Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rule changes - What would you make?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Do away with offside altogether !! Field Hockey did away with offside many years ago much better now ....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Throw ins - the first person to pick up the ball must throw in.

Simulation - automatic 2 match ban, decided by a weekly panel, for all cases. Regardless of whether the officials saw it or not, or whether it was punished at the time.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't like throw in's, they're nothing to do with football. Replace it with a kick in which can't leave the ground (or else it's awarded to the opposition), and the oppo have to retreat 5 yards
Simulation to be officially referred to as diving
Remove retrospective bans for anyone unequivocally found guilty of diving. Deduct their team a league point instead
Anything which the ref considers time wasting, means that double that time will be added
Sin bins a good idea
Refs miked up
Free kicks can be taken with the ball moving and there's never any restriction on a quick free kick (bookings can happen later if necessary)
Feigning head injury to take the sting out of the game = about a 10 match ban
Any time a ball is put out or play is stopped for a player to get treatment, the other team get the option of a uncontested drop ball where the player went down or in the D if it is in the attacking penalty area. (I realise I need to think this through more)
Bin off VAR. I don't like it, but greatly increase retrospective punishments, like citing in Rugby

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
No offsides if once the player receives the ball he then has the keeper and a defender between him and the goal.

30 minute halves with play stopping every time the ball goes out of play and game is over once the ball goes dead.

No segregation of fans and alcohol allowed in sight of the pitch.

1 point for a home draw but 2 if you are the away side

I hate fact that the team who is fouled against can’t take the free kick straightaway. They should be allowed to take if they want - they were wronged against. It would stop those professional fouls / deliberate fouls to hold up play so the defending team can get players back behind the ball and help create more flowing football and more goals . . especially in last 20 mins of a game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No l said a clear attempt to prevent a goal and merely gave handball on the goal line as an example. Obviously a foul that prevents a genuine goal scoring opportunity would be a pen.
But there are going to be so many where it's hugely debatable as to whether or not it's a goal scoring opportunity. You need it to be clearly defined. So what would your definition be?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We cannot ban this one
Indeed. Presumably he was joking :shrug:

A couple of rule changes/reversals from me

- get rid of the yellow card for removing a shirt or over-celebrating a goal
- remove all of the inactive, interfering interpretation from offside and go back to the simple is he goalside when kicked option
- only captain can address an official
- subs made whilst game moving
Yes
No - prefer it as it is
Yes
Yes
All good calls. The last one would be too complex though
Not if you just tell the 4th official, other manager gets to know, and player you replace has to get to 4th official before new player goes on. There are only 3 subs a game anyway, it's hardly going to be chaos.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The problem with most laws are fan acceptance. Half the fans want something, the other fans want something else - lots of people were calling for the clamp down on holding during corners, last season they clamp down on it and loads of fans start complaining about the physicality being taken out of the game. We'd love these laws when they go for us, but when they go against is it's just another example of how bad officiating has got...

In the spirit of the thread, though...

I would make deliberate fouls a red card offence, regardless of how minor they are. Those 'taking one for the team' type challenges, especially on the half-way line cheese me off.

I would define a foul as 'any time a player chooses to go to ground when they could, with reasonable effort, stay on their feet; when they initiate contact that results in their own falling over; or where the fall is exaggerated and does not reflect the force or physics of the challenge'. There is no 'right to go down'. I would also extend retrospective action on dives to those that do not result in an advantage. Diving would be a red card offence.

Players cannot be punished for any reasonable physical action against fans IF said fans have entered the field of play.

If a team has been warned (even just a verbal warning, i.e. not a necessarily a yellow card) for time wasting, the 6 second rule is strictly enforced for that team.

More leniency on position of free kicks/free kicks with a moving ball for free kicks in a teams own half (don't see the point in getting worked up about free kicks being taken from the right spot so far from your opponents goal).

Get rid of punishments for celebrations.

