Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 116
  1. #51
    Members
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,483


    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Outside your house? Essential traffic would obviously be permitted.
    Fair enough. Sounds a great idea - my kids would be able to play in the street without through traffic using rat runs

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #52
      Members Tricky Dicky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Sunny Shoreham
      Posts
      13,561


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      To be fair in about ten years time the centres of our cities will have far less traffic anyway. As shops disappear, which they will do. As our parents generation dies out the likes of Debenhams and WHSmith will fall by the wayside. Less delivery traffic and less need for cars if you have nothing heavy to carry back.
      All major consumable shopping is done out of town in places like Hollingbury or the Holmbush centre.
      Within a decade or two most people will only be visiting the centre of towns to meet friends and get food, or get pissed (and we are doing less and less of that).
      It will take a little longer in London maybe but Brighton city centre will be unrecognisable in 10 - 20 yrs.
      I doubt it. There's still the same number of "shops" but the type will be different. What will change is the driverless cars plus the drone shuttles that will start appearing. Drone transport will be the next big thing.
      Tricky-Art for perusal at your leisure. Warning : No Albion content (yet - maybe sometime)

      http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/TrickyDicky
    • #53
      A. Virgo, Football Genius
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      24,013


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Johnny RoastBeef View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Underground trains, monorail and tram systems all require massive infrastructure to operate, so would be prohibitively expensive to introduce.

      Electric automated shuttle buses, operating on regular routes throughout the city centre would require zero new infrastructure and are already in public use in Australia.

      If the council had the will they could invest in a fleet of these today, pedestrianise the city centre, and reduce pollution and increase public safety in one.
      councils dont own or run the buses. fortunately, commercial operations do which will switch to electric and hybrid as the old rolling stock is replaced, already occurring in London.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
    • #54
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      65,001


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      councils dont own or run the buses. fortunately, commercial operations do which will switch to electric and hybrid as the old rolling stock is replaced, already occurring in London.
      Didnt BRIGHTON Council own and run the Blue buses in the 50s possibly 60s
    • #55
      Members The Clamp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2016
      Location
      West is BEST
      Posts
      5,197


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I doubt it. There's still the same number of "shops" but the type will be different. What will change is the driverless cars plus the drone shuttles that will start appearing. Drone transport will be the next big thing.
      I agree with what you say about drone shuttles. The problem is, apart from clothing shops like Hollister the shops that are closing aren't being replaced with anything except nomadic shops run by dodgy looking Persians selling etched mirrors, wheelie suitcases, stolen phones and Michael Jackson mugs.

      So town centres will soon be the exclusive domain of Arabian shop owners, the council estaters that shop in their stores and slightly bent looking teenage boys shopping for clothes together, holding hands and sitting in cafes drinking half caf double decaf mocha ice cream, discussing their studies and telling each other what world changing, beautiful people they are.

      Gone are the days of lads and lasses piling into town on the bus, new shirt and an album and down the boozer until closing. I mourn the future.
      Nearly.
    • #56
      Members Peter Grummit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Lewes
      Posts
      5,360


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Not Andy Naylor View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Upgrade and extend the Volks Railway tracks to take DLR-type light rail as far as West Street then up to the station. Trams on all the other main routes. We had them pre-war.

      http://bjournal.co/should-brighton-get-a-tram-system/
      Replace the local life-expired class 313 train rolling stock that runs coastway services with new, accessible tram-trains that run through Brighton station, stopping at Clock Tower, bottom of West Street then east coastway services turn right for i360, King Alfred, West End, Lagoon and Shoreham harbour. West coastway tram-trains turn left for the Pier, Madeira Drive, Black Rock and Marina proper, possibly utilising Volks alignment. Heritage VR units could possibly operate in parallel, subject to crash-worthiness refitting. Business case improved by the need to replace the 313s anyway and the cheaper running costs of more modern stock.

      This would free up platform capacity at Brighton (because through trains spend less time in platforms than terminating ones) to allow direct cross-Brighton coastway services and/or more frequent mainline services. Consider additional car/cycle parking at existing stations.

      Cost partly covered by land value uplift (eg King Alfred; Madeira Terraces for business arches). Key driver of integrated sustainable transport/regeneration strategy. Services could be run as separate franchise from Southern if value-for-money or as municipal operation as a public sector comparator, internalising much of the land value uplift to the project for council-owned land/property.

      Just an idea.

      PG
      Harry!Harry!Harry!
    • #57
      Members Tricky Dicky's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2004
      Location
      Sunny Shoreham
      Posts
      13,561


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Clamp View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I agree with what you say about drone shuttles. The problem is, apart from clothing shops like Hollister the shops that are closing aren't being replaced with anything except nomadic shops run by dodgy looking Persians selling etched mirrors, wheelie suitcases, stolen phones and Michael Jackson mugs.

      So town centres will soon be the exclusive domain of Arabian shop owners, the council estaters that shop in their stores and slightly bent looking teenage boys shopping for clothes together, holding hands and sitting in cafes drinking half caf double decaf mocha ice cream, discussing their studies and telling each other what world changing, beautiful people they are.

      Gone are the days of lads and lasses piling into town on the bus, new shirt and an album and down the boozer until closing. I mourn the future.
      I don't know the future of the high-street, but it will undoubtedly be different. I suspect what will happen is someone with great imagination will come up with novel uses for the shops, something we've not thought of as yet. It would be a shame if they just dissolved to flats. If I knew what the answer was, I'd be a rich man. In Shoreham the town centre is all cafes and nail bars, but at least there are no empty premises - it would be nice to be able to get a good cup of tea somewhere, not just coffee !
      Tricky-Art for perusal at your leisure. Warning : No Albion content (yet - maybe sometime)

      http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/TrickyDicky
    • #58
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      The arse end of Hangleton
      Posts
      14,789


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Cycling initiatives fail because they are half arsed, poorly funded and done as last resort to spend funding before it is taken back by central government.

      Just painting a couple of miles of tarmac isn't a holistic approach to genuine 21st century transportation issues.
      Genuine question, what kind of initiative do you think is needed ? I ask as my journey to work is 4 miles. Every now and then, during a moment of madness, I consider cycling to work. Easy on the way there but almost up hill all the way home. I than come to my senses and jump in the car. It would have to be one hell of an initiative to make me switch - possibly involving something like a button ski lift to get me back up the hills.
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."
    • #59
      Sanity Clause vegster's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      17,392


      1 Not allowed!
      Hang on, I've got an idea!......




      How about we build a Brighton Underground with the £350m a week we now pay in to the EU?... Simples!
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

      " Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015
    • #60
      Members BBassic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Communist Republic of Deviancy
      Posts
      6,230


      0 Not allowed!
      Who runs all the car parks in B&H? I'd wager they'd have something to say about reducing car traffic.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •