Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Groves vs Eubank

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Pre fight hype hotting up ahead of Saturday.

Still wavering on the outcome which makes it all the more mouth watering.

Despite Eubank's obvious local connections, I'm still erring on the side of Groves, I think he's far more experienced at this level and is a natural Super Middleweight.

Then if we are to believe Eubank Senior that Junior is the 'Real Deal', will that be enough to tip the scales?

It hasn't stopped Eubank senior making a **** of himself (again) in the build up, saying that the Ref needs to protect Groves from his son's ferocious power, given that all three fighters have been involved in contests where their respective opponents have been permanently injured it really was, as Groves stated, a totally classless thing to say.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I’m going Eubank Jnr. I think his speed and ambition will be to much. Groves has had some tough fights and I feel now that he has finally won his world title the flame may have dimmed a bit. As for Eubank senior, he’s a strange person. The clip of him stopping the sparring is exactly what he did before his previous fight, maybe he’d forgotten he’d done it before?!

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
One i've been looking forward to. IMO Jnr has better technique all round and will win by TKO/KO in 7 or 8.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Would Eubank fill the Amex with the right opponent?

Would they open the upper tiers??

Seriously, I think they could if they can get the undercard right with a few more local boxers and a decent opponent. Has there ever been a world title fight held in Brighton?

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I've sparred both. Eubank wins a late stoppage IMO.

So have I and GG hits much, much harder... although I expect Chris to outwork him.

Groves KO or Eubank pts... basically I'm getting splinters sitting on the fence. It depends if this might be one war too many for Groves and it depends on just how good Eubank is. Genuine 50/50 for me and first fight I've really looked forward too in a while.

What I will say is I think the WBSS has been fantastic, both the SMW and (especially) Cruiser tournaments have been incredible thus far and if they were being pushed by the Sky hype machine it would be huge news. Hats off to the Sauerland brothers and it can only be a good thing going forward, the best fighting the best. I think they have Lightweight lined up for the next tournament... can't wait.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Would they open the upper tiers??

Seriously, I think they could if they can get the undercard right with a few more local boxers and a decent opponent. Has there ever been a world title fight held in Brighton?

Eubank Sr defended his WBO middleweight title against Dan Sherry at the Brighton Centre in 1991. The fight ended in controversy after Eubank head butted Sherry and he couldn’t continue. It ended in a split decision win for Eubank as they went to the score cards after the head butt.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
So have I and GG hits much, much harder... although I expect Chris to outwork him.

Groves KO or Eubank pts... basically I'm getting splinters sitting on the fence. It depends if this might be one war too many for Groves and it depends on just how good Eubank is. Genuine 50/50 for me and first fight I've really looked forward too in a while.

What I will say is I think the WBSS has been fantastic, both the SMW and (especially) Cruiser tournaments have been incredible thus far and if they were being pushed by the Sky hype machine it would be huge news. Hats off to the Sauerland brothers and it can only be a good thing going forward, the best fighting the best. I think they have Lightweight lined up for the next tournament... can't wait.

Yep, George hits much harder. But CEJ has a solid chin. I think George will dictate the fight in the early rounds using his superior jab and experience but he has a tendency to slow down in the second half of the fight and i can't see him dealing with the pressure CEJ will be giving him.

Great match up and i echo your comments on WBSS.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Eubank Sr defended his WBO middleweight title against Dan Sherry at the Brighton Centre in 1991. The fight ended in controversy after Eubank head butted Sherry and he couldn’t continue. It ended in a split decision win for Eubank as they went to the score cards after the head butt.

There's a long time conspiracy theory over the 'scoring' in that fight, Barry Hearn was allegedly seen the night before wining and dining all three judges in Topolino's.

If you watch the fight in the cold light of day, allow for point deduction for the headbutt as specified by the ref, and Eubank clearly should have lost in his first defence of the title.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Remember that fight well. Sherry was a total moron before, during and after the fight, and well out of his depth.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
Yep, George hits much harder. But CEJ has a solid chin. I think George will dictate the fight in the early rounds using his superior jab and experience but he has a tendency to slow down in the second half of the fight and i can't see him dealing with the pressure CEJ will be giving him.

Great match up and i echo your comments on WBSS.

He certainly has his Dad's chin, that thing is granite (he might need it too as he isn't the most elusive). He is tough as old boots though and probably the fittest fighter I've ever come across. If his ability matches his chin and fitness, then we could have something special on our hands... we'll find out more on Saturday I guess.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
BJS in the summer? Would sell out in minutes...

Would love to see them go at it again! BJS has been a revelation since moving to the Ingle gym, so I'd side with him still... just. With that being said, I don't think Eubank would make the same mistake of starting so slow again and it was only a SD win in any case.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Those (including Groves himself) alluding to Junior's supposed lack of power are grasping at straws a little I think. Alright, so the vast majority of his fights have been at middleweight but he has a better percentage stoppage record than Groves. We all know Groves's level and it's undoubtedly very decent but Junior could be very special indeed and if he is then there is only one winner. I think he'll overwhelm him and force the stoppage somewhere around the 8th/9th rounds.

Groves looked in trouble early against Chudinov and also Cox to a lesser extent, both smaller and quicker fighters, and CEJ can keep up that pressure throughout.

Can't wait anyway, would echo the comments about the series and it's great also to have an undercard full of proper match ups on Saturday.

Iqbal, Lowe, Arnfield, CEJ accumulator!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Groves is serious levels above anyone that Eubank has beat. I think his experience and power will get him through this one but its very close. I also worry that CEJs refusal to take any advice during a fight could be his undoing. Should be an absolute cracker though and could go wither way.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

I went to that fight but had to wait to see the 'headbutt' incident on tv. It was kicking off around us and at the time and that was more entertaining than the Eubank fight. So we missed the headbutt and wondered what all the fuss was about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here