Make all pundits, analysts, commentators attend refereeing courses and updates to laws of the games every season. They influence fan opinion on things way more than they are given credit for, shaping the conversation around incidents - if they can accurately explain laws as they are meant to be interpreted. Make it compulsory for televised matches to have a referee on staff to explain laws (it's the one thing I think BT does better than Sky)

Allow video assistant referees to second guess the ref - though still give the ref final say. Currently VAR's are supposed to look at incidents as 'can I see why the ref gave it?', which means for instance, Stoke's penalty wouldn't have been reviewed. If the VAR can look at it and say 'would I have given it?' it might have been reviewed - a simple "think that's more 50/50, you should have another look" would get the Stoke penalty looked at. (Though, refs are as individual as fans and players, so you might get a few too many replays if they are particularly different in their application of the laws)

One minute minimum added time for each substitute. By the time some sloths exit the field it's easily eaten up a few minutes. It's blatant time wasting. Book the player who being substituted if he deliberately slows his exit.

The problem with that is the other way - losing teams take a few seconds to make a substitution, you're gifting the team chasing the game extra time in which to do it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Abolish the bit where free kicks can only be taken if the ball has stopped rolling.

Definitely do something about players leaving the field re subs ...15 seconds or they are shot :moo:

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
But there are going to be so many where it's hugely debatable as to whether or not it's a goal scoring opportunity. You need it to be clearly defined. So what would your definition be?

Defender bringing down an attacker, goalkeeper bringing down an attacker, deliberate handball on the line...you don't need me to explain. Something that the ref feels is an illegal attempt to prevent a direct goal scoring opportunity!

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
At the end of the game, once injury time is up, play on until the ball goes out of play...like they do in rugby!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Defender bringing down an attacker, goalkeeper bringing down an attacker, deliberate handball on the line...you don't need me to explain. Something that the ref feels is an illegal attempt to prevent a direct goal scoring opportunity!

As an example of the problems, in a hypothetical situation the Dunk tackle on Adams after the penalty if the same happened on the penalty spot and the ref deemed it a foul would that mean an auto red card.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Go for 30minunte in-play halves - this will negate time wasting.
Sin bins for yellow cards - benefits the team who was cheated in that match
Refs to be miked up - we can then listen to tirades of players (hopefully would empress them so stopping it) and why they have made decisions
Book any player (apart from captain) who approaches ref or assistants (change behaviour at lower level)
Instead of penalties do that thing they did in the America in the 70s where player starts in centre circle and has 10 seconds as a one on one with keeper (more skills involved from attacker and keeper)
VAR to be on screens and discussed list rugby / cricket
Any player who goes down like has been shot and then miraculously springs up to be banned - it’s as bad as diving
Physios to go whilst match active - if serious then he can tell ref and match stopped
Striker allowed to bundle keeper and ball into net - before my time but sounded like a great idea

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anyway, I’d change the match time to 30 minutes each way but stop the clock every time the ball is out of play of the match is inactive.

Definitely. I think I've suggested this every time any sort of thread about possible rule changes has come up! I'm sure the ref's timepiece could be hooked up to the stadium display screens too, so that fans could see how long was left as well.

I'd do away with that 'phase of the game' bollox part of the off-side rule too, and go back towards, but not all the way to, the old law.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Enforce the obstruction rule of players letting the ball run out of play by stopping the opponent getting to it. Indirect free kick awarded
Enforce the no ground taking on a throw in by awarding the throw the other way.
An indrect free kick for kicking the ball if it hasnt left the area on a goal kick against the offending player either way.
As in Rugby the ref calls time when the ball is out of play after the time signal.

The big one Offside only if player is in the penalty area and not from a set piece kick of any description..

If the physio comes on player must leave the field for minimum 3 mins to be examined by a pitch side doctor..

Your first point can't be enforced as it clearly states in the laws this is NOT obstruction

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
If a player is injured and has to leave the field to be treated, the offending opponent (if they received a yellow card) must also leave the field until the injured player is able to return. If the injured player is unable to return, then the offending opponent can not return. If the injured player is out for XX weeks, the opponent should also suspended for the time the injured player is unavailable to play. It is going to stop all sorts of hacking.

I believe that a linesman should mark where a throw in should take place (using the spray) and a throw in must be taken at that point and that a throw in must be taken by the closest player to the point where the ball left the field.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here