Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Where you at this concert?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We hadn't moved down here yet, but did you attend this concert at the Dome in 1972?

IMG_0183.JPG

There is a rumour about that someone has found old recordings of bands at the Dome and us trying to get the permission to release them.

Trouble is a lot of them include artists who are no longer with us.

Earliest one I remember is Supertramp back in the middle seventies.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes. I was at The Dome.

did you see them afterwards? I only saw them at Earl's Court in the Pulse Tour. I wish I would have seen them without all the light show ad just them in the raw.

The older I get, the more I have stepped away from the light shows etc, and gone to gigs where it is just the artist and a backing band...no gimmicks, just them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If NMH still posted on here I think he could tell you all about it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
did you see them afterwards? I only saw them at Earl's Court in the Pulse Tour. I wish I would have seen them without all the light show ad just them in the raw.

The older I get, the more I have stepped away from the light shows etc, and gone to gigs where it is just the artist and a backing band...no gimmicks, just them.

I saw them at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury just after the release of Saucerful of Secrets and a short while after Syd Barrett was sacked. My first concert and enough dope being smoked to stone the audience. It was a real eye opener to this 16 year old. There was a light show of sorts but very basic and the only prop I remember seeing was a massive Gong (in J Arthur Rank style)

Sorry wallowing in Nosatlgia there, no I wasn’t at the Dome. Was this around the time of Dark Side of the Moon?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I was there (unless they also toured in 1971?). Was this the gig when Gilmore slammed his guitar down and stormed off after 15 mins of noisy feedback? After the roadies sorted it they returned to stage and played a great concert.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Was this around the time of Dark Side of the Moon?

Would have been after Meddle. They went into the studio to record DSOTM a few months after that tour ended. Released it in '73.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We hadn't moved down here yet, but did you attend this concert at the Dome in 1972?

View attachment 94091

There is a rumour about that someone has found old recordings of bands at the Dome and us trying to get the permission to release them.

Trouble is a lot of them include artists who are no longer with us.

Earliest one I remember is Supertramp back in the middle seventies.

A tad too early for me. I was at Supertramp though (Dome). And genesis (70p), family, skynyrd, procul harem, groundhogs, trower, wishbone ash, doctors of madness, hall and oats....still have all the ticket stubs :rock:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I saw them at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury just after the release of Saucerful of Secrets and a short while after Syd Barrett was sacked. My first concert and enough dope being smoked to stone the audience. It was a real eye opener to this 16 year old. There was a light show of sorts but very basic and the only prop I remember seeing was a massive Gong (in J Arthur Rank style)

Sorry wallowing in Nosatlgia there, no I wasn’t at the Dome. Was this around the time of Dark Side of the Moon?

Dark side of the moon' was written in 1973. Atom Heart Mother 1970, Meddle 1971. When I saw Floyd at the Dome they were playing the latter 2 albums so I'm guessing it was either the 1972 tour (as this thread) or maybe 1971?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I saw them at Earls Court, in 80/81ish, the first Wall concerts, unlike any concerts I have been to before or since.
They built a 35-40 foot wall across the stage, during the show, then pulled it down for the finale, crashing Stukas, 25foot high puppets, absolutely mad.

The music was a bit special though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A tad too early for me. I was at Supertramp though (Dome). And genesis (70p), family, skynyrd, procul harem, groundhogs, trower, wishbone ash, doctors of madness, hall and oats....still have all the ticket stubs :rock:

I am sure now You are me!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

Genesis was @ Brighton Centre? Peter Gabriel @ Hove town hall a few weeks later.....then Gary Glitter and the Glitter band at Hove town hall,,,,,,,,,gulp!!!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
The Brighton show was the first attempt at a public performance of The Dark Side of the Moon - albeit the equipment packed up as Money was starting so they had to scrap the rest of it. To make up for it, they came back for a pair of shows in June 72.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham

I'm no fan and came to the conclusion that most of their stuff is a pretentious load of crap. Apparently The Dome concert was their first ever live performance of 'Dark side of the moon'. I never saw them live again. I saw Gilmour when he played at The Brighton Centre about 18 months ago. Some of the recent material was unmitigated rubbish. "fat old sun' and 'Comfortably numb' were worth the admission price alone. I wish they'd done Alan's psychedelic breakfast'.................

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Genesis was @ Brighton Centre? Peter Gabriel @ Hove town hall a few weeks later.....then Gary Glitter and the Glitter band at Hove town hall,,,,,,,,,gulp!!!

Hi Andy. The ones I listed were all at the Dome. I saw Genesis there twice. Never seen Gabriel as a solo.

Or Glitter....I mean, come on!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I saw them at the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury just after the release of Saucerful of Secrets and a short while after Syd Barrett was sacked. My first concert and enough dope being smoked to stone the audience. It was a real eye opener to this 16 year old. There was a light show of sorts but very basic and the only prop I remember seeing was a massive Gong (in J Arthur Rank style).
I think I can trump that. I saw them about 69-70 in Liverpool, at the Students' Union. This was in the days when the event were still notionally a dance, and one or two local bands would be hired to open the show before the big act came on.
Well the local bands came on and played, then there was a long pause - and the crowd was getting restless! Then Roger Waters appeared on the stage and apologised that the transport conveying all their gear had broken down on the M6, and there was no chance of getting their gear there tonight. But.....he went on to say, we've had a word with the two bands that were playing earlier, and they've agreed to let us use their gear - we're just sorting out the best bits of it now.
So - eventually - the Floyd took to the stage with a bog standard drum kit (not miked up), a Marshall (or similar) 100W amp and a 4X4 speaker for each of the other three, and two 4X4 columns for the PA - no mixing desk or anything fancy!
They then more or less ripped through the first two albums. Brilliantly!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm no fan and came to the conclusion that most of their stuff is a pretentious load of crap. Apparently The Dome concert was their first ever live performance of 'Dark side of the moon'. I never saw them live again. I saw Gilmour when he played at The Brighton Centre about 18 months ago. Some of the recent material was unmitigated rubbish. "fat old sun' and 'Comfortably numb' were worth the admission price alone. I wish they'd done Alan's psychedelic breakfast'.................

I sort of agree. I really like Obscured by Clouds, and quite like other earlier stuff, but I much prefer (of that era and genre) the Canterbury sound (Hatfields, Caravan, Soft Machine, Matching Mole). They were less pompous. I still see Caravan's roadie around town (Maurice?), but they have never been the same since Richard the drummr died (R.I.P.). He ran a pub in town. Cheers, you (obviously) old ******* :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here