Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Members

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdene Seagull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rather than military service I'd rather see some sort of community service. That way it doesn't drag our very limited military resources away to look after some snotty nosed 18 year olds but might still instill some dicipline and pride into them. That said I do have that nagging thing in the back of my mind that I don't like the idea of the government forcing people to do things they don't wish to.
    How about our youngsters dont do community service, dont go to do military and choose their options with parents guidance?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      A former colleague was born in Greece to Greek parents who moved back to the uk when he was 2. His parents wanted to fully embrace Britain and so he never learned to speak greek. Fast forward 20 years and he got a letter, in Greek, which he was convinced told him to report for National Service. A couple more letters followed and so for 30 odd years he never went to Greece as he was convinced he would be arrested.
      Finally he got his boss, who DID speak Greek to translate them and all they said was "As you live abroad you are excused".
      "Nibbled to death by an okapi..."

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by ditchy View Post
      Not seen if anyone else has posted , but just read that President Macron has brought back National service to France . All eligible will do 1month service .

Personally think it would be a great idea in this country and not too much hardship for everyone involved . Discuss !
      Having spent 30 years in the RAF I can assure you that conscripts ( forced teenagers ) would not be welcome or needed.
      Maybe send them to some ' military camp' for a few months to teach them discipline but most would probably resent that.

As a profesional military neither the RAF,RN or Army need conscription.
      K55 BHA

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      23% of all 18-25 year olds and 35% of all 26-39 year olds support it. 38% of all Lib Dem voters support it whilst 33% of UKIP voters are opposed. I reckon it might just be a little bit more nuanced than your old white male Brexit voters.

Attachment 94162

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/28...tional-servic/
      I am not sure. Looking at those numbers I suspect it would be very popular amongst that portion of the demographic.

It doesn't sound much fun to me. Funny that they are worried about the cost of it so they might send everyone home of an evening. I bet they would segregate it as well to make it really miserable.

Mixed battalions. South of France. Compulsory discotechque every night. People wouldn't want to leave.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
      No I was too side tracked by chopping the dick off your head
      Hahahahahahahahaha!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I like the idea of a few months service for everyone, either in the forces or in the community. I would like community service for long term unemployed people too.
      Posted by Kosh, 19/7/2016 - 14th - 11th this year, or I'll eat my big Ritchie Blackmore hat.
      Harry Wilson's Tackle Harry Wilson's tackle's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      When I was growing up the threat of national service (yes, threat) was mooted every now and then to 'sort out' the 'long haired layabouts' and 'bolshie types'. Reactionary types (like my old man) had pleasant fantasies of whey-faced pseudo intellectual youth (like me) being bawled at by a Windsor Davies looky/soundy alikeies while tearfully attempting some press ups on a drizzle-spattered square.

But now that I'm old, and my knees are no longer what they were (which was never much to be fair) I am all in favour.

No but seriously, it would turn into an absolute shambols, with goodness knows how many exemptions, and just lowish paid white working class and African/West Indian ethnic youth (the bottom of the food chain) getting lumbered.

It will be interesting to see how br'er frog deals with all this. Badly I suspect. Mind you, it may work since their 'service' is bound to include copious amounts of poncing about, cordon bleu training, and a bit of can-can.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Q93v7hGZA

Premier League : Brighton, le club le plus cool d'Angleterre
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      While the thought of a load of snowflakes marching around a parade ground does amuse me somewhat. The reality is that it will create even more faux resentment to add to all of their other complaints. The Forces have better things to do as does our youth. The cost would be better spent elsewhere too.

0 Not allowed!
      The original poster hasnt explained whether he would be willing to give up a period of his life for unpaid employment

1 Not allowed!
      My Dad - now 85 - did his RAF National Service at Watchet in Somerset with Brian Clough.
      He said he was a big head even then
      You know I'm right