Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rule changes - What would you make?

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
It isn't obstruction as it is allowed within the laws, ie if the ball is within playing distance you can shield it. It's also not classified as time wasting, ie the ref can't add time because of it, as the ball is in play. Time wasting is when the ball is out of play and a team take too long to bring it back into play, ie goal kicks, throw ins etc.

They could of course change the rules (that would seem to suit BG) with regard to shielding the ball but don't see it as a major problem. Up to the opposition to get players in there to win the ball.

If a player takes the ball to the corner, the majority of time he then spends the next minute making no attempt to play the ball but preventing the opposition from playing it! Then it goes out of play and the whole process is repeated. It is a form of time wasting and therefore ungentlemanly conduct. You don't see it during the previous 87 minutes. The player with the ball makes a beeline straight to the corner. I know it's legal at the moment but l would like to see it changed!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I want to reduce needless stoppages in the game, as it just doesn't flow enough.

> As with rugby, the physio runs on and treats a minor injury without the game stopping. Only something the ref deems a serious injury should stop play.

> Don't stop play for a substitution. Once the board is held up that player is out of the game and interfering with play is a foul and a booking (no-one can replace him if that's a second booking!). His replacement cannot enter the game until he's left the field, and play isn't held up waiting. Subs would RUN off the pitch.

> Fouls are only given if a team has suffered because of it. What a waste of time it is when a free-kick is given for a minor foul as the defenders are passing it around. The game stops, a pointless free-kick is given, and it's so minor there's no yellow card. When you are fouled in your own half, play advantage as standard, and only stop the play if a team has been disadvantaged.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
On the point of added injury time, has anyone, in any league, EVER put a board up with '0' minutes? Even if a half was played with no stoppages, subs, ball out of play, no time wasting, it seems they will still put at least a '1' up. So effectively, it's a game of 92 minutes....

So my rule change is to use the '0'!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Book players who surround the ref, only the captain to engage with the ref after a controversial decision.

And I like the rugby physio idea

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Book players who surround the ref, only the captain to engage with the ref after a controversial decision.

And I like the rugby physio idea

I had a vision while watching the players crowding round the ref, who was trying to hear a controversial VAR's decision.

Why didn't he spray a 'wall' line.
Take his cards from his pocket.
Then step back 5 - 10 paces.

I bet the players would all automatically stand behind the line and if any didn't the ref is already with a card warning.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
That really annoys me. The player that committed the foul that led to treatment being needed should have to leave the field of play as well.

Or better still, if a player receives treatment as a result of being fouled, then he should not have to leave the pitch after treatment. The fact that a free kick has been given and the team committing the foul has a man advantage for a few moments is blatantly wrong.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
The rule is clear enough for red cards - if it's the last defender, and they foul the attacker, they're off. But if it had to be that bad for a penalty, there'd be loads of fouls in the box just to stop a striker getting a shot away.

The current rules would only count such an opportunity when it's the last man - if you did that, there'd be fouls galore, and a lot less goals in open play.
There is nothing in the laws about "last man". What constitutes a goal scoring opportunity is actually quite closely defined and there is no reason why it couldn't be used to define what is or isn't a penalty under this idea.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
On the point of added injury time, has anyone, in any league, EVER put a board up with '0' minutes? Even if a half was played with no stoppages, subs, ball out of play, no time wasting, it seems they will still put at least a '1' up. So effectively, it's a game of 92 minutes....

You do quite often see refs blow the whistle at exactly 90:00, in International friendlies.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Ramble chaps have just mentioned in Gaelic football they have a black card.

These are for offences that are deemed to fall in the grey area of needing more than a yellow card but a red would seem to be too strong.
The black card denotes the player in question has to be substituted.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The Ramble chaps have just mentioned in Gaelic football they have a black card.

These are for offences that are deemed to fall in the grey area of needing more than a yellow card but a red would seem to be too strong.
The black card denotes the player in question has to be substituted.

I've effectively used 'this' when refereeing youth football. Basically, I've 'advised' the errant youth's manager to immediately sub him off, so I don't have to send him off. Generally because that child needs removing from the game, but you don't want to ruin the game (or spark a shit-tonne of fines and pointless paperwork).

I don't think it really works as a punishment in pro football though. If for example Knockaert was tormenting some full back, and he puts in a poor challenge. Use this card, and the only punishment his team are getting is that they've had to use up one of their substitutions. I'd rather Knocky was still running at the guy, on a yellow.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If a player, in "shepherding" a ball out of play behind the goal line, is preventing an opposition player getting to the ball, then it's a corner, irrespective of who last touched the ball.

You can't be offside if the ball is played from your own half.

After 85 minutes, the game can be declared over if both captains agree (or if more than 10% of the crowd have left)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Like rugby, if a player goes down "injured" the physio can be called on and the play goes on around them. It would instantly stop a lot of rolling around and time wasting. The game only stops if it's a serious injury. It would also stop strategic head injuries where refs are obliged to stop the game.

This. I've been banging on about this for yonky donks.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Like rugby, if a player goes down "injured" the physio can be called on and the play goes on around them. It would instantly stop a lot of rolling around and time wasting. The game only stops if it's a serious injury. It would also stop strategic head injuries where refs are obliged to stop the game.

So very much this. I've been saying this for years. Take a leaf out of Rugby on this one. All a player has to do is stay down up one end of the pitch for an attack to get stopped. And the majority of the crowd go mental if the game isn't instantly stopped for a padre to administer the last rites.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Spurs vs Arsenal had zero time added on at the end of the first half on Saturday, and the ref blew for time on 45mins. And it has happened to the Albion on a number of occasions over the years, so it can happen!

smelly

May 23, 2004
The “fouled” player having to leave the field after treatment and his “fouler” being booked and allowed to remain on thus penalising the injured player’s team.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Spurs vs Arsenal had zero time added on at the end of the first half on Saturday, and the ref blew for time on 45mins. And it has happened to the Albion on a number of occasions over the years, so it can happen!

Yes, I've seen games where the whistle blows on 45, but yet to see the board go up with '0'.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Referee stun guns or tasers. If a ruckus unfolds in front of them, the biggest of the potential clobberers needs to be felled. Zap! Down he goes. No yellow card. Sorry Duffy, you'll be out for 10 minutes. If not that, then perhaps a ref could carry a cane or big ruler, in a 1980s deputy headmaster way. It would be rarely used, but the knowledge that the ref had one would surely deter the odd rascal from flinging an elbow.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
These have probably been mentioned but:

Injured players should exit the pitch via the nearest available touchline. None of this walking from the SE corner to the dugout.
Book any subbed player trudging slowly off the pitch. Book him again if he doesn't speed up.

Basically: anything that eradicates time wasting.

Oh, and do away with linos. They only ever wait for the ref to make a decision before flinging their flag in whichever direction he's indicating anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here