Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Here We Go Again - Breaking News Florida Shooting At High School

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Okay so while discussing something with me you are simultaneously arguing with 'anti-gun types'?

You are probably right about the culture but it is the culture that clings to the 2nd amendment and fights any kind of gun control. I would agree that it is the culture needs to change and hopefully it will. how will we know when things have changed? I would say that one of the first indications of this will be that laws will be passed. Hopefully soon after this school shootings will reduce.

I think the number of guns in Australia is reasonable given our culture and laws. Everything seems to work pretty well and I have no complaints.

I think it will come down to how many people start reporting potential threats. If that goes up then people get it. If all they rely on is "ban guns" then they are idiots and nothing will actually change or be prevented.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think it will come down to how many people start reporting potential threats. If that goes up then people get it. If all they rely on is "ban guns" then they are idiots and nothing will actually change or be prevented.

Of course not, 'ban guns' is a simplistic and unhelpful argument. Who is it you are arguing this point with?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But that's the point, it is.

When you say "That it's not that common an occurrence?", that's the sort of comment you might attribute to somebody nervous about seeing a Muslim on a tube wearing a rucksack, and it would be a fair enough comment on your part when you look at the statistics. However, look at the stats here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Sort by "Total" downwards and there are dozens of third world countries that have a lower "firearm related deaths" rate than the USA.

So what good can possibly come of having firearms on the streets? That's why people are fearful or guns, and it's perfectly rational.

Well you're never going to get the firearms off the streets.

People aren't afraid of people with permits to conceal and carry. They are afraid of thugs with guns.

The video below is why so many Americans own guns and will use them if threatened.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Of course not, 'ban guns' is a simplistic and unhelpful argument. Who is it you are arguing this point with?

I'm not arguing, just pointing out banning guns is a terrible idea that won't work.

Not necessarily suggesting that's your POV as you seem more aware of the complexities and can discuss it without using emotions as a reason to form a discussion point that has no basis in fact.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thing is, actual life in prison isn't enough of a deterrent over there

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not arguing, just pointing out banning guns is a terrible idea that won't work.

Not necessarily suggesting that's your POV as you seem more aware of the complexities and can discuss it without using emotions as a reason to form a discussion point that has no basis in fact.

Okay, I will leave you to your pointing stuff out to imaginary emotional liberals :shrug: :thumbsup:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Hardly, people reported this latest shooter. It could have potentially been avoided.

This is a failure by the law, the public did what they should have done.

Sure mate. Maybe there will be no more school multiple shootings this year in the USA.
Im sorry, but i think its reasonable to expect my child not be gunned down when they go to school, by somebody armed with a military grade assault rifle. Maybe we are different.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sure mate. Maybe there will be no more school multiple shootings this year in the USA.
Fancy a wager?
Im sorry, but i think its reasonable to expect my child not be gunned down when they go to school. Maybe we are different.

I'll bet more people die from guns in black mens hands than school shooters, bet?

I agree you should have that expectation. That's why I'd have no issue having a teacher conceal and carrying to protect my kids.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hardly, people reported this latest shooter. It could have potentially been avoided.

This is a failure by the law, the public did what they should have done.

It's not often I agree with you but I do on this point.
Personally I'd like to see much tighter gun control but that will take generation upon generation living under stricter gun ownership laws for it to sink into their ethos.

This latest shooting was obviously due to gun ownership and a lot to do with the authorities not doing their job.
Add to the mix that the NRA wield great influence in the US political halls of power and guy have a big problem.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I'll bet more people die from guns in black mens hands than school shooters, bet?

I agree you should have that expectation. That's why I'd have no issue having a teacher conceal and carrying to protect my kids.

Maybe, and the people who will mostly be killed will be black people, and will mostly be gang related. However, this thread is about people walking into schools, with military grade weapons, and now you are suggesting that that lovely old lady who teaches in a school should be armed to the teeth to protect the children in their care? Thats ****ed up
Why the need for Military grade fecking assault rifles in the first place? What is the purpose of owning one? Its ridiculous.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Maybe, and the people who will mostly be killed will be black people. However, this thread is about people walking into schools, with military grade weapons, and now you are suggesting that that lovely old lady who teaches in a school should be armed to the teeth to protect the children in the care? Thats ****ed up mate.
Why the need for Military grade fecking assault rifles in the first place? What is the purpose of owning one? Its ridiculous.

I'll have a go at that one.

I'll suggest it's down to a lot of ex-servicemen liking the style of gun (having been trained with similar) and wanting to be able to use one at a range or out shooting targets once out of the military. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to suggest that many who own them are still in the military.

Given how many of them are out there and the low numbers of deaths attributed to them compared to other guns maybe most of them are in the hands of responsible gun owners.

It's ridiculous to you. You have no interest in guns. That's fair enough.

Having shot a similar gun at a range it's awesome fun.

Yoda

English & European
If you think it takes time to get a tax legislation through imagine how long it would take to get the second amendment altered.

Attacking the 2nd amendment head on won't work. It needs to be a way that circumnavigates that constitutional right.

Unfortunately for America, any talk of who to stop/lower gun crime and gun related killings. The NRA AND Congress are the first to be shouting out how it's an attack on the second amendment and F all happens as normal. :down:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's why I'd have no issue having a teacher conceal and carrying to protect my kids.

So you now have a situation where the angry student, rather than having to walk into school with the gun, can now simply wrestle a (lets say) 50 year old woman to get her firearm which is already in the building.

You've turned it from a situation where it is pre-meditated (and thus have the opportunity for sanity to kick in and call off the idea of going into a school with a gun), to a situation where an angry teenager who, for example, has just had an argument with a teacher can now get the gun off them (which they all know they now have).

Or do we now also load up 7 strong sensible kids per class with guns to account for that situation?

In what UNIVERSE is giving more guns (and ESPECIALLY guns to teachers who, when they started their careers as TEACHERS, have literally no desire/ability to be firearm trained) the right idea?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
So you now have a situation where the angry student, rather than having to walk into school with the gun, can now simply wrestle a (lets say) 50 year old woman to get her firearm which is already in the building.

You've turned it from a situation where it is pre-meditated (and thus have the opportunity for sanity to kick in and call off the idea of going into a school with a gun), to a situation where an angry teenager who, for example, has just had an argument with a teacher can now get the gun off them (which they all know they now have).

Or do we now also load up 7 strong sensible kids per class with guns to account for that situation?

In what UNIVERSE is giving more guns (and ESPECIALLY guns to teachers who, when they started their careers as TEACHERS, have literally no desire/ability to be firearm trained) the right idea?

I hear that Hollywood are already rushing through a new blockbuster franchise on vigilante teachers. They are using the script from Carry on Teacher as a base. Sly and Stephen Seagal have already signed up....

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Trump thinks that arming teachers could be a possible solution, words fail me.

Unbelievable. My niece is a teacher - it's not her job to instantly decide whether to shoot a mentally ill kid. Or anyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here