Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Groves vs Eubank

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Are you joking ? How many tickets would a local fighter shift ? 50/100 ? I’ve been to 3 Eubank fights in London and he had a handful of verbal fans, where are 20,000 people suddenly coming from ? When push comes to shove people wouldn’t pay the ticket prices on offer. I’m being realistic.

You forget the hype machine, it's the place to be , look how many open air fights have been held recently with boxers who struggle to sell out a phone box

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I'm surprised that the upcoming hungry fighter who is up against the veteran, clever, but a few miles on the clock fighter is only a year younger.

I wonder why the Eubanks didn't decide earlier to get the show on the road.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Interestingly enough Adam Booth, the only person to have trained both fighters, was very guarded when asked who would win.
He said he felt they both had the ability to, but stated it would be decided on what happens in the first three rounds.
Is he basically saying if Groves doesn’t put him away early CEJ will come out on top?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Interestingly enough Adam Booth, the only person to have trained both fighters, was very guarded when asked who would win.
He said he felt they both had the ability to, but stated it would be decided on what happens in the first three rounds.
Is he basically saying if Groves doesn’t put him away early CEJ will come out on top?

See my earlier post. I give george 4 to get it done / be well on top

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

I think he's saying that George has to show that he can keep the fight on the outside with his jab and not get drawn into a war on the inside. If it starts with Jr dictating the pace and GG unable to stem it can only see the fight going one way. I do think Groves jab will be the difference though.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Meet Sergey Rozvadovskij: The Man Who Sparred George Groves and Chris Eubank Jr

Few men can say they have shared a ring with both George Groves and Chris Eubank Jr. But Sergey Rozvadovskij has sparred the pair for years.

OF all the boxers I’ve ever seen spar, none have been tougher than Lithuanian light-heavyweight Sergey Rozvadovskij.

Hands up, chin down, he’d use large forearms to construct an impenetrable wall around his face and then use an unbreakable will to march down whoever was unfortunate enough to be in his way. Unflustered, he did this round after round, never once complaining, never asking for a break or a day off, and if told there was to be a 30-second rest between rounds, as opposed to the customary minute, he offered merely a shrug.

This is no exaggeration. In fact, few boxers know more about Groves and Eubank Jr, having eaten up their punches and asked questions of their resolve, than Rozvadovskij.

About Eubank Jr, he says, “He was a good boxer. Compared to most boxers, he is powerful. But compared to George, he’s not so powerful. He’s smaller, he’s definitely a middleweight, and that means he doesn’t hit as hard. But he is fast and he has good stamina. He definitely has good stamina. He could go round after round and not seem that tired.

“He’s also quite awkward. He’s not like a basic boxer. He doesn’t do anything right. But that makes him very difficult to box. You can’t guess what he’s going to do. In the ring, you are thinking, man, he doesn’t do anything from the textbook but it’s f****** working.”

Rozvadovskij laughs. He remembers Eubank Jr’s unorthodoxy and his engine. He remembers the stuff that made him different to the others. Different to Golovkin. Different to Groves. Yet it was nothing to fear, he stresses. The power Eubank Jr possessed wasn’t Golovkin power; nor was it Groves power.

On Groves, Sergey said: “His jab is great, and people talk about that a lot, but with George it’s also about his movement and speed. He uses his legs very well in the ring.

“If he can keep his distance from Chris, he should win. He just needs to keep Chris away. He’s much bigger and he has a much longer reach. All he needs to do is box and keep Chris off. If he does that, he will win the fight.”

It’s not just at long range Eubank Jr needs to be cautious, Rozvadovskij believes. Up close, too, he might find it difficult going about his work without taking an almighty right hand, left hook or uppercut for his troubles.

“I wouldn’t say Chris has the advantage in a fight up close,” says Sergey. “People think that, but George is very good in those areas well.

“Sure, Chris would definitely love to do that, push George against the ropes and in the corners, because otherwise he won’t be able to do anything. I mean, what can he do if it becomes a boxing match? There is no way Chris can outbox George. His reach is smaller. He won’t even come close to George. He won’t be able to land punches unless they are close. He will come forward. That’s a fact. He has to.”

Finally, having remembered all the times they sparred, all the punches given and received, Sergey Rozvadovskij takes a moment to reflect, a moment to think, and then prepares his official prediction, one that should, if you appreciate the man’s history, resonate more than most.

“It will be a unanimous decision for George,” he says, without so much as a shred of doubt. “He will outbox him.”

Sergey Rozvadovskij got on with it. He treated sparring as his day job and soaking up the punches of better-known boxers a daily requirement of said job. Even Gennady Golovkin couldn’t put a dent in him.

Which is why George Groves employed Rozvadovskij as a sparring partner for the majority of his fights from 2011 onwards – up until the day Rozvadovskij retired in 2014 – and also why Chris Eubank Jr, a man who has often complained about a lack of willing sparring partners, turned to the poker-faced Eastern European on more than one occasion.

With Sergey Rozvadovskij, you see, they knew exactly what they were getting. They all did.

