Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    Members Weststander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Withdean area
    Posts
    12,283


    1 Not allowed!
    Good.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      We're going up.
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      London
      Posts
      5,486


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Hillian1 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Well I hope the lion is going to have the poacher's head mounted and put in his trophy room.
      We're going up, we're going to win the Cup, for Sussex by the Sea.
    • #23
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Worcester England
      Posts
      6,740


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Spot on. I used to live Phalaborwa, very close to this reserve and the whole area is so vast that it's impossible to police effectively. Along with poaching, it's where a great deal of smuggling goes on and even more human trafficking historically from Mozambique but nowadays from Zimbabwe. There's even illegal settlements right there in the park. It sounds incredible to believe but a lot of people get attacked by crocodiles, hippos, hyenas, lions and African wild dogs. A LOT of people.

      I suspect from the BBC report that the poacher was indigenous rather than an Afrikaaner taking a rich tourist on an illegal hunt. Playing Devil's Advocate here for a minute, I did once have a conversation with someone who said that poaching for traditional medicines was different than shooting for fun. The former had been going on for thousands of years and this had never upset the ecological balance. Extinction was something exported with Europe's invasion of Africa.

      His argument was that even if you disagreed with both forms of killing (and both of us did) he said that it was hypocritical of the West to mock this belief in African medicine because the Western way was purely for fun, the African way is misguided but the killing is for a purpose. He compared it to fishing - we fish for a purpose: to eat them and yet there are plenty of people who think it's barbaric and unnecessary (I don't think this btw) so when a fisherman tragically dies at sea, some vegans might mock the fishermen like some people are this poacher but there's plenty of us who would mourn the loss of the fisherman and think him brave, which is exactly how the African poacher's community would feel about him.

      It's one of those arguments that I'm sure I disagree with but I found it incredibly difficult to argue against.
      My nearest reserves were Tala and Hluhluwe even the former needed a couple of armed staff 24/7 to protect I believe 2 Rhinos, the latter, well. As said Kruger is not viably policable
    • #24
      Moon Man Oxy McFloppie-Tish's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2004
      Location
      Truro
      Posts
      4,914


      0 Not allowed!
      Was he a dentist?
      Was that the intro? I should have been in!
    • #25
      Members Invicta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      Location
      Kent
      Posts
      745


      1 Not allowed!
      Good
    • #26
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Worcester England
      Posts
      6,740


      0 Not allowed!
      Everyone saying good, well I will repeat myself
      We dont live in Utopia
      Poachers are wrong yes. But as I said they have no other way of making a means to an end for their familys. SA is still a good coupla generations and governments away from that, aphartheid still goes on, I paid my domestic double the going rate to come from a looooong way because blacks still serve whites, get paid **** all and have to still get on different transport

      Its crap but how it is
      I would rather kill a Lion if I cant write or read to feed my family than not to. Just how it is there
    • #27
      Members banjo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Deep south
      Posts
      7,212


      0 Not allowed!
      "The first 90 minutes of the match are the most important"
    • #28
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      portslade
      Posts
      11,677


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      What is more wrong is tourists who pay to "sports hunt" the big animals, the locals need education and that isnt coming anytime soon to many
      Not when the SA government allow it anyway.
      portslade seagull..brighton till i die
    • #29
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Worcester England
      Posts
      6,740


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by portslade seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not when the SA government allow it anyway.
      Zimbabwe is IMO 15 years behind SA which is 25-30 years behind 1st world
    • #30
      Members Super Steve Earle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Work in Brighton
      Posts
      2,919


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone1976 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Sometimes, irony is delicious.
      Apparently poachers are too!!
      I hope you meet someone your height, so you can see eye to eye with someone as small as you!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •