Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A penalty from a Penalty

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not really.

'Even' would be for us to have taken the ball up the other end for a spot kick, then regardless of scoring/not scoring, have 2 free corners and 4 mins added on the end of the game. That's how many chances to score they were gifted out of absolutely nothing and how much time wasted for a potential winner for either side from open play.

I don't think us getting a free header at a corner is likely to a) happen or b) have any impact on the result. We're utterly woeful at corners.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still should've been a retake for encroachment anyway. But we deserved a bit of luck on that performance.

Was never a penalty anyway, so all a bit moot, in terms of "should've beens".

A loss would've been incredibly harsh given the overall performance.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think that one of the 4 Palace penalties on that crazy day at Selhurst was the result of players scrambling for the ball after it had just been saved

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Must admit I thought the ref could give a penalty but he obviously saw that Dunky got the ball. But he did go right through him.

Got the ball with his hand

Stoke player was encroaching as well.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Dunk clean got the ball. Let’s move on

Haha. I was stood (jumping up & down screaming) 10 metres away. Dunk cleanly took the ball from Adam with his knee & thigh, then guided the ball over the line with the inside of his forearm. We were expecting a second penalty. I’ll take what followed all day long. Had great fun telling Stoke fans on the way back to the car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The ref should have given another just for shits and giggle, to see jese and his team mates going full postal at each other.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think the whole penalty debacle can probably be summed up best as a comedy of errors, apart from Ryan's save of course which was magnificent - that last split second adjustment of the hand, incredible. But no Gary & Co, let's not talk about that amazing save, or that Barcelon-esque first goal, let's debate stroppy players, shit penalties and whether Lewis is a naughty but lucky boy or not (we all know he is of course).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still should've been a retake for encroachment anyway. But we deserved a bit of luck on that performance.

I noticed that too, but to be honest I’d guess 90% of pens have encroachment!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's technically correct, though I don't think that rule is applied very rigorously.

What also occurred to me, after seeing Dunk's wonder tackle from behind, is this. I know the players have to stand outside the penalty area when the kick is taken, but is there anything in the rules which says they can't stand next to the goal, but behind the goal line (roughly where the ball ended up)? - they would be in a much better position then to counter any follow-up.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's technically correct, though I don't think that rule is applied very rigorously.

What also occurred to me, after seeing Dunk's wonder tackle from behind, is this. I know the players have to stand outside the penalty area when the kick is taken, but is there anything in the rules which says they can't stand next to the goal, but behind the goal line (roughly where the ball ended up)? - they would be in a much better position then to counter any follow-up.

The players other than the kicker and goalkeeper must be:
at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the penalty mark
behind the penalty mark
inside the field of play
outside the penalty area
After the players have taken positions in accordance with this Law, the referee signals for the penalty kick to be taken.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The players other than the kicker and goalkeeper must be:
at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the penalty mark
behind the penalty mark
inside the field of play
outside the penalty area
After the players have taken positions in accordance with this Law, the referee signals for the penalty kick to be taken.
Oh well, just a thought! Thanks for clearing it up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

It isn't, because *usually* the penalty is scored, so it doesn't really matter.

However, in this instance, Dunk stopped a certain goal being scored on the rebound. No WAY would he have got there in time to do that, had he not encroached before the pen was struck. A rule is a rule, and had that gone against us up the other end, I'd have gone apeshit. You've got 2 officials standing there who are supposed to be watching out for that, and both failed (thankfully). Its not even in open play. Easy decision. Absolutely piss-poor officiating. Their rank incompetence saved us (albeit it shouldn't have been a pen in the first place).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The 'goal' shouldn't be allowed if it's the attacking team encroaching, shirley. I'm pretty sure there were Stoke bodies in the box on Saturday, as well as Brighton.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The 'goal' shouldn't be allowed if it's the attacking team encroaching, shirley. I'm pretty sure there were Stoke bodies in the box on Saturday, as well as Brighton.

There were indeed. And if an encroacher had stuck away the rebound, then no goal. But as an encroaching defender stopped a goal being scored, I think thats grounds for a retake.

Anyway, they ballsed it up. Thats the main thing :thumbsup:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

However, in this instance, Dunk stopped a certain goal being scored on the rebound. No WAY would he have got there in time to do that, had he not encroached before the pen was struck. A rule is a rule, and had that gone against us up the other end, I'd have gone apeshit. You've got 2 officials standing there who are supposed to be watching out for that, and both failed (thankfully). Its not even in open play. Easy decision. Absolutely piss-poor officiating. Their rank incompetence saved us (albeit it shouldn't have been a pen in the first place).

HAD that happened at the other end I would I hope I wouldnt have my blue and white tinted specs on and been more pissed off with players fighting over the taker of the kick and then thought oh well it shouldnt have been given in the first place. They werent entitled to one shot never mind more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here