Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rule changes - What would you make?

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
With the recent Stoke match with the blatant dive that led to the penalty when there was absolutely no threat to our goal, and the consequences that could have been if they had scored, it got me thinking what changes could be made to improve the game! Here's a few...

Do away with penalties in most instances, unless it is a clear attempt to prevent a goal, ie handball on the line, then award a pen. I've always thought that the majority of penalties are given when there is not always a direct threat on goal, the ball inadvertantly hitting someone on the arm or minimal contact when the player is in the 18 yard box running away from goal, yet the consequence of awarding a penalty doesn't fit the crime. Look at Saturdays debacle when the ball was sailing out of play yet the ref awarded a pen for Jese's dive. IF it's a foul in the 18 yard box then award a free kick and have all the opposition on the goal line if necessary! Be quite entertaining!

Also one match ban for diving or 'unsporting' conduct which can scrutinized after a match. Three match ban if it leads to a penalty or wrongful sending off. That should cut out alot of the cheating.

One minute minimum added time for each substitute. By the time some sloths exit the field it's easily eaten up a few minutes. It's blatant time wasting. Book the player who being substituted if he deliberately slows his exit.

Taking the ball into the corner and then shielding the opposition from getting the ball by any means and limbs possible. It's obstruction and time wasting! Free kick the other way!
Any other ideas?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Like rugby, if a player goes down "injured" the physio can be called on and the play goes on around them. It would instantly stop a lot of rolling around and time wasting. The game only stops if it's a serious injury. It would also stop strategic head injuries where refs are obliged to stop the game.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
#pedantalert

There are no rules in football, only Laws

Anyway, I’d change the match time to 30 minutes each way but stop the clock every time the ball is out of play of the match is inactive.

Roll on, roll off subs

Ditch yellow cards where and introduce 15 minute sin bins for dissent, foul and abusive language or unsporting behaviour including celebrating goals in front of opposition fans and therefore causing inflammatory situations.

All red card fouls/challenges offences to be reviewed by VAR to remove element of doubt.

Think there are others I thought of but they are my starters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
#pedantalert

There are no rules in football, only Laws

Anyway, I’d change the match time to 30 minutes each way but stop the clock every time the ball is out of play of the match is inactive.

Roll on, roll off subs

Ditch yellow cards where and introduce 15 minute sin bins for dissent, foul and abusive language or unsporting behaviour including celebrating goals in front of opposition fans and therefore causing inflammatory situations.

All red card fouls/challenges offences to be reviewed by VAR to remove element of doubt.

Think there are others I thought of but they are my starters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[MENTION=13995]Beth[/MENTION]ere'tilmidnight

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do away with penalties in most instances, unless it is a clear attempt to prevent a goal, ie handball on the line, then award a pen. I've always thought that the majority of penalties are given when there is not always a direct threat on goal, the ball inadvertantly hitting someone on the arm or minimal contact when the player is in the 18 yard box running away from goal, yet the consequence of awarding a penalty doesn't fit the crime. Look at Saturdays debacle when the ball was sailing out of play yet the ref awarded a pen for Jese's dive. IF it's a foul in the 18 yard box then award a free kick and have all the opposition on the goal line if necessary! Be quite entertaining!
So handball on the line, you're giving a penalty. Any other time someone's about to shoot, defenders might as well take them out, at least they'll then have a chance with a wall in front of the goal. Better than letting someone take a shot with just the keeper to beat.

I'd simply have VAR to stop penalties like the one on Saturday. If someone then gives away a penalty when the player was going away from goal, more fool them.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
So handball on the line, you're giving a penalty. Any other time someone's about to shoot, defenders might as well take them out, at least they'll then have a chance with a wall in front of the goal. Better than letting someone take a shot with just the keeper to beat.

I'd simply have VAR to stop penalties like the one on Saturday. If someone then gives away a penalty when the player was going away from goal, more fool them.

No l said a clear attempt to prevent a goal and merely gave handball on the goal line as an example. Obviously a foul that prevents a genuine goal scoring opportunity would be a pen. The majority of fouls in the box though that get awarded a penalty are not preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
unsporting behaviour including celebrating goals in front of opposition fans and therefore causing inflammatory situations.

