Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cheering on the Overdogs

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else find it an odd, and slightly uncomfortable feeling?

Born in '86 so this is the first time seeing Albion in the top flight for me, therefore the first time I have ever wanted the top 6-8 to basically smash everyone except us.

However, I still have to admit to mixed feelings when watching say, Chelsea v West Brom the other evening. There's still a part of me that can't help but want to see the little guy beat the big guy.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
It's amazing how unnatural it is. I had to properly concentrate to support Man United against Newcastle. Kept losing focus and instinctively supporting Newcastle.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I realised this odd feeling early on in the season...I think it was when Burnley scored their third at Chelsea

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's amazing how unnatural it is. I had to properly concentrate to support Man United against Newcastle. Kept losing focus and instinctively supporting Newcastle.

This. Like attempting to maintain an erection whilst focusing on a picture of Ann Widdecombe. It's just not natural.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Similar to Jesus Gul, I noticed this very early on when I was baying for ManUre to score against some poor minnow I would previously have been pulling for. I don't like doing it, I'm not proud of myself, and it doesn't sit well at all, but like lying to your family saying "oh I love it" when you open a crap present at Christmas, it just has to be done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought the thread title was in reference to this weekends FA Cup exploits.
Although in fairness now I think about it the Albion have been overdogs in the 2 previous rounds, so it can't be an issue now!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
However, I still have to admit to mixed feelings when watching say, Chelsea v West Brom the other evening. There's still a part of me that can't help but want to see the little guy beat the big guy.

What part of seeing Alan Pardew's side defeated don't you like?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I realised this odd feeling early on in the season...I think it was when Burnley scored their third at Chelsea

That was me exactly. I hadn't really thought about it before the season started, but when I heard Burnley were 3-0 up at Chelsea I thought "Ha! Burnley are 3 up at Chel.... Shit! Burnley are 3 up at Chelsea!" My view literally changed in mid-thought. (This was when I thought Burnley were going to be one of the struggling teams. If that match was played now I'd be chortling like mad). The following day, for the first time since 1968 when they played Benfica, I loudly cheered the 3rd and 4th Man U goals when they beat West Ham as it meant we moved up a place!

After years of wanting the Big Six to get stuffed it still seems a bit odd, and I do feel a bit 'dirty' but hey, needs must. And surely no Brighton fan was pleased when Man U lost on Sunday against Newcastle?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It is weird in the extreme, I've even wanted Spurs to win the odd game and I loathe them, same goes for Chelsea and Utd. Wanting City to win is less troubling as they are so good to watch.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Trouble is they keep letting us down and losing to our bottom half of the table rivals. It just makes me hate them more.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone else find it an odd, and slightly uncomfortable feeling?

Born in '86 so this is the first time seeing Albion in the top flight for me, therefore the first time I have ever wanted the top 6-8 to basically smash everyone except us.

Hopefully we'll all be mightily cheering on the overdogs at the Amex on Saturday. Coventry have their own big fish to fry away from the FA Cup.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005

This. Not right. Not proper.

I'd have rejoiced at Huddersfield beating Man Utd early on but instead I felt disgusted. I don't like it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This. Like attempting to maintain an erection whilst focusing on a picture of Ann Widdecombe. It's just not natural.

I'm sure Wayne Rooney could give you some tips.

Although the results wasn't what we wanted I found Chelsea being taken apart by Watford the other week brilliant.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure Wayne Rooney could give you some tips.

Although the results wasn't what we wanted I found Chelsea being taken apart by Watford the other week brilliant.

With the amount of teams below I don't see Watford as realistic relegation candidates so I did enjoy that one, fantastic counter attacking football at the end.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I thought the thread title was in reference to this weekends FA Cup exploits.
Although in fairness now I think about it the Albion have been overdogs in the 2 previous rounds, so it can't be an issue now!
Another reason to love the FA cup - it is now the one safe place where we can heartily and genuinely cheer on the underdog, and purge those feelings of guilt and self-disgust. Not only is there the joyful anticipation of an overdog being humiliated by a “lesser” team, but progression of said “lesser” team can only be advantageous to us.

(NB - for those of a slow-witted or perpetually outraged persuasion, please note the inverted commas around “lesser”.)

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I worked in Coventry for 35 years and for most of that time they were the big team - mostly in the top flight and we were usually anywhere but. Even when we made it in 1979, it seemed weird playing at the same level as City, and, of course it didn't last. How times have changed now !

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
With the amount of teams below I don't see Watford as realistic relegation candidates so I did enjoy that one, fantastic counter attacking football at the end.

I agree about them not being realistic relegation candidates, however with how tight it is a draw would have left Watford level on points with us, had they lost to Chelsea we'd be above them right now. Such fine margins at the moment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here