Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A penalty from a Penalty

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Following on from Dunk's *Cough* excellent challenge on Charlie Adams after his penalty, pundits and players have claimed that Stoke could have been awarded a second penalty. Can anyone recall an incident where this has happened? I've been racking my brains but can't think of one.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Must admit I thought the ref could give a penalty but he obviously saw that Dunky got the ball. But he did go right through him.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If one looked at the games that Challis or Mike Dean have reffed, I bet we’d find one. Bound to.

I thought Dunk's challenge was a definite penalty but I wouldn't mind betting that, having given the original one which was very soft, the ref may well have (possibly subconsciously) decided to give us the benefit of the doubt with the second one.

I certainly made decisions like that back when I was a referee (although probably not in the penalty area)

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Must admit I thought the ref could give a penalty but he obviously saw that Dunky got the ball. But he did go right through him.

...which should be a penalty!

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I do remember seeing this happen on TV a couple of years ago, but I can't recall who was involved, so not much help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought Dunk's challenge was a definite penalty but I wouldn't mind betting that, having given the original one which was very soft, the ref may well have (possibly subconsciously) decided to give us the benefit of the doubt with the second one.

I certainly made decisions like that back when I was a referee (although probably not in the penalty area)
I can't see it being anything other than this.

As much as we can be annoyed by the antics of the Stoke fella to get the penalty.
His histrionics after the award probably gave the ref enough time to stew over that decision, and think 'you're not fooling me again'.

Anyway they really weren't deserving of what would have been a third attempt to score.
Adam's follow up is worthy of the cliche 'even I could have put that one away'.
They shouldn't have got another penalty just for being shite.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Found it - it was Hull against Fulham in Jan 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38789336

Haha...that 2nd one was NEVER a penalty. Lost the ball then dragged his feet.

Capture.JPG

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
MOTD reckoned that Dunk slid in, didn't get the ball with his feet, but dragged the ball over the back line with his arm.

Fortunately, the ref was the other side of the penalty area, so didn't see it.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
MOTD reckoned that Dunk slid in, didn't get the ball with his feet, but dragged the ball over the back line with his arm.

Fortunately, the ref was the other side of the penalty area, so didn't see it.

Looked like handball to me when I was at the game. I’ve not seen a clear enough replay to confirm this though.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Looked like handball to me when I was at the game. I’ve not seen a clear enough replay to confirm this though.

MOTD showed the ball hitting his hand, I don't think he made any connection with his foot with anything other than Charlie Adams. Was a clear penalty but considering how dodgy the initial decision against Stephens was for the first the ref quickly made up for his mistake.

el punal

I was at the game too, I must admit I didn't see the handball bit but I was certain that Dunk had cleaned the Stoke player out, as well as putting the ball out for a corner. For a couple of seconds I was waiting for the ref to blow up for another penalty but he didn't. Anyway, justice done, of sorts!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not a great advert for refereeing is it? Jese dives, ref gives a pen, Dunk wipes out Adam, ref doesn't give a pen. Still, had he not given the pen, Dunk wouldn't have had to make the tackle and it would still have been 1-1 so I guess it all evens out in the end.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not a great advert for refereeing is it? Jese dives, ref gives a pen, Dunk wipes out Adam, ref doesn't give a pen. Still, had he not given the pen, Dunk wouldn't have had to make the tackle and it would still have been 1-1 so I guess it all evens out in the end.

Not really.

'Even' would be for us to have taken the ball up the other end for a spot kick, then regardless of scoring/not scoring, have 2 free corners and 4 mins added on the end of the game. That's how many chances to score they were gifted out of absolutely nothing and how much time wasted for a potential winner for either side from open play.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Think Charlie Adam not falling flat on his face helped Dunk. I suspect Adam was so surprised by the tackle he simply forgot to fall over but benefit of the doubt and fair play to him. :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Still should've been a retake for encroachment anyway. But we deserved a bit of luck on that performance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here