Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Transport in Brighton TIME FOR A UNDERGROUND SYSTEM.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Genuine question, what kind of initiative do you think is needed ? I ask as my journey to work is 4 miles. Every now and then, during a moment of madness, I consider cycling to work. Easy on the way there but almost up hill all the way home. I than come to my senses and jump in the car. It would have to be one hell of an initiative to make me switch - possibly involving something like a button ski lift to get me back up the hills.

4 miles to work (or dropping kids off to school) in a car is exactly the journey that needs to be eradicated.
It does the commuter, the car and the environment no favours at all.

Only considering 2 options is part problem.
I never ever think to use the bus for any journey, I can all but see 2 bus stops from the end of my drive, and yet never use them.
They aren't convenient, comfortable or cheap (at least that's what I tell myself) .
I only take the train for trips to London or Gun Wharf Quay

The 'cycle to work' scheme is an excellent way to get bikes that are fit for purpose into the hands of those making such small journeys.
But who the hell wants to do that if it's going to take almost as long and be 100 times more dangerous.

My knowledge of cycling around Brighton is pretty sketchy, (I still pretty much do the same road from Ditchling to the pier and along the coast) let alone Hangleton.

I'd hazard a guess I'd look at your route and think f*** that I'm driving.

But if I could pick up a fit for purpose safe cycle path, not a shared space shoehorned in with fast cars, parked cars and pedestrians I'd me more inclined to get a bike that makes easy work of the hill home, knowing I'll be safe, fitter, saving money and ideally time as well.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Can they not take their tools to a job during the delivery time, surely just a matter of organisation., or possibly give exemption permits but be very selective on who and how many.
Hopefully all emergencies happen in the delivery time

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Could bring back the Brighton and Rottingdean Seashore Electric Railway too.

bh424832_d02.jpg

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Reopen the railway line to Kemp town and reopen the lewes line to Uckfield and Haywards Heath to East Grinstead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reopen the railway line to Kemp town and reopen the lewes line to Uckfield and Haywards Heath to East Grinstead.

Do you think they'll be able to get that done before the Summer season?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bus diagram map for Brighton, before Saturday please?

Seriously, rearranging the bus routes is overdue, The number 2 has been going all around the houses for nearly 100 years. Takes bloody ages.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seriously, rearranging the bus routes is overdue, The number 2 has been going all around the houses for nearly 100 years. Takes bloody ages.

This. 5/5A/5B all trundle much the same way through the middle of town. Not one of of them does the bleeding obvious and take in Brighton station on their mindlessly-conceived trundle. Sake!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DV6kBrXX0AAEtJz.jpg

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There needs to be a bit more can-do attitude on here.

Brighton too hilly for underground’s …. Pah? Just dig deeper, imagine how long the escalator from the racecourse underground station up to the top would be. It could be a record breaker. Anyway, Hong Kong are building in caverns under their hills. We should be too.
Council budgets too stretched? … nonsense, lets engineer some growth

I propose a hyperloop style underground system linking the following ….

Brighton Station
Churchill Square
I360

Then separate the lines ..

The Zamora line goes

King Alfred (but the KA would have to be made worth going to)
Western Park and ride (created by bulldozing Fishersgate)

The Ward line goes

Marina
Racecourse

You could also take the Calderon line which goes in a V shape to the north

Mill Road park and ride (now a permanent P&R)
Patcham
Fiveways
Brighton Station
The Level
Mithras House
Amex

Then (as has been stated) pedestrianise the square between the KA, Brighton station and the Marina. Let the bike and the pedestrian be king.

I await my next council tax bill with anticipation

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

That map is very good. It's even as confusing as the London Tube Map. Nick Cave having his own stop is a nice touch too. The stop at the Amex. Where would the best place for that to be situated then? As far away from Falmer station as possible I'd have thought.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That map is very good. It's even as confusing as the London Tube Map. Nick Cave having his own stop is a nice touch too. The stop at the Amex. Where would the best place for that to be situated then? As far away from Falmer station as possible I'd have thought.

I'd suggest an elevated track which curves around The Amex. With stops at WSU and ESU. Then have slides at the ends of the platforms for those who want to go to the lower levels.

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
I haven't read through every comment on here, but are people actually putting forward actual suggestions and having petty arguments with each other?

Can't we all just get along and quote the Simpsons like grown adults...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What is your point? Many disabled people need to be able to use a car for their independence, so banning cars from the city would make things harder for them. Why are you arguing with that?

THPP has already pointed out that the buses are fully equipped to take wheelchairs, a lowering platform for those who aren't so sprightly, and bus passes for the elderly.
As I'm retired, I pop into Brighton or Eastbourne quite often, and see many disabled people happily using the buses.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here