Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Lion eats Poacher

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Spot on. I used to live Phalaborwa, very close to this reserve and the whole area is so vast that it's impossible to police effectively. Along with poaching, it's where a great deal of smuggling goes on and even more human trafficking historically from Mozambique but nowadays from Zimbabwe. There's even illegal settlements right there in the park. It sounds incredible to believe but a lot of people get attacked by crocodiles, hippos, hyenas, lions and African wild dogs. A LOT of people.

I suspect from the BBC report that the poacher was indigenous rather than an Afrikaaner taking a rich tourist on an illegal hunt. Playing Devil's Advocate here for a minute, I did once have a conversation with someone who said that poaching for traditional medicines was different than shooting for fun. The former had been going on for thousands of years and this had never upset the ecological balance. Extinction was something exported with Europe's invasion of Africa.

His argument was that even if you disagreed with both forms of killing (and both of us did) he said that it was hypocritical of the West to mock this belief in African medicine because the Western way was purely for fun, the African way is misguided but the killing is for a purpose. He compared it to fishing - we fish for a purpose: to eat them and yet there are plenty of people who think it's barbaric and unnecessary (I don't think this btw) so when a fisherman tragically dies at sea, some vegans might mock the fishermen like some people are this poacher but there's plenty of us who would mourn the loss of the fisherman and think him brave, which is exactly how the African poacher's community would feel about him.

It's one of those arguments that I'm sure I disagree with but I found it incredibly difficult to argue against.

My nearest reserves were Tala and Hluhluwe even the former needed a couple of armed staff 24/7 to protect I believe 2 Rhinos, the latter, well. As said Kruger is not viably policable

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Was he a dentist?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Everyone saying good, well I will repeat myself
We dont live in Utopia
Poachers are wrong yes. But as I said they have no other way of making a means to an end for their familys. SA is still a good coupla generations and governments away from that, aphartheid still goes on, I paid my domestic double the going rate to come from a looooong way because blacks still serve whites, get paid **** all and have to still get on different transport

Its crap but how it is
I would rather kill a Lion if I cant write or read to feed my family than not to. Just how it is there

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Zimbabwe is IMO 15 years behind SA which is 25-30 years behind 1st world

Mugabe to blame for that. One of the strongest economies basically dismantled and then unable to feed themselves with hyper inflation. At least he has gone now and there is some hope

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Mugabe to blame for that. One of the strongest economies basically dismantled and then unable to feed themselves with hyper inflation. At least he has gone now and there is some hope

Dont even get me stated on him
Both he and Zuma came to my companies annual awards and I sat with one of them, and their wives. Corrupt as ****. Here is the rate at the time whilst farmers were getting killed
Zimbabwe offers new exchange rate: $1 for 35,000,000,000,000,000 old dollars

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Spot on. All the huffing and puffing about Saddam way back when, and I was saying (to anyone who would listen) Mugabe (or Ebagum, as Private Eye dubbed him) was much worse (for his own country), and should be number one target to depose. Tricky, though, as he had bribed enough mugs with 'free' farms (that they destroyed) etc that an overthrow from without would have ended in tears....

Delighted also to see Zuma shown the same sort of door today. How indeed power corrupts....

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bllocks to him. Lovely they kept his head as a souvenir

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I hope it hurt.

I'd also like to think that the lions left his head intact so they had something to shit on afterwards.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Everyone saying good, well I will repeat myself
We dont live in Utopia
Poachers are wrong yes. But as I said they have no other way of making a means to an end for their familys. SA is still a good coupla generations and governments away from that, aphartheid still goes on, I paid my domestic double the going rate to come from a looooong way because blacks still serve whites, get paid **** all and have to still get on different transport

Its crap but how it is
I would rather kill a Lion if I cant write or read to feed my family than not to. Just how it is there

Guess the Lion felt the same way. On that occasion the Lion won.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here