Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Oxfam sex abuse scandal

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I know someone who worked for a commercial company in the DC Congo for many years and she despised the NGOs. This story would match some of those she had.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed, but in today's climate ,it comes as no surprise.
As for me, I am just interested to hear what those who were so vocal about the relatively tame President's Club scandal, thought about this latest 'outrage'.
So far, not much response....hmmm?
Bleedin' obvious, innit.

What went on at the President's Club was not acceptable, but the most vociferous outrage clearly came from the most liberal, progressive, modern thinking people. Absolutely furious they were, at such abuse of women. But, their response (or lack of huge amounts of outrage) to this sorry state of affairs suggests that perhaps they were not quite as liberal, progressive and modern thinking as they liked to tell everyone else that they claimed to be ............ after all, the Haitian prostitutes were probably not, how shall we put it? - quite as white as the abused waitresses at the President's Club. Just a thought.............

.....and while I'm on a mission to induce apoplexy, I'll leave you with this thought. Couldn't the disgraced aid workers have made a case that they were bolstering the local economy at a time when the local economy probably needed all the bolstering it could get?

Goodnight, and happy frothing at the mouth.................!

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I know someone who worked for a commercial company in the DC Congo for many years and she despised the NGOs. This story would match some of those she had.

Quite, I know someone who worked as an auditor for a major charity for over 10 years; back when Bosnia was recovering from its war he went out there regular and confessed how all the charities were effectively paying off local criminal gangs for “protection”. It was well known but this kind of conduct wouldn’t go down well in the Notting Hill High St so it was hushed up.......sound familiar?

Still all for a good cause eh.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Bleedin' obvious, innit.

What went on at the President's Club was not acceptable, but the most vociferous outrage clearly came from the most liberal, progressive, modern thinking people. Absolutely furious they were, at such abuse of women. But, their response (or lack of huge amounts of outrage) to this sorry state of affairs suggests that perhaps they were not quite as liberal, progressive and modern thinking as they liked to tell everyone else that they claimed to be ............ after all, the Haitian prostitutes were probably not, how shall we put it? - quite as white as the abused waitresses at the President's Club. Just a thought.............

.....and while I'm on a mission to induce apoplexy, I'll leave you with this thought. Couldn't the disgraced aid workers have made a case that they were bolstering the local economy at a time when the local economy probably needed all the bolstering it could get?

Don't forget the 'but its the girls careers/choice to work as prostitutes and it would be unfair to deprive them of customers" that is sadly missing from the moral high ground that is this thread.

Go Blue Team!! yay!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't forget the 'but its the girls careers/choice to work as prostitutes and it would be unfair to deprive them of customers" that is sadly missing from the moral high ground that is this thread.

Go Blue Team!! yay!
Girls' choice? Wouldn't argue with that!

Sadly, no apoplexy yet ........... give it time.........

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Girls' choice? Wouldn't argue with that!

Sadly, no apoplexy yet ........... give it time.........

I don't think you will get much apoplexy as this thread is a pretty obvious attempt at trolling and stoking up divisive political red v blue nonsense. The opportunity of having a crack at the red team has of course been leapt upon by the blue team but there is very little discussion about the actual issue.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Bleedin' obvious, innit.

The people involved here were supposed to be there to help some of the most vulnerable people in the world, in a disaster zone, and they exploited their vulnerability for sex. I don't really see the comparison with the President's Club, apart from the fact that there was no question of any sex or prostitution taking place, the people at the Presidents Club were not there on the pretense of helping the women who were there, and the women weren't vulnerable and in desperate need.

The people who were outraged about the Presidents Club are not less outraged about this because the women are Haitian, they are less outraged about this because the men involved aren't wealthy or powerful enough.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I volunteered to help out at the orphanages in Romania back in the 80's, after the collapse of the regime there.
I did 2 x tours of 3 months over an 18 month period and saw nothing at all that would relate to this kind of behaviour.
Maybe it developed since then, I don't say that it isn't happening, but it does sour things rather.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Unless I have missed something, I am surprised that there has been no thread on the charity sex scandal involving 120 aid workers from Britain being accused of sexual abuse in the last year.
Additionally the revelations that Oxfam workers paid locals for taking part in organised sex parties in Haiti is surely worth a comment or two from the worthies of NSC, especially after all the moral judgements made against the 'President's Club' nasty rich men for touching up and trying to kiss scantily clad hostesses.
Just goes to show, those wonderfully moral high ground charity workers are just as bad, or even worse than the 'over privileged nobs'.
Come on you Lefties, rise up in anger and have a pop at the do gooders doing bad, or stand ready to be accused of hypocrisy!:)???

Bleedin' obvious, innit.

Wow. Well the question here really isn't Why aren't the do gooders getting outraged about this, because, clearly most normal people are.

No, the question is, why on earth do people like yourself use stories like this to push their opinions on the rest of us on NSC? Er, the president's club thread your brought up? That thread was started on here specifically to mock the SNOWFLAKES as it was put in the very thread title. So, just like this thread.