“I think I sparred Eubank four or five different times,” Rozvadovskij told Boxing News on Tuesday. “We’d do probably six rounds at least each time. With George, I was his sparring partner for almost every fight. I have sparred hundreds of rounds with George.”

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Despite Groves being more skilled and having more power and being bigger I think Eubank style is all wrong for Groves. Groves had some very hairy moments against a small Cox and Fedor, Groves leans against the ropes and you just can't do that against someone like Eubank and Groves gasses so bad late in fights Eubank is like dog with a bone once he smells blood he won't let up.

I think Eubank wins by late stoppage the ref will jump in and stop it.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Despite Groves being more skilled and having more power and being bigger I think Eubank style is all wrong for Groves. Groves had some very hairy moments against a small Cox and Fedor, Groves leans against the ropes and you just can't do that against someone like Eubank and Groves gasses so bad late in fights Eubank is like dog with a bone once he smells blood he won't let up.

I think Eubank wins by late stoppage the ref will jump in and stop it.

The only fight Groves ever gassed in really was the Froch fight? He managed to win a points decision against DeGale and was arguably robbed on points against Badou Jack and that was with a very poor trainer. I don't think he was ever in any bother v Cox.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
The only fight Groves ever gassed in really was the Froch fight? He managed to win a points decision against DeGale and was arguably robbed on points against Badou Jack and that was with a very poor trainer. I don't think he was ever in any bother v Cox.

He looked gassed late against Murray and slows right down in later rounds but Eubank keeps the same pace. Cox had him trapped against the ropes at one stage and Fedor before he got hit with that big shot was winning the fight, he just won't get away with it if he does that against Eubank.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I think Grooves will win to much experince for Eubanks.just like Billy Joe.i did like Eubanks but after the post fight interview when he beat Nick Blackwell did nt say or show any concern all he could talk about was himself and than mention Nick Blackwell as an after thought.Hope he gets beaten

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Chris Eubank Jr is a covert egomaniac who thrives off playing this 'super human' crap he and his Dad have created through videos of him running around, screaming in agony to show how super human Eubank Jr really is. He talks as if he's unbeatable referring to himself as "a Mountain which Groves won't be able to climb". Eubanks weaknesses were exposed by losing to BJS. He's a poor boxer but a good brawler. Against BJS, Eubank threw shots which took his own feet off the floor. He looked so out of his depth at times. It was only BJS lack of stamina in the later rounds which gave Eubank any glimmer of hope. Had it been a fit BJS, like now, he would've won every round comfortably. Considering BJS was completely gassed for the last few rounds of that fight and is a middle weight, Eubanks power wasn't putting him down or wobbling him. How's he going to cope against a super middle weight?

My Prediction is: Groves will target the body draining Eubanks super human energy which will allow Groves boxing skills to give him the advantage and control of the fight. Eubanks will look desperate come the latter end of the fight.

Groves on points.

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Chris Eubank Jr is a covert egomaniac who thrives off playing this 'super human' crap he and his Dad have created through videos of him running around, screaming in agony to show how super human Eubank Jr really is. He talks as if he's unbeatable referring to himself as "a Mountain which Groves won't be able to climb". Eubanks weaknesses were exposed by losing to BJS. He's a poor boxer but a good brawler. Against BJS, Eubank threw shots which took his own feet off the floor. He looked so out of his depth at times. It was only BJS lack of stamina in the later rounds which gave Eubank any glimmer of hope. Had it been a fit BJS, like now, he would've won every round comfortably. Considering BJS was completely gassed for the last few rounds of that fight and is a middle weight, Eubanks power wasn't putting him down or wobbling him. How's he going to cope against a super middle weight?

My Prediction is: Groves will target the body draining Eubanks super human energy which will allow Groves boxing skills to give him the advantage and control of the fight. Eubanks will look desperate come the latter end of the fight.

Groves on points.

I really don't think you can place much importance on the Billy Joe Saunders fight. At the point of the fight BJS was much further on in his development than Eubank.

Before that fight Eubank had fought only 8 rounders against taxi drivers from Eastern Europe and doormen from Barnsley and it was a massive step-up for him. BJS had 2 fights more and been stepped up much quicker because of his amateur pedigree. It was also Eubanks first 12 round fight (BJS had 7x 12 rounders before that fight) and he made a big tactical error in starting slowly which he hasn't made since. Knowing what we now know about how good BJS is, it was a massive achievement for Eubank to lose on a split decision be honest.

He is a much better fighter now.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Jim McDonnell asked would CEJ be the favourite if his name wasn't Eubank?

Looking at all the build up on You Tube, it really comes down to the degree of hype, almost a throw back to Eubank Senior vs Benn in 1990, back then many believed Chris Senior had a manufactured fight record and that he would get found out by the more experienced Benn.

He didn't, for Benn read Groves, will we get the same outcome?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Complete nonsense. He dominated that fight start to finish.

I do get the feeling that boxing fans share the same trait as football fans all around the world in that they see what they want to, I thought Groves wasn't troubled at all that night.

I just hope its a contest worthy of the build up.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Hope CEJ wins by KO. Why? Because he's great to watch, all action, and it seems everybody from outside Brighton hates him, just like they did / do his old man.

Yoooooobaaank!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here