Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New SKY TV deal worth less

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
There are two massive advantages to Albion fans though:

1. The club might follow Hudd's lead and give us very cheap PL season ticket prices.

Will never happen.

4 or 5% increase every year from now on, is my guess. Dressed up as, 'only £2 a match - you can't buy a pint for that.'

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Brilliant, you've not even seen Locardia play?

spockbrow.gif

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Brilliant? I was making oblique REFERENCE to the MONEY we spent. MONEY that we have only because of the TV deal. Whether it was WELL SPENT or not is not RELEVANT to the POINT I was making.

FFS :shootself:wozza:

Yes but everything is relative. We would still have some very good players even if the tv money was a tenth of what it currently is.

Windsor_seagull

Aug 25, 2012
The remaining packages appear to be for the whole round of fixtures on the same date so how many platforms have the ability to do this?

Package F - to be decided 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme
Package G - to be decided 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

Surely that will only be possible for SKY, and maybe the new entries into the market like Amazon and Facebook

So the only potential bidder that you think it definitely wouldn’t be possible for is BT..... who regularly show a whole round of champions league matches simultaneously?!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Looks like 4.30pm is now the default Sunday late afternoon slot, which is not great, and 19.45 Saturday night, oh joy

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So the only potential bidder that you think it definitely wouldn’t be possible for is BT..... who regularly show a whole round of champions league matches simultaneously?!

I don't have BT, could they show 10 games at once?

Now sure how appealing it would be as the audiences for each match will be affected by this simultaneous broadcasting (or maybe spread out slightly, ie Bank Holiday = 3 kick-off times?, mid-week games over 2 or 3 days?) I mean, how many will watch Stoke vs Burnley when LIverpool vs Spurs is also on at the same time?

Would BT (and others) really want to have that many games showing at once, given how much it is likely to cost?

This whole thing package set up feels like the possible start of clubs getting their own TV deals or the top clubs (Man U, Man City, etc) getting more cash as a result of their games attracting the audiences, leading to an eve bigger gap between the top 6 and the rest

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't have BT, could they show 10 games at once?

Now sure how appealing it would be as the audiences for each match will be affected by this simultaneous broadcasting (or maybe spread out slightly, ie Bank Holiday = 3 kick-off times?, mid-week games over 2 or 3 days?) I mean, how many will watch Stoke vs Burnley when LIverpool vs Spurs is also on at the same time?

Would BT (and others) really want to have that many games showing at once, given how much it is likely to cost?

This whole thing package set up feels like the possible start of clubs getting their own TV deals or the top clubs (Man U, Man City, etc) getting more cash as a result of their games attracting the audiences, leading to an eve bigger gap between the top 6 and the rest

Clubs won't be getting their own deals. Every attempt is hugely out voted by most PL clubs.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
There are two massive advantages to Albion fans though:

1. The club might follow Hudd's lead and give us very cheap PL season ticket prices; and

2. We get the chance to drool over Hazard, Salah and Willian, possibly getting given a shirt if lucky.

No1 lolololololololololo🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣[emoji90]
No2 who cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So 200 matches out of 380 on the box, giving an average of 5 out of 10 Prem matches kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The remaining packages appear to be for the whole round of fixtures on the same date so how many platforms have the ability to do this?

Package F - to be decided 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme
Package G - to be decided 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

Surely that will only be possible for SKY, and maybe the new entries into the market like Amazon and Facebook but would they really want to put that much in when people can realistically only watch a handful of these 40 games as most will be shown simultaneously and only cover a few dates of the whole season?

It would give a taster on the newer platforms, but it would be a long time before they could bid again to try to expand their coverage if successful (2022) and also would they be able to raise enough on advertising, etc to pay for the current remaining packages and make it worthwhile show they win, limiting what they could bid for them (if i have read it right, you may only have 5 or 6 dates per season for these 40 matches)

Sure I've read that the Prem League tempted to test selling these through their own network. Easy to do with a 3rd party and test the water on pay per view over a few dates. May prove more lucrative than selling rights to media companies in future.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Yes. They regularly show 8 games on a CL night.

Fair enough, but i was originally referring more to the fixtures in the 2 remaining packages being on a couple of dates only, and i can't see that being that appealing in terms of paying anywhere near to what they have been paying per game on the other packages that have already sold

If you brought one of the other packages, it means you had contents for several weeks of the season and not just a few days

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Footballs soul being eaten by capitalism bit by bit.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Overseas rights should be up, these are evenly shared and should help clubs like us

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I watched a BT game at a pub the other week and it looked just like any Sky/BBC game with the same pundits. Is it not time to have all the games on one platform and the PL set the cost of subscription that way, rather than having to pay out for two subscriptions there would be one payment of, say, £20 month to get every televised game.
Other point is that BT look like losing 10 games so is it worth the money for just 32 games now? Yes they will add one days package but that will be only one more Albion game.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I watched a BT game at a pub the other week and it looked just like any Sky/BBC game with the same pundits. Is it not time to have all the games on one platform and the PL set the cost of subscription that way, rather than having to pay out for two subscriptions there would be one payment of, say, £20 month to get every televised game.
Other point is that BT look like losing 10 games so is it worth the money for just 32 games now? Yes they will add one days package but that will be only one more Albion game.

Whilst that may be logical for you and I (fans of football) it would not be for Sky or BT. As with the real game the majority of the money does not come from paying customers. Advertising makes up the bulk of income and if you are able to have a big game e.g. the Manchester Derby pulling in around 2-2.5million viewers on Sky, competition for prime ad space becomes more competitive and Sky's income stream is higher and they can afford to pay more for the TV packages in the long run.

On the other hand, if you have a good internet connection and know where to look, there is no need for a PL subscription. I watched the NLD followed by Stoke v Brighton in 720p HD on CNBC from my front room in North London.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Would that be open to challenge, ie no competition, so a monopoly

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here