These threads are always started by people like yourselves. The constantly outraged can't say what we like anymore brigade. I wonder how many of the serial moaners on here have had any direct experience of the things they continuously complain about. Close to bugger all I reckon.

but the most vociferous outrage clearly came from the most liberal, progressive, modern thinking people. Absolutely furious they were, at such abuse of women. But, their response (or lack of huge amounts of outrage) to this sorry state of affairs suggests that perhaps they were not quite as liberal, progressive and modern thinking as they liked to tell everyone else

Who are these people you talk of. And how are you quantifying 'their' response to this story. By what you read on NSC? It's front page news where I've looked.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Wow. Well the question here really isn't Why aren't the do gooders getting outraged about this, because, clearly most normal people are.

No, the question is, why on earth do people like yourself use stories like this to push their opinions on the rest of us on NSC? Er, the president's club thread your brought up? That thread was started on here specifically to mock the SNOWFLAKES as it was put in the very thread title. So, just like this thread.

These threads are always started by people like yourselves. The constantly outraged can't say what we like anymore brigade. I wonder how many of the serial moaners on here have had any direct experience of the things they continuously complain about. Close to bugger all I reckon.

Who are these people you talk of. And how are you quantifying 'their' response to this story. By what you read on NSC? It's front page news where I've looked.

Wow Klaas, calm down.
I don't quite get the point/s you are making, but anyway, if you don't like opinions, it may be better for you not to visit forums. After all, they are all about opinions, whether they be about team selection ,tactics, politics, where best to go on holiday etc.
It is what makes a forum!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
We do seem to have some very strange, self important, people on NSC, who spend a lot of time and effort typing out their weird propaganda. This thread has been useful for the old Ignore list, at least.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I find this disappointibg more than outrageous. This is in many ways much worse than the presidents' club (which i also thought was disappointing) as its more exploitative.

However the post earlier by [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] is really telling about differences between Oxfam and save the children. I read it after seeing the interview given by the ceo of save the children on BBC breakfast this morning. It was a polar opposite of the one given over the weekend by the oxfam head.

He gave clear open honest answers. He didnt sugar coat his own organisation and was honest about processes and failings as well as clear on challenges that charities face from predatory individuals.

Given what [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] wrote you can see that the heads and organisations clearly reflect each others culture.

My worry here is much like chugging that oxfam had fostered and in many ways created that industry and have negatively harmed many charities, that this doesnt fuel an ideological backlash against NGOs

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You shouldn’t be, before his wife was an MP he stood down from a senior role in a well known charity after a number of allegations about his conduct. This was reported at the time but he was not a well known commentator for progressive values and politics.

In the aftermath of his wife’s tragic murder, it would have been a brave media outlet that would have highlighted his previous turgid back story.....and how that played out in his relationship.

But time is a great healer.....if you want to get on the podium, its only fair that the public know if you are (for example) a pathological sex pest.

No, I hadn't heard about this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow Klaas, calm down.
I don't quite get the point/s you are making, but anyway, if you don't like opinions, it may be better for you not to visit forums. After all, they are all about opinions, whether they be about team selection ,tactics, politics, where best to go on holiday etc.
It is what makes a forum!

I totally get the point [MENTION=36111]Klaas[/MENTION] is trying to make.

D

Deleted member 22389

The only people I give to are the RNLI, or if someone posts here asking for help. Think it's disgraceful what's gone on here with Oxfam. Really don't like what goes on generally with these large charities anyway and they way they operate asking for direct debits.

D

Deleted member 22389

Charity fundraising is a business where plenty of people are living comfortably through it. I met someone who set up his own charity street fundraising 'company'. He was all about getting rich. The managers are earning above the national average and yet they are relying on the public to donate money.

Why can't these people set up a business which makes money where they can put a percentage of their profits towards a good cause rather than have 'minions' stand in the street begging for sign ups?

This Oxfam scandal is just an example as to what the charity sector has turned into. A joke.

I agree. It's not Charity in my book when people start making a living out of it. That's how I feel about it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What's left wing about charity? A very confusing post tbf.

If you didn't know that corruption and profit were prevalent in the charity game then you've clearly lead a sheltered life.

And not read The Constant Gardener.

I did not say that 'charity is left wing'; however, it has become clear that many of the bigger charities have, in recent years, become more political and critical of capitalism and the Tory Government. I don't think, they themselves would dispute that.
A sheltered life? No, not at all. I am almost 70, now retired,but worked in an industry well known for coming into contact with all kinds of people, have been married twice and have three children............Anyway, I have followed the Albion for about 56 years, so how can I have possibly led a sheltered life?:lolol:???
Finally, I haven't read the Constant Gardener, but may well do so.!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really don't like what goes on generally with these large charities anyway and they way they operate asking for direct debits.

Fair enough. I don’t have an issue with charities asking for direct debits, makes my life easier.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Wow. That's how you addres the issue of sexual abuse? As a vehicle for your hatred of "the left". What a sorrry, sorry state of affairs. Shame on you.

Clamp, get off your high horse, I am not attempting to address the issue of sexual abuse,as such. I merely wanted to hear what the likes of you make of the revelations.
By the way, I don't hate the left. I do, however, dislike extreme politics from the hard right or hard left.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here