Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Here We Go Again - Breaking News Florida Shooting At High School

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What’s the definition of a mass shooting? More than 5? 10?

Good question.

I'm not sure I'd consider 2 deaths a mass shooting. There's also the context in which it occurred.

If some gang banger does a drive by shooting and kills a bunch of people it tends not to get reported as would an incident where someone walks into an office and kills a bunch of people.

I guess in answer to your question it's down to each person what they would consider a "mass" shooting.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I don't think that anything you have posted has proved that to be the bottom line so I remain skeptical.

The more I look into it the more it seems that Wyoming is right up there in terms of gun deaths.

Depends on how you count seems to be about right to me https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/wonkblog/mass-shooting-definition/

Can you clarify the point you are trying to make with all these statistics?

I'm pointing out that the gun death statistics people push as evidence against guns include suicides for one. Which is being dishonest as they are pushing those statistics as if all the people in those numbers were shot dead by another's hand.

The point I'm making is that just because there are a high number of guns present (per head of population) does not mean it will lead to death in large numbers by another persons hand.

Wyoming being one example of that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm pointing out that the gun death statistics people push as evidence against guns include suicides for one. Which is being dishonest as they are pushing those statistics as if all the people in those numbers were shot dead by another's hand.

The point I'm making is that just because there are a high number of guns present (per head of population) does not mean it will lead to death in large numbers by another persons hand.

Wyoming being one example of that.
Okay cheers, thought so.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The link you provided is interesting, mainly because it highlights the ten states where no mass shootings have occurred.

If you look at the states not linked to any mass shootings:

1. Wyoming
Wyoming has the highest number of registered guns per capita of any state in America. For every 1,000 residents, there are 195.7 guns, about three times the rate of second-place D.C. That's 114,052 registered firearms in a state with a population of only 582,658 people.
The key point being that it's the smallest US state by population.

4. New Mexico
New Mexico comes in at number four, with 40.5 guns for every 1,000 residents. That's 84,471 registered firearms among 2,085,287 people.
Massive state, tiny population.

6. Idaho
Idaho comes in at number six, with 24.2 guns for every 1,000 residents. That's 39,019 registered firearms among 1,612,136 people.
And another big state with hardly anyone living there.

So the no.1 gun owning state in the US has never had a mass shooting, in fact 3 out of the top 6 gun owning states never have.

Does that not suggest that perhaps its a states to state thing when it comes to responsible gun owners and that states gun culture that can impact such incidents?
It's certainly less of a problem in large states with small populations, yes.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Serves them right, if they're quite happy to let their kids get mass murdered every year

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Change FaceBook status to "Pray for Florida", ignore the cause.
Await next shooting to change FaceBook status, ignore cause

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why can't a responsible gun owner own one if they want?

Laws are never made for the responsible majority, they are generally made to protect the responsible majority.

There is no doubt a responsible gun owners can have an AR-15 semi-automatic military grade assault rifle and never do anyone any harm, the question society has to ask is, is it worth the risk of a non responsible person having one?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Maybe Americans should be treated like kids caught smoking - i.e make them smoke the whole packet.

Give everyone guns. Give them lots of guns each. Make it legal to carry them, use them, have them all the time. Sell weapons and ammo in every shop.

Hopefully it wont take the long for the message to sink in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm the least of your worries. Thanks to my political views you'd never have to worry about me impinging on any of your rights or life.

Of course, it is debatable whether your shared political views would impinge on my rights and life or not; the right to arms has certainly impinged on the lives of 17 Floridians.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DWBd_YxVwAEtM2k.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]964110212885106689[/tweet]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If America looked outwards and could see the different attitude towards guns that the rest of the world has it might reflect that something is very wrong in their society.

Unfortunately, with Trump looking ever more inwards and backwards with "Let's Make America great again" there is zero chance of any progressive, substantive changes to gun laws.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Schools should be a safe place for children. America is failing it's citizens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know America is completely screwed and irreparable when you find yourself saying:-

'You're right Piers':-

[tweet]963918470357319680[/tweet]

[tweet]963918820355096576[/tweet]

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Very very few are. The vast majority of gun deaths are not by assault rifles.

Basic hand guns are the major weapon used.

I'm not convinced victim's families are really going to care whether a bullet came from a basic hand gun or an assault rifle - the result is just the same - murder. I'm with Dave on this one, I'd rather be suppressed and live in a non-gun totting society.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe if the US people are unwilling to amend the constitution around gun ownership (and apparently it's sacrilege to amend the constitution, as evidenced by the second amendment being an amendment), maybe the solution is to adhere to the spirit of it as well as the letter and just ban people from owning guns produced after 1788?

That way you can own as many muskets which take two minutes to reload as you like but can't just wander round with semi-automatic weapons capable of slaughtering a hundred people in the blink of an eye?

Or rather than control the guns at all ban ammo - guns aren't a lot of use without it but the Americans would then keep their right to bear arms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here