We cannot ban this one of my favourite things in a game seeing Murray cupping his ear along the crowd. Adds a bit of spice to the atmosphere

A couple of rule changes/reversals from me

- get rid of the yellow card for removing a shirt or over-celebrating a goal

- remove all of the inactive, interfering interpretation from offside and go back to the simple is he goalside when kicked option

- only captain can address an official

- subs made whilst game moving

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
We cannot ban this one of my favourite things in a game seeing Murray cupping his ear along the crowd. Adds a bit of spice to the atmosphere

A couple of rule changes/reversals from me

- get rid of the yellow card for removing a shirt or over-celebrating a goal

- remove all of the inactive, interfering interpretation from offside and go back to the simple is he goalside when kicked option

- only captain can address an official

- subs made whilst game moving

All good calls. The last one would be too complex though

Never mind Murray, lets think about Fowler, no way should have he been penalised for sniffing the pitch

Oh and kung fu kicking Palace fans should be applauded and the card reversed. How can the ban be extended? Ludicrous. In fact a bonus point seems reasonable

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, I feel strongly that there should only be a booking for a goal celebration if the scorer is taking the piss out of the opposition players or fans.

Apart from anything else, how sh1t must the referee feel when they know they have to book a player after scoring a wondergoal, i.e Izquierdo vs West Ham? It's just ridiculous and shows how disconnected those who run football are with those who play the game and those who pay to watch it.

What I'd like to see in my fantasy football viewing experience is for the fourth official to let off a siren when they consider a "worldie" has been scored, giving the scoring team one minute to go batsh1t crazy with impunity.

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Injured or those pretending to be injured can get treated on the pitch whilst the game goes on.

And a player having to leave the pitch after the physio has been on...what's that all about!!? A defender could be injured in a challenge that's not his fault, the ball goes out for a corner, and he has to leave the field so penalising the defending team! Nonsense!

Players being subbed should go off at the nearest point rather than the dug out! Managers have been known to take off the player furthest from the dugout to kill a bit of time!

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Yep, I feel strongly that there should only be a booking for a goal celebration if the scorer is taking the piss out of the opposition players or fans.

Apart from anything else, how sh1t must the referee feel when they know they have to book a player after scoring a wondergoal, i.e Izquierdo vs West Ham? It's just ridiculous and shows how disconnected those who run football are with those who play the game and those who pay to watch it.

What I'd like to see in my fantasy football viewing experience is for the fourth official to let off a siren when they consider a "worldie" has been scored, giving the scoring team one minute to go batsh1t crazy with impunity.

Did you watch the Lincoln match the other day? They had something that resembled an air raid siren that went off whenever they got a corner!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Enforce the obstruction rule of players letting the ball run out of play by stopping the opponent getting to it. Indirect free kick awarded
Enforce the no ground taking on a throw in by awarding the throw the other way.
An indrect free kick for kicking the ball if it hasnt left the area on a goal kick against the offending player either way.
As in Rugby the ref calls time when the ball is out of play after the time signal.

The big one Offside only if player is in the penalty area and not from a set piece kick of any description..

If the physio comes on player must leave the field for minimum 3 mins to be examined by a pitch side doctor..

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Oh there are some referees just BEGGING for an opportunity to get a card out. I won't mention names, (partly because NSC auto-corrects it) but I think we all know who I'm thinking of.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
And a player having to leave the pitch after the physio has been on...what's that all about!!? A defender could be injured in a challenge that's not his fault, the ball goes out for a corner, and he has to leave the field so penalising the defending team! Nonsense!

That really annoys me. The player that committed the foul that led to treatment being needed should have to leave the field of play as well.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How about if a player is adjudged to have dived from 85th minute onward it is an automatic RED card offence?

A yellow for simulation is meaningless if the game is almost over and a penalty could win you a point or turn a draw into a win. It seems so little to lose, so much to gain - particular if the diver is a winger and unlikely to pick up 10 yellows in a season. All such red cards would automatically be viewed within 48 hours.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That really annoys me. The player that committed the foul that led to treatment being needed should have to leave the field of play as well.

If a player was badly injured they would want the physio on if not he could get off the pitch himself for treatment without being penalised.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here