Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New SKY TV deal worth less

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Telegraph reporting that the final two packages have not met their reserve price, the expected interest from the big internet players has not materialised and therefore the like for like deal for the domestic PL rights is, for the first time ever, deflationary. Scudamore will have to milk the international rights even harder to keep the revenue graph moving upwards.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Telegraph reporting that the final two packages have not met their reserve price, the expected interest from the big internet players has not materialised and therefore the like for like deal for the domestic PL rights is, for the first time ever, deflationary. Scudamore will have to milk the international rights even harder to keep the revenue graph moving upwards.

TV rights deals for the PL (taken from the graphic in this article from last Friday about the bidding process deadline closing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42164708 )

2001-04 = 1.2bn
2004-07 = 1.024bn

1st time it's been deflationary?

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Article from 2005 when Sky lost their monopoly on the Premier League: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4444684.stm

European Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said the new system would provide football fans with "greater choice and better value".

Has that really been the case? Has competition been that good? I'm against a monopoly of it, but conversely if I wanted to watch all Premier League football I'd have to get BT Sport AND Sky Sports, hardly cheap. And what do they compete in? It's not like the same fixture is broadcast on the same channel.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Article from 2005 when Sky lost their monopoly on the Premier League: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4444684.stm

European Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said the new system would provide football fans with "greater choice and better value".

Has that really been the case? Has competition been that good? I'm against a monopoly of it, but conversely if I wanted to watch all Premier League football I'd have to get BT Sport AND Sky Sports, hardly cheap. And what do they compete in? It's not like the same fixture is broadcast on the same channel.

Completely agree, an example of regulation being completely counter intuitive. All it does is allow two companies to make money from the same consumer, who has to pay twice!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Let's look at facts .... 75% of the packages sold for 87% of the last bids return, seems like "upside" to me?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
TBH it just makes me want to puke. It's like actually negotiating TV deals is now part of the game. Well played sales executives! Football is f*cked

Same - I can cope with the big money deals - It's the market, as they say - but the ignorance of football further down the food chain is a disgrace. There are clubs in league 2 and beyond that have an equally, if not more, illustrious history than sum premier league clubs that are being forgotten about. Hartlepool are on the brink, what's happened to Maidstone, Darlington, Hereford etc etc is shameful. I've no doubt that the more people support teams outside the premier league than in and the FA et al do F all. Disgrace.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Same - I can cope with the big money deals - It's the market, as they say - but the ignorance of football further down the food chain is a disgrace. There are clubs in league 2 and beyond that have an equally, if not more, illustrious history than sum premier league clubs that are being forgotten about. Hartlepool are on the brink, what's happened to Maidstone, Darlington, Hereford etc etc is shameful. I've no doubt that the more people support teams outside the premier league than in and the FA et al do F all. Disgrace.

Error

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here