Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cheering on the Overdogs

7 Not allowed!
    Anyone else find it an odd, and slightly uncomfortable feeling?

Born in '86 so this is the first time seeing Albion in the top flight for me, therefore the first time I have ever wanted the top 6-8 to basically smash everyone except us.

However, I still have to admit to mixed feelings when watching say, Chelsea v West Brom the other evening. There's still a part of me that can't help but want to see the little guy beat the big guy.
    ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

1 Not allowed!
      It's amazing how unnatural it is. I had to properly concentrate to support Man United against Newcastle. Kept losing focus and instinctively supporting Newcastle.

0 Not allowed!
      I realised this odd feeling early on in the season...I think it was when Burnley scored their third at Chelsea
      Half Hawaiian Half Greek Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Born in 84 and have the same feeling. Used to love seeing the little guy win, not any more (except us!)
      PURA VIDA MAE

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by clarkey View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's amazing how unnatural it is. I had to properly concentrate to support Man United against Newcastle. Kept losing focus and instinctively supporting Newcastle.
      This. Like attempting to maintain an erection whilst focusing on a picture of Ann Widdecombe. It's just not natural.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

0 Not allowed!
      Similar to Jesus Gul, I noticed this very early on when I was baying for ManUre to score against some poor minnow I would previously have been pulling for. I don't like doing it, I'm not proud of myself, and it doesn't sit well at all, but like lying to your family saying "oh I love it" when you open a crap present at Christmas, it just has to be done.
      "I looked straight across to Graham Turner and their whole bench was in tears."

0 Not allowed!
      I thought the thread title was in reference to this weekends FA Cup exploits.
      Although in fairness now I think about it the Albion have been overdogs in the 2 previous rounds, so it can't be an issue now!
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      http://app.strava.com/clubs/north-stand-geeks
      Fantasy Vuelta - League Name: NSC Geeks League Code: 68204709

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      However, I still have to admit to mixed feelings when watching say, Chelsea v West Brom the other evening. There's still a part of me that can't help but want to see the little guy beat the big guy.
      What part of seeing Alan Pardew's side defeated don't you like?
      "Intercluderent aut mori"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Pavilionaire View Post
      What part of seeing Alan Pardew's side defeated don't you like?
      Fair point.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Gul View Post
      I realised this odd feeling early on in the season...I think it was when Burnley scored their third at Chelsea
      That was me exactly. I hadn't really thought about it before the season started, but when I heard Burnley were 3-0 up at Chelsea I thought "Ha! Burnley are 3 up at Chel.... Shit! Burnley are 3 up at Chelsea!" My view literally changed in mid-thought. (This was when I thought Burnley were going to be one of the struggling teams. If that match was played now I'd be chortling like mad). The following day, for the first time since 1968 when they played Benfica, I loudly cheered the 3rd and 4th Man U goals when they beat West Ham as it meant we moved up a place!

After years of wanting the Big Six to get stuffed it still seems a bit odd, and I do feel a bit 'dirty' but hey, needs must. And surely no Brighton fan was pleased when Man U lost on Sunday against Newcastle?