Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Canceling Season Ticket

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Circumstances change and lifelong fans and long term bets for fans come from all over. When you get the bug, you get the bug. Newer Premier League or recent Champ ST holders just might be able to afford it now, they might have a young family and now want to / are able to go to the football at weekends again, they might introduce their young children who then perhaps become lifelong fans to the club, they might have moved back to the area after living elsewhere, they might want to take their Dad to the football after seasons away because of health, or personal reasons. No reason to suggest any of those *new* fans might not want to continue supporting the club however things turn out this season or in the future.
Watching Izquierdo in the last 2 weeks might persuade you to be a Brighton fan. And that might last for life.
Plenty of Withdean, Gillingham and Goldstone veterans likewise can't, won't or no longer want to be Amex regulars. Fair enough. Football takes up a lot of time and £££ and lives change.
Hard to pinpoint loyalty or commitment purely based on the year you first coughed up for a ST.

Of course you are right about those factors.It has always been the case that changes in financial circumstances in particular have an effect on money spent at the football. However the club now has 8000 on the waiting list and I would be very surprised if it turns out that even a majority of those are there for the Albion rather than the opposition. Some of them for sure will become lifelong fans regardless of which division the club are playing in but it is my guess that many more will simply fade away following a relegation. This is exactly what happened after 1983. My point is that the club needs to look after those fans that are most likely to stay the course regardless of the level of football and not be distracted by the thousands of premier league fans. A ticket exchange worthy of the name would be a good way of achieving this aim.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m not after a crafty deal. I’m a long standing STH who in the past made all games. My work schedule now means for the time being I can not always make games. The club agree with me and have put a ticket exchange in place, you reward loyalty with loyalty. You have helped me decide to keep my ST. I don’t fancy giving it up for someone who decided because we are in the premier league they want a ST

The only informal way to share your ticket is to share with a close friend or family member and split the cost and agree which games you'll see. I do know 3 families who share a 1 adult and 2 u18 tickets between them and agree the 6 games each they'll see. Obviously this is against the T&Cs, but...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Do you really believe that all of a sudden 8,000 people’s circumstances have changed? Laughable, I can accept that a percentage of that 8,000 are new fans/circumstances changed. The club have not had a waiting list for a number of years and you always get a percentage that give up their ST and then the percentage who come back or new fans which is who you are talk about and in previous seasons that’s not been a huge impact as I suspect it’s evens out. So to suddenly have an 8,000 waiting list would point to the fact we are in the premier league. Lets see if that waiting list is as big if we go back down to the championship

No. Of course the interest in being the Premier League attracts new fans, they want to see some of the best footballers in the world, and yes i guess some have flirted with others. They might not be around forever. They may seek their football fix elsewhere, their interest might fade if the clubs fortunes fade, the Championship or L1 is not necessarily what they're after.. But for many over the last 18 months, their first experience of football, not just adults, might have hooked them to the Albion forever . We all start somewhere.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
No. Of course the interest in being the Premier League attracts new fans, they want to see some of the best footballers in the world, and yes i guess some have flirted with others. They might not be around forever. They may seek their football fix elsewhere, their interest might fade if the clubs fortunes fade, the Championship or L1 is not necessarily what they're after.. But for many over the last 18 months, their first experience of football, not just adults, might have hooked them to the Albion forever . We all start somewhere.

The facts are that we have an 8,000 waiting list, that will not change all the time we are in the premier league ( it may drop slightly) Therefore they will not ever get a ST all the time we are in the premier league. If we relegated then I would expect that to drop right off should we not be successful in fact I doubt we will have a waiting list. This is nothing to do with new fans it’s a simple fact that we are in the premier league and successful. I’m not complaining as we play to full stadiums ( or do we?) depending who we are playing. At the same time long standing fans and STH should get that extra bit of loyalty that comes with supporting the team. As it stands I’ve been told if I give up my ST I have to invest in a bronze membership to guarantee me match day tickets and pay £25 a year for that privilege. I can understand charging new fans, surely fans who have been with the club for a number of years and also with a purchase history should be upgraded for free let’s say after 2 years.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The facts are that we have an 8,000 waiting list, that will not change all the time we are in the premier league ( it may drop slightly) Therefore they will not ever get a ST all the time we are in the premier league. If we relegated then I would expect that to drop right off should we not be successful in fact I doubt we will have a waiting list. This is nothing to do with new fans it’s a simple fact that we are in the premier league and successful. I’m not complaining as we play to full stadiums ( or do we?) depending who we are playing. At the same time long standing fans and STH should get that extra bit of loyalty that comes with supporting the team. As it stands I’ve been told if I give up my ST I have to invest in a bronze membership to guarantee me match day tickets and pay £25 a year for that privilege. I can understand charging new fans, surely fans who have been with the club for a number of years and also with a purchase history should be upgraded for free let’s say after 2 years.

That waiting list will constantly turnover. Every season for whatever reason, you as an example, some fans will give up tickets and those on the list will get them and the others will move forward on the queue. The numbers will stay the same, but the list will become a conveyor belt.

I see what you're saying on membership, after being a ST holder say for 5 continuous years and you need to give it up, does that 5 years give you 1 free year of Bronze membership as an example so you can continue to get tickets? Doesn't seem unreasonable tbh. Perhaps something to put forward at a forum for consideration.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
You obviously haven’t been to every game. Palace for instance

Your point said we play to full stadiums "or do we???" by which i meant was some reference to pretendance at our league games or somesuch. Forgive me if thats not what you meant.

Yes i do recall Palace. Rather good wasn't it.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I see what you're saying on membership, after being a ST holder say for 5 continuous years and you need to give it up, does that 5 years give you 1 free year of Bronze membership as an example so you can continue to get tickets? Doesn't seem unreasonable tbh. Perhaps something to put forward at a forum for consideration.

I don’t see why anyone should have to pay to validate their purchase history. It’s just the club fleecing the fans. Getting the purchase history in the first place requires a financial commitment.

Also, a large number of those “on the waiting list” probably have no intention of ever getting a season ticket. Doesn’t having bronze membership automatically put you on the list? If so, I know several long term fans who have bronze membership who are never going to buy a season ticket as they can’t get to enough games due to work and other commitments.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Also, a large number of those “on the waiting list” probably have no intention of ever getting a season ticket. Doesn’t having bronze membership automatically put you on the list?

Nope, it's an extra option. Though do reckon a lot of people took out Bronze membership to be able to buy tickets and thought may as well put their names on the list whole they were doing it.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
That waiting list will constantly turnover. Every season for whatever reason, you as an example, some fans will give up tickets and those on the list will get them and the others will move forward on the queue. The numbers will stay the same, but the list will become a conveyor belt.

Exactly although if I was 8,000 on the list, I doubt I would get one while in this league. All the time we are in the premier league I suspect they only be a handful of STs will change hands. If we went down this year I would think that number would rise and that people would also drop off the waiting list, not by a huge amount, however the waiting list would drop massively the longer we stayed down. I’m still unsure if I will keep mine, I would get to more games if we went down.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Would be great if the club could help fans who want to watch the Albion but can't make all the matches because of the distances they have to travel. It's about becoming a bigger club and building a wider fan base.

kennyb

May 23, 2004
Bronze Membership i assume is only for this current season anyone any ideas when you will be able to buy BM for 2018-19 season

Jan 30, 2008
Not really interested in top 6 teams if we stay up next season. Just wanted to see how easy it is to get tickets before I cancel my ST for next season. More then happy with cup games and games against the teams around us, added to the tv games

welcome to the dark side :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here