Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockhaert goaline clearance

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hughton said on the radio, that that was Knockaert’s role at corners
Lucky the ball was a yard from the crossbar eh.

When we've managed to clear the ball following a corner, Knocky is good at running away with the ball to take the pressure off. I'd rather someone taller and less mobile on the goal-line.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lucky the ball was a yard from the crossbar eh.

When we've managed to clear the ball following a corner, Knocky is good at running away with the ball to take the pressure off. I'd rather someone taller and less mobile on the goal-line.

With Maty Ryan in goal, we don't need another tall player on the line.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Murray on goals on sunday said we had changed the way we defend corners. Not as tight man to man plus somebody on the line.
Good that they've tried to change things as we were leaking like a sieve.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ever the positive one, eh? :drink:

I am very positive hence I think it should have been done ages ago and that the turning point was probably the poor display at WBA. Like many on here I think that CH should rethink his strategy on not leaving a small quick man like Iziquierdo in the centre circle to drag back 2 of their players from our box.,

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Maybe he'd found Billy's Boots?
Thank you very much for prompting an enjoyable trip down Memory Lane aided by Wikipedia. :)

"The series concerned Billy Dane, a schoolboy and aspiring footballer, who was an extremely poor player until he discovered a pair of old style, ankle high, football boots while cleaning his grandmother's loft. The boots, which his grandfather had bought as a souvenir, had belonged, decades before, to a famous professional striker called Charles "Dead Shot" Keen. In a manner which was never explained in the story, the boots possess special abilities which turn Billy into a fantastic football player when he wore them. In addition to giving Billy the physical skill to score great goals, the boots also granted him the intuition to be in the right place at the time on the pitch, leading him to feel that they have a 'mind of their own'."

"However, despite the boots' obvious importance to him, he would repeatedly lose them or have them stolen." :lolol:

"In 1971, while playing for England in one such tour match in France, the boots split and Billy took them to a local shoe repairer's shop. When he went to collect them, the elderly owner told Billy that he recognised the boots as a pair he had made as a special order for Keen many years earlier. Billy asked him to make an identical pair, as a contingency against future damage or loss of the original boots. However, when Billy wore the new boots in his school's next match, they did not enable Billy to play in Keen's style, and he missed a penalty, so he had to revert to the original pair at half time with the consequent restoration of his abilities."

"Billy was often able to anticipate future events in his own life by reading Keen's book "The Life of Dead Shot Keen". Billy's life often mirrored Keen's, such as the time when he came on as a substitute in a school match with his team losing 0-7, and scored 8 goals himself to win the match"

"Keen was also a skilled cricketer, and Billy discovered a pair of his old cricket boots, which had similar beneficial effects on his performance on the cricket field during the summer months."

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It is at least equal equal to scoring a goal and might be worth more. He stood firm on the line for both corners as if it was destined for him to save the day. It reinforces always having a man on the line and Knockaert playing the hero in defense.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
View attachment 94096

A couple of inches can make all the difference :)

E3925A2B-064B-410D-B44B-FCFA986A4287.jpeg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thank you very much for prompting an enjoyable trip down Memory Lane aided by Wikipedia. :)

"The series concerned Billy Dane, a schoolboy and aspiring footballer, who was an extremely poor player until he discovered a pair of old style, ankle high, football boots while cleaning his grandmother's loft. The boots, which his grandfather had bought as a souvenir, had belonged, decades before, to a famous professional striker called Charles "Dead Shot" Keen. In a manner which was never explained in the story, the boots possess special abilities which turn Billy into a fantastic football player when he wore them. In addition to giving Billy the physical skill to score great goals, the boots also granted him the intuition to be in the right place at the time on the pitch, leading him to feel that they have a 'mind of their own'."

"However, despite the boots' obvious importance to him, he would repeatedly lose them or have them stolen." :lolol:

"In 1971, while playing for England in one such tour match in France, the boots split and Billy took them to a local shoe repairer's shop. When he went to collect them, the elderly owner told Billy that he recognised the boots as a pair he had made as a special order for Keen many years earlier. Billy asked him to make an identical pair, as a contingency against future damage or loss of the original boots. However, when Billy wore the new boots in his school's next match, they did not enable Billy to play in Keen's style, and he missed a penalty, so he had to revert to the original pair at half time with the consequent restoration of his abilities."

"Billy was often able to anticipate future events in his own life by reading Keen's book "The Life of Dead Shot Keen". Billy's life often mirrored Keen's, such as the time when he came on as a substitute in a school match with his team losing 0-7, and scored 8 goals himself to win the match"

"Keen was also a skilled cricketer, and Billy discovered a pair of his old cricket boots, which had similar beneficial effects on his performance on the cricket field during the summer months."

I couldn’t wait for Friday when I got my comics (Scorcher and Tiger - they later merged) from Montague Street in Worthing to see how Billy was going to get on. Bloody loved him.

I thought Roy of the Rovers was a posing w.an.ker though. Long haired git.

Bobby of the Blues (Everpool lol) could play a bit as well.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Ever the positive one, eh? :drink:

Fair point though you make adjustments in areas of play which arent working. This doesnt happen overnight

I always think when the opposition get a corner, this could be a goal. I never get that the opposite way round I just think meh, lets be careful with the counter attack

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I couldn’t wait for Friday when I got my comics (Scorcher and Tiger - they later merged) from Montague Street in Worthing to see how Billy was going to get on. Bloody loved him.

I thought Roy of the Rovers was a posing w.an.ker though. Long haired git.

Bobby of the Blues (Everpool lol) could play a bit as well.

Dont diss Roy of the Rovers have you not watched him playing Ken in Street Fighter 2? He'll dragon punch your lights our

el punal

Fair point though you make adjustments in areas of play which arent working. This doesnt happen overnight

I always think when the opposition get a corner, this could be a goal. I never get that the opposite way round I just think meh, lets be careful with the counter attack

I must admit, having watched the last two games (West Ham/Stoke), we seem to be a lot more positive in all areas of the pitch. Whether this a confidence thing or a fundamental change in tactics or both I couldn't say. It's just a shame that in two other recent away games that I've been at, Newcastle and Southampton, we remained too cautious when we were well on top. Had we adopted the same approach as the last two matches we might well have ended up with maximum points.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Knockaert was the perfect height for that clearance - if had been one of the tall defenders, the ball could have dropped for a striker after being headed or chested of down. Awesome planning by CH !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here