[Food] So what is the king of curries?

Choose your favourite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I’ve been to India and didnt find one curry you would find in a tandoori curry house over here. So whatever you are eating is generally made up and unique to the UK.

So have I, and you are quite right of course. In fact the word curry, simply means gravy in India. I know of no other dishes that were specifically known to be invented in Birmingham though, other than the most popular 'Indian' dish of all, the Tikka Mosalla.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You know you don't have to make a new years resolution BG - you can literally just put them on ignore.

Hope its not me xx

I can assure you it is not you and as you say I could just put him on ignore but I prefer to read what further rubbish comments he makes about me coming from somebody who doesnt know me or anything about me other than what his drinking buddies, , who know about as much, have told him .

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Chicken Naga... that Nag chilli is a beaut.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If it's somewhere I know then it's a prawn Madras. If it's a new place then I might try something a bit different.

At home I use a recipe given to me by an Indian friend
curry.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lamb Karahi. not on the list but will be best in many places as its what they cook at home (so im told, if they're from north India/Pakistan). otherwise Jalfrezi or Rogan Josh. Or Dupiaza. Dhansak is good too.

let face it, its all good, except butter chicken and vindaloo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Many years ago I worked for a chap whose wife came from Singapore and she used to make her curry by cooking it on a very low simmer all day Sunday then left in the outside cold box, as she didnt have a fridge in those days, to get cold and reheated for dinner on Thursday it was fabulous.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Chicken jalfrezi or garlic chilli chicken for me btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
So have I, and you are quite right of course. In fact the word curry, simply means gravy in India. I know of no other dishes that were specifically known to be invented in Birmingham though, other than the most popular 'Indian' dish of all, the Tikka Mosalla.

Balti means bucket too.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
No idea what it's called, but the Indian couple across the road make a Vegetable curry that is unlike anything i've ever eaten in a Curry House and it is SUPERB.

THIS.

Everything in restaurants is blended for the British/Western palate.

Anything cooked at home by Indians shits all over most take away or restaurant curries.

I absolutely love a dish which is effectively curried chicken soup with home made masala spice, potatoes and a tomato and onion gravy. Bloody handsome but not on any menu anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Each to their own, of course, but I'm not sure a top-notch vindaloo would have potato in it. The name comes from the Portuguese Carne de Vinha d'Alhos (meat with wine and garlic). It has nothing to do with "aloo".

You are quite correct. I didn't get duped with the Hindi -aloo/potato thing, as I knew it's originally a Portuguese dish. I did think that the Portuguese did put spuds in it though. Anyhoo, the best vindaloos I've had have contained potato, rather than the basic gravy ripped to the tits with chilli powder.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
The veggie dishes in Chennai Dosa in Southampton are to DIE for, especially the chilli paneer. Absolutely incredible.

My absolute favourite dish is Saag lamb in a Punjabi place here called Sanjha. Nice amount of heat and they slow cook the lamb so it's melt in the mouth, rather than the chewy cubes that a lot of curry houses are guilty of.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Jhalfrezi hands down! Especially with a garlic Naan , plain rice and onion salad. Only tried a Jhalfrezi for the first time a few years back after spending a couple of decades always ordering a Madras (which varied considerably heat wise)

The Cinnamon Lounge in Littlehampton has to be the best Jhalfrezi I have tasted but they do vary in quality(and portion size) depending what night you order.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
As mentioned, authentic Indian food is far superior. Not all 'Indians' are even owned by those from India. A lot are owned by people from Bangladesh, for example. However, for the purposes of the thread, it has to be the Dhansak.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Chicken Naga

Oh so very much this. Can't remember what spasm of curiosity or boredom led me to the "Chef's Specials" section of the Balti Express menu but the Naga was like discovering curry all over again. It's been my go-to curry choice ever since. As long as I know that I'll have ready access to toilet facilities the following day...

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I put jalfrezi, pretty much never goes wrong even at a mediocre restaurant
Close call vs Bhuna though, had the most fantastic prawn one recently
You are spoilt for choice for restaurants down south but up here the curries beats southern ones hands down

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here