LB1_1_Zoom.jpg

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
There is a bigger issue here (and no way do I condone poaching I have seen it first hand and abhor it and seen the resources SA try and put privately into stopping it)

It is nigh on impossible to stop. The poachers are generally illiterate, no education and walk in from townships to make some money the only way they know how. It's easier to get a gun in SA than it is to learn how to use a pen in parts. They don't know it is wrong all the time and the reserves are too big to police, even the private ones cover 10s of hectares and Kruger is the size of Wales

If Zuma and his cronies got out it could be better, he's milking millions out of the country when there are water problems and starving kids. Honestly killing a lion is a small part of a HUGER problem there

Last edited:

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
My immediate reaction to stories like this and, say, matadors being gored by bulls, is good on the lion/bull. But then I reflect and think about the human cost and think yeah, good on the lion/bull.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The advantage of the Lion in unarmed combat. It eats all the evidence.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
download.jpeg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There is a bigger issue here (and no way do I condone poaching I have seen it first hand and abhor it and seen the resources SA try and put privately into stopping it)

It is nigh on impossible to stop. The poachers are generally illiterate, no education and walk in from townships to make some money the only way they know how. It's easier to get a gun in SA than it is to learn how to use a pen in parts. They don't know it is wrong all the time and the reserves are too big to police, even the private ones cover 10s of hectares and Kruger is the size of Wales

If Zuma and his cronies got out it could be better, he's milking millions out of the country when there are water problems and starving kids. Honestly killing a lion is a small part of a HUGER problem there

Spot on. I used to live Phalaborwa, very close to this reserve and the whole area is so vast that it's impossible to police effectively. Along with poaching, it's where a great deal of smuggling goes on and even more human trafficking historically from Mozambique but nowadays from Zimbabwe. There's even illegal settlements right there in the park. It sounds incredible to believe but a lot of people get attacked by crocodiles, hippos, hyenas, lions and African wild dogs. A LOT of people.

I suspect from the BBC report that the poacher was indigenous rather than an Afrikaaner taking a rich tourist on an illegal hunt. Playing Devil's Advocate here for a minute, I did once have a conversation with someone who said that poaching for traditional medicines was different than shooting for fun. The former had been going on for thousands of years and this had never upset the ecological balance. Extinction was something exported with Europe's invasion of Africa.

His argument was that even if you disagreed with both forms of killing (and both of us did) he said that it was hypocritical of the West to mock this belief in African medicine because the Western way was purely for fun, the African way is misguided but the killing is for a purpose. He compared it to fishing - we fish for a purpose: to eat them and yet there are plenty of people who think it's barbaric and unnecessary (I don't think this btw) so when a fisherman tragically dies at sea, some vegans might mock the fishermen like some people are this poacher but there's plenty of us who would mourn the loss of the fisherman and think him brave, which is exactly how the African poacher's community would feel about him.

It's one of those arguments that I'm sure I disagree with but I found it incredibly difficult to argue against.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here