Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tom Daley announces baby news

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
So many posts in this thread make me think of this:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Up to press, seven companies have said they are withdrawing from advertising in the DM, because of that article.

Well said Richard Littlejohn. And as for Centre Parcs and the rest who have withdrawn their advertising from the Mail .... they are products I won't be using in the future. What has happened to free speech?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well said Richard Littlejohn. And as for Centre Parcs and the rest who have withdrawn their advertising from the Mail .... they are products I won't be using in the future. What has happened to free speech?

Are you saying there is no longer free speech?

To me it looks like The Daily Mail has all the free speech it wants, as does Centre Parcs.
I take it you are happy to donate your money to Rainbow Families?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What has happened to free speech?

Nothing. No one has stopped you posting your moronic, outdated, homophobic bigoted crap on NSC ad nauseam, all that is does is reinforce the view of you as a complete twunt.

If people don't want to be associated with the Daily Mail because it supports dinosaur like views from professional shit stirrers such as Littlejohn, that's their call, the same as for advertisers, if they want their brand aligned with such views then it's a business decision.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
To those against this, I would ask - what are your views on single-parent families?

If you genuinely have a belief that a child needs to grow up in an environment with a male and female role model, then you would surely be against the above as well. This would put you massively at odds with society (where single parent families are hugely common for many reasons), however I would agree that this is a legitimate view about society.

However, if you don't have a problem with this, but do have a problem with gay couples raising a child, you are either saying that you don't think gay people are to be trusted to bring up kids, or that you have concerns about children growing up with a same-sex relationship being normalised. Either way, it comes across as very bigoted.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

There's free speech and there's a homophobic, racist, biggoted comic masquerading as a serious newspaper that spouts nothing but inflammatory lies on a daily basis and you're a complete idiot if you can't differentiate between the two.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's free speech and there's a homophobic, racist, biggoted comic masquerading as a serious newspaper that spouts nothing but inflammatory lies on a daily basis and you're a complete idiot if you can't differentiate between the two.

or...

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

Forgive me if I am wrong , but I thought that Free speech is not confined to one view point.
Surely Centre Parc removing their association with the Daily Mail and distancing themselves from Littlejohn's views is just another example of free speech. Therefore I am surprised you are not celebrating this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Not a fan of Centre Parcs myself, but it has suddenly become a lot more appealing safe in the knowledge that I won't have an ignorant clown like you there.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
To those against this, I would ask - what are your views on single-parent families?

If you genuinely have a belief that a child needs to grow up in an environment with a male and female role model, then you would surely be against the above as well. This would put you massively at odds with society (where single parent families are hugely common for many reasons), however I would agree that this is a legitimate view about society.

However, if you don't have a problem with this, but do have a problem with gay couples raising a child, you are either saying that you don't think gay people are to be trusted to bring up kids, or that you have concerns about children growing up with a same-sex relationship being normalised. Either way, it comes across as very bigoted.

Why does having the opinion that the best environment for a child to grow up in is one with a loving male and female parent mean that you must be against all other scenarios?

I’m not against single parent families or same sex families.

Your post comes across as bigoted - i.e. as intolerant towards others who hold a different view.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Why does having the opinion that the best environment for a child to grow up in is one with a loving male and female parent mean that you must be against all other scenarios?

I’m not against single parent families or same sex families.

Your post comes across as bigoted - i.e. as intolerant towards others who hold a different view.

Surely you realise that's not the point of my post at all? I specifically said that it's completely legitimate to believe that.

Ok, so I should acknowledge that some people can believe this is best but still not object to other forms of families.

Correction should read:

"If you genuinely have a belief that a child needs to grow up in an environment with a male and female role model and object to same-sex parents for this reason, then you would surely be against the above as well. This would put you massively at odds with society (where single parent families are hugely common for many reasons), however I would agree that this is a legitimate view about society."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Regarding 'what has happened to free speech' I concur with all those who replied 'nothing'.

So, stand by for the next arcane cliche: 'Political correctness gone mad'.

