Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Groves vs Eubank

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Would have gone if it was London, Amex or Stamford Bridge, but trips to United in November and City (likely April) put me off.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Groves is serious levels above anyone that Eubank has beat. I think his experience and power will get him through this one but its very close. I also worry that CEJs refusal to take any advice during a fight could be his undoing. Should be an absolute cracker though and could go wither way.

Eubank got a split decision against BJS as a relative novice, and also a victory over (a shot but still able) Arthur Abraham. Nick Blackwell was British champion and look what happened there.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Would Eubank fill the Amex with the right opponent?

No. You’ve got to have a special type of relationship with the fans to fill a stadium. AJ obviously can do it, but not sure Bellow, Brook and currently Selby/Warrington (who had/have stadium fights) have the ‘it Factor’ that Hatton did.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No. You’ve got to have a special type of relationship with the fans to fill a stadium. AJ obviously can do it, but not sure Bellow, Brook and currently Selby/Warrington have the ‘it Factor’ that Hatton did.

I disagree as I think that he would fill The Amex especially against BJS as the vast majority of BHA fans are behind him I would think and would love to see him win a world title at our ground.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
The longer it goes on the more chance eubank jr has.

Groves should boss the opening four - if he doesnt he is in deep

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I disagree as I think that he would fill The Amex especially against BJS as the vast majority of BHA fans are behind him I would think and would love to see him win a world title at our ground.

I’m afraid Eubank hasn’t got the support. He may have “pub” support but once people are asked to pay £50,£70,£100 per ticket then people won’t bother. Even his dad in his pomp knew there was no money to be made fighting at the Goldstone, not even sure he sold out brighton centre !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If that is to be the price of the tickets I would agree but would have expected them to be priced more in line with the cost of a football match as I thought most of the cash generated was from TV rights like PPV.,

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I’m afraid Eubank hasn’t got the support. He may have “pub” support but once people are asked to pay £50,£70,£100 per ticket then people won’t bother. Even his dad in his pomp knew there was no money to be made fighting at the Goldstone, not even sure he sold out brighton centre !

A Goldstone fight was on the agenda during the Sky Chris Eubank World Tour of 94/95, when we effectively fighting once every 6 weeks.

Hearn wanted the Albion to host a contest against Sammy Storey August 1994 (if my memory serves me correctly), but in the pre Asset stripping days, Bellotti told me the deal was so loaded in Matchroom/Eubank's favour (Allegedly a one off fee to promoter and fighter and then the Albion take all ticket sales) the Albion would have almost certainly ended up losing on the night.

Stumpy Tim

Groves isn't just a super middleweight, he's a big one. Eubank isn't a big middleweight... that might just swing it in Groves favour. Hopefully not, I'm a big fan of Eubank, and would definitely pay to watch him at the Amex!

The good news is that I tipped Benn to beat Eubank all those years ago, and underestimated how good Eubank was. Hopefully I'm doing the same this time

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
The Groves who beat Chudinov wins.
The Groves who got caught so easily early on against Cox loses.

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Would Eubank fill the Amex with the right opponent?

Absolutely! The appetite for boxing has never been bigger, this fight sold out in minutes even though it's in Manchester & the fighters are from Brighton & London.
That's also without the hype of a sky box office match up.
I think ITV charge more than sky even compared to box office (so said the mgr of Blind Busker) so dunno what pubs are gonna show it.
Its truly a 50/50, Groves by knockout or Eubank on points, hope Eubank does it though.
:bhasign:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
For once in my life I can't decide between Groves and Eubank, a true 50/50 pick 'em fight.

If Kell Brook can sell out Brammall Lane then Eubank can do 20k tickets at the AMEX

Eubank top of the bill
Nick Webb , Scott Welch's heavyweight prospect who is based in Hove in a title fight
plus someone like Buglioni who has done work with the Albion and the usual Bulgarian bin men would do decent business

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
For once in my life I can't decide between Groves and Eubank, a true 50/50 pick 'em fight.

If Kell Brook can sell out Brammall Lane then Eubank can do 20k tickets at the AMEX

Eubank top of the bill
Nick Webb , Scott Welch's heavyweight prospect who is based in Hove in a title fight
plus someone like Buglioni who has done work with the Albion and the usual Bulgarian bin men would do decent business

Are you joking ? How many tickets would a local fighter shift ? 50/100 ? I’ve been to 3 Eubank fights in London and he had a handful of verbal fans, where are 20,000 people suddenly coming from ? When push comes to shove people wouldn’t pay the ticket prices on offer. I’m being realistic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here