be carrying guns and having the same levels of gun crime they do - because they don't get any news from outside the US, they don't see any evidence to disprove this so continue in their assumption that it's the case.

Funny, I've lived over here for just over 2 years now and find very little of your findings to be true. Maybe anecdotal evidence is a bit shit and just makes you look ignorant yourself?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Funny, I've lived over here for just over 2 years now and find very little of your findings to be true. Maybe anecdotal evidence is a bit shit and just makes you look ignorant yourself?

This.

I’ve spent a fair bit of time in the States off and on, and I don’t recognise much in those findings.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No it isn't. I work for a US company who are a constituent of the S&P 500; employees start out with 10 days vacation. After 5 years, you get an extra five days and after 10 years you get another 5 days, making 20 days in total (for a 10-year veteran).

The vast majority of US companies (in my expereince) give 10 days vacation as a starting point.

When we went to Disney when the boys were younger the Americans couldn't believe we had booked two weeks holiday. Most of them were on weekend breaks due to having just 2 weeks holiday a year. We have it rather good over here

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
When we went to Disney when the boys were younger the Americans couldn't believe we had booked two weeks holiday. Most of them were on weekend breaks due to having just 2 weeks holiday a year. We have it rather good over here

Only if you're PAYE and work for a company. Us self employed get nothing.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

Maybe someone with a myopic world view attracts like minded people. Just saying.

Having been married to an American for 7 years and been living here for 6 years I find these stereotypical comments like Clarkey’s very lazy.

Might as well just call all English football fans hooligans.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here