Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] New SKY TV deal worth less

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
2 packages yet to be sold, so could still total more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43002985
The rights to show Premier League games from 2019-2022 have been sold for £4.464bn - with two live packages still to be sold.

Sky Sports have won the rights to four packages - 128 live matches - while BT Sport have one, comprising 32 games.

The Premier League's last deal, agreed in 2015 and running until 2019, was worth £5.14bn.

"To have achieved this investment with two packages remaining to sell is testament to the excellent football competition delivered by the clubs," executive chairman Richard Scudamore said.

Sky will have first choice of every weekend match and will also show Saturday night fixtures for the first time.

BT will show Saturday lunchtime fixtures from August 2019.

Last time out, Sky paid £4.176bn to show 126 matches, including the first Friday evening games and both Sunday packages, and BT paid £960m for 42 games.

Who has won what?
What did broadcasters bid on?
Package A - won by BT 32 matches on Saturdays at 12:30
Package B - won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Saturdays at 17:30
Package C - won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Sundays at 14:00 and eight matches on Saturdays at 19:45
Package D - won by Sky Sports 32 matches on Sundays at 16:30
Package E - won by Sky Sports 24 matches on Mondays at 20:00 or Fridays at 19:30/20:00 and eight matches on Sundays at 14:00
Package F - to be decided 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme
Package G - to be decided 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The rights to show Premier League games from 2019-2022 have been sold for £4.464bn - with two live packages still to be sold.

Sky Sports have won the rights to four packages - 128 live matches - while BT Sport have one, comprising 32 games.

The Premier League's last deal, agreed in 2015 and running until 2019, was worth £5.14bn.

"To have achieved this investment with two packages remaining to sell is testament to the excellent football competition delivered by the clubs," executive chairman Richard Scudamore said.

Sky will have first choice of every weekend match and will also show Saturday night fixtures for the first time.

BT will show Saturday lunchtime fixtures from August 2019.

Last time out, Sky paid £4.176bn to show 126 matches, including the first Friday evening games and both Sunday packages, and BT paid £960m for 42 games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still a rather large chunk of change.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
160 games sold for £4.464bn equates to £27.9m per game.

40 more games still to be sold. If they went for the same, it would make total rights £5.58bn (increase of 8.5% on last time). I'd guess that the two packages left are less-attractive, being mid-week, and will go for less though:

- 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme
- 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
160 games sold for £4.464bn equates to £27.9m per game.

40 more games still to be sold. If they went for the same, it would make total rights £5.58bn (increase of 8.5% on last time). I'd guess that the two packages left are less-attractive, being mid-week, and will go for less though:

- 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme
- 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

But i believe those games are the entire round of fixtures for that weekday.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
TBH it just makes me want to puke. It's like actually negotiating TV deals is now part of the game. Well played sales executives! Football is f*cked

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TBH it just makes me want to puke. It's like actually negotiating TV deals is now part of the game. Well played sales executives! Football is f*cked

There are two massive advantages to Albion fans though:

1. The club might follow Hudd's lead and give us very cheap PL season ticket prices; and

2. We get the chance to drool over Hazard, Salah and Willian, possibly getting given a shirt if lucky.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
There are two massive advantages to Albion fans though:

1. The club might follow Hudd's lead and give us very cheap PL season ticket prices; and

2. We get the chance to drool over Hazard, Salah and Willian, possibly getting given a shirt if lucky.

:lolol:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
TV rights deals for the PL (taken from the graphic in this article from last Friday about the bidding process deadline closing http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42164708 )

1992-97 = £191m
1997-01 = 670m
2001-04 = 1.2bn
2004-07 = 1.024bn
2007-10 = 1.706bn
2010-13 = 1.773bn
2013-16 = 3.018bn
2016-19 = 5.136bn

Bidders are limited to a maximum of 148 matches this time round so sky can only win 1 of the 2 remaining packages as they already have 112 games already (both remaining packages are for 20 games each)

Maybe the delay in announcing who won the last 2 packages is because Sky had the highest bids for them both and have to decide which one they want and they then have to work out who gets the other package ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The remaining packages appear to be for the whole round of fixtures on the same date so how many platforms have the ability to do this?

Package F - to be decided 20 matches from one Bank Holiday and one midweek fixture programme
Package G - to be decided 20 matches from two midweek fixture programmes

Surely that will only be possible for SKY, and maybe the new entries into the market like Amazon and Facebook but would they really want to put that much in when people can realistically only watch a handful of these 40 games as most will be shown simultaneously and only cover a few dates of the whole season?

It would give a taster on the newer platforms, but it would be a long time before they could bid again to try to expand their coverage if successful (2022) and also would they be able to raise enough on advertising, etc to pay for the current remaining packages and make it worthwhile show they win, limiting what they could bid for them (if i have read it right, you may only have 5 or 6 dates per season for these 40 matches)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Send Izquierdo and Locardia back!

Oh...hang on...:facepalm:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The last 2 packages are 20 games each but are all of the games on that day (one midweek one bank hol) so only 2 days worth of games in each package if you like. I'm guessing they will be low in cost in relative terms.

Thus far the cost per game has gone down to 9.3 million which is apparently 16% less than existing deal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brilliant, you've not even seen Locardia play?

Brilliant? I was making oblique REFERENCE to the MONEY we spent. MONEY that we have only because of the TV deal. Whether it was WELL SPENT or not is not RELEVANT to the POINT I was making.

FFS :shootself:wozza:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here