In advance of this, the cliche actually implies that there is such a thing as political correctness, and a tacit acceptance that it is a good thing, except when its gone mad. Now, this is illogical, since 'political corrctness' is also used as a sneer term by broflakes. This is itself illogical since how can 'correctness' be wrong? To me, something whose political aspect is 'correct' is surely something of which to approve. And it can no more go mad than 'health and safety' can go mad. Which of course it can - but only in the context that health and safety is a good thing. Which it is. So basically people who say 'political correctness gone mad' are people who resent political correctness, and have only a poor grasp of the English language. The sort of people for whom it has probably taken 40 years to learn to describe dark skinned people as 'coloured'. :facepalm:

And remember, it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. :facepalm:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Knowing two people with same sex parents, who are now grown up and very happy- and with one of them being a close friend- I’ve let this thread wind me up too much. So I’ll issue my last point.

I believe, and know from testimony, that all a baby is interested in is survival. That is ensured through the love and support of its parent(s). The baby has no concept on those parents biology and even less interest. It will grow up caring little for it. Until…

There comes a day when questions get asked and slurs get made. They could get bullied, taunted, made to feel different. (I know it happened to my friend many years back). But the problem is that they don’t understand why. They have done nothing wrong- and neither have their parents.

So what does this tell us ? It says that the real issue at hand here is not the circumstances of birth and nurture but the opposition to it. So by opposing it the whole concept of same sex parenting is called into question by virtue of the attitudes towards it and not the fact.

So basically, YOU are the reason why it may not work, YOU are the reason that some get bullied and YOU are the reason why healthy and balanced individuals may be caused to doubt themselves.

My words sound harsh and I do not wish to make slight of your character on the basis of a simple ignorant viewpoint.

Perhaps if you met my friend you would understand. But you wouldn’t be in for a comfortable time. When you challenge a person's right to exist, and meet their soft reasoning in person, it can be rather humbling.

What a fantastic post. Articulate and accurate.

Shame the thread's still rolling...

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
As per usual in England the usual pathetic overreaction as soon as anyone dares to say anything that could be construed as 'homophobia' or racism.' I thought Littlejohn's article was a well written and balanced one and I admired his conviction to put his head above the parapet probably knowing the reaction it would provoke for not joining in the 'congrats Tom and whathisface fest' we've had all week mainly by people wishing to showcase how right on they are.

Children do benefit far more by having a man and a dad, no matter what the right on brigade claim.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As per usual in England the usual pathetic overreaction as soon as anyone dares to say anything that could be construed as 'homophobia' or racism.' I thought Littlejohn's article was a well written and balanced one and I admired his conviction to put his head above the parapet probably knowing the reaction it would provoke for not joining in the 'congrats Tom and whathisface fest' we've had all week mainly by people wishing to showcase how right on they are.

Children do benefit far more by having a man and a dad, no matter what the right on brigade claim.
The only reason he put his head above the parapet was because he knew what reaction he'd get.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
The only reason he put his head above the parapet was because he knew what reaction he'd get.

He's a columnist he's paid to provoke reaction.......Besides which that's his personal view re same sex parents. This country is so obsessed with political correctness to the point it stifles free speech. I would imagine his view is shared by the majority of the country but many would be afraid of expressing it for fear of being labelled 'homophobic'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In advance of this, the cliche actually implies that there is such a thing as political correctness, and a tacit acceptance that it is a good thing, except when its gone mad. Now, this is illogical, since 'political corrctness' is also used as a sneer term by broflakes. This is itself illogical since how can 'correctness' be wrong? To me, something whose political aspect is 'correct' is surely something of which to approve. And it can no more go mad than 'health and safety' can go mad. Which of course it can - but only in the context that health and safety is a good thing. Which it is. So basically people who say 'political correctness gone mad' are people who resent political correctness, and have only a poor grasp of the English language. The sort of people for whom it has probably taken 40 years to learn to describe dark skinned people as 'coloured'. :facepalm:

reckon you've hoisted yourself on your own petard there. you say because stem word "correct" is used it means approval. does that mean "right wing" is right as is correct too? of course not. just because the word "correct" is used does mean you agree with it, which is rather the point from those how scorn political correctness.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's a columnist he's paid to provoke reaction.
Begging the question:-

'why admire his conviction to basically do the job he is well paid to do'?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I would imagine his view is shared by the majority of the country

If that ever turns out to be the case, we need to sink this island and start again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here