Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Oxfam sex abuse scandal

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It gives a whole new perspective to the goat my sister got me for Xmas. See you later boys.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Wow. Well the question here really isn't Why aren't the do gooders getting outraged about this, because, clearly most normal people are.

No, the question is, why on earth do people like yourself use stories like this to push their opinions on the rest of us on NSC? Er, the president's club thread your brought up? That thread was started on here specifically to mock the SNOWFLAKES as it was put in the very thread title. So, just like this thread.

These threads are always started by people like yourselves. The constantly outraged can't say what we like anymore brigade. I wonder how many of the serial moaners on here have had any direct experience of the things they continuously complain about. Close to bugger all I reckon.

Who are these people you talk of. And how are you quantifying 'their' response to this story. By what you read on NSC? It's front page news where I've looked.

Quite.

If we had people on here not seeing what the issue is, saying at least it gives these women a job in difficult circumstances and things have always been this way so there clearly isn’t an issue, then we would also be seeing people of the left condemning those people and opinions.

As it is everyone agrees that this is wrong.

What a bizarre post by the OP.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A sad case indeed, and totally unacceptable. An abuse of power and trust.

I’m wondering why these cases from 2006 and 2011 are emerging now. Also, the director and staff have been fired, some as long as 4 years ago, for these offences.

Either way, anyone who abuses their position should be held to account. Good to see that the individuals have at least seen that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wow. Well the question here really isn't Why aren't the do gooders getting outraged about this, because, clearly most normal people are.

No, the question is, why on earth do people like yourself use stories like this to push their opinions on the rest of us on NSC? Er, the president's club thread your brought up? That thread was started on here specifically to mock the SNOWFLAKES as it was put in the very thread title. So, just like this thread.

These threads are always started by people like yourselves. The constantly outraged can't say what we like anymore brigade. I wonder how many of the serial moaners on here have had any direct experience of the things they continuously complain about. Close to bugger all I reckon.

Who are these people you talk of. And how are you quantifying 'their' response to this story. By what you read on NSC? It's front page news where I've looked.
Quite, it really is telling of the agendas of many posters on this thread. Points scoring devisive politicking of the lowest order.

I do find it quite amusing that they seem not to be able to tell the difference between the two threads. None so blind and those that won't see and all that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Quite.

If we had people on here not seeing what the issue is, saying at least it gives these women a job in difficult circumstances and things have always been this way so there clearly isn’t an issue, then we would also be seeing people of the left condemning those people and opinions.

As it is everyone agrees that this is wrong.

What a bizarre post by the OP.
Exactly

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Quite, it really is telling of the agendas of many posters on this thread. Points scoring devisive politicking of the lowest order.

I do find it quite amusing that they seem not to be able to tell the difference between the two threads. None so blind and those that won't see and all that.

Yep. The OP particularly should be utterly ashamed of himself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course, let’s borrow more money.........were only servicing a couple of trillion or there-a-bouts.

I mean it, let the political parties who want to borrow billions to spend in countries like China, India, Pakistan et al justify it, don’t hide behind UN Rules. We can have exercise our vote in the next election.

Not for the first time a post of yours has completely baffled me. When did I advocate borrowing money? What has spending money in China (???) got to do with overseas aid?

Rather than get into another pointless and psychedelic rigmarole, I will cut to the chase and say that handing over money to a charity, whether it be out of my pocket voluntarily, or skimmed off my tax (on the radio it said the government gives money to Oxfam which surprised me) is something that has always been done with a presumption of trust. That trust has gone. I am appalled by what is being said on the radio this morning. And yet....it doesn't surprise me....

I have a feeling that 'we' have treated charities as if they are people doing all the good things that individuals and governments don't have the time or money to do, and are therefore good by definition. The idea of governments handing over money (taken from us by tax) to charities actually now seems perverse to me. Especially as we are now seeing there is inadequate safeguarding (modern parlance for no checks, no audits, not assessment of where the money is going let alone whether it is providing value).

Yet on the radio someone just summarized the emotional blackmail: "if you stop giving money you are killing babies". Emotive stuff....

Still having a think about it, but sufficie to say the quote above to which this is a reply is a load of drivelling irrelevant absurd nonsense. Sorry, but it is.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This thread is a disgrace. The only thing the usual right wing suspects are discussing is the left's perceived lack of outrage, the actual topic has been ignored and a very important issue is being used for point scoring. Disgraceful. Disgusting thread which is best left to rot.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Clamp, get off your high horse, I am not attempting to address the issue of sexual abuse,as such. I merely wanted to hear what the likes of you make of the revelations.
By the way, I don't hate the left. I do, however, dislike extreme politics from the hard right or hard left.

I think it's pretty obvious what you are attempting to address. Vile.

D

Deleted member 22389

Fair enough. I don’t have an issue with charities asking for direct debits, makes my life easier.

It was a few years back now, charity knocked on the door. I said I can't do Direct Debit right now, but if you have a website I'm more than happy to do a donation online. Bloke got in a huff, stormed off muttering "suit yourself". After that I thought bollox to it. Bad experience, it's why I won't do Direct Debit now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was a few years back now, charity knocked on the door. I said I can't do Direct Debit right now, but if you have a website I'm more than happy to do a donation online. Bloke got in a huff, stormed off muttering "suit yourself". After that I thought bollox to it. Bad experience, it's why I won't do Direct Debit now.

I once got honeytrapped into donating to Greenpeace. It was many many years ago but a rather lovely student called Stella knocked on my door. Paid me a lot attention, came into flat, showered my record and CD collection with praise and compliments. Once the direct debit was set up she went cold and buggered off.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This thread is a disgrace. The only thing the usual right wing suspects are discussing is the left's perceived lack of outrage, the actual topic has been ignored and a very important issue is being used for point scoring. Disgraceful. Disgusting thread which is best left to rot.

Way over the top response, Clamp and others.
Blimey, it was never meant to be 'disgusting and vile' and quite frankly I've seen and read far worse.
I'd better go and put the sackcloth and ashes on ,having been castigated by my favourite posters, Clamp,Badfish, MBH, LJCOOL, etc.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not only is Oxfam's reputation in tatters and young women exploited but the government funding is likely to be pulled, meaning that because of the usual story of men in positions of trust and power not being able to resist their basest urges, the most vulnerable in this world suffer. So depressingly normal.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Blimey, it was never meant to be 'disgusting and vile' and quite frankly I've seen and read far worse.
I'd better go and put the sackcloth and ashes on ,having been castigated by my favourite posters, Clamp,Badfish, MBH, LJCOOL, etc.

The sad thing isn't you probably didn't "mean it", it just comes to you as second nature.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You asked for our opinion, don't start whining because you got it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You asked for our opinion, don't start whining because you got it.

I'm not whining Badfish, just expressing a degree of surprise at the wording of a few responses.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Bloody hell. That's shocking. All the huff and puff about overseas aid and the EU budget bleeding the hard earned cash out of 'hard working men and women' - all utter bollocks. :facepalm:

The six million quid JRM's wife took to do up her house, wouldn't even figure on this chart, doesn't mean it doesn't stick in my craw in an age of austerity.

Oxfam - pays its top executives very handsomely indeed. The organisation provides a vast and complex range of services, on behalf of the poor and vulnerable. Like any other organisation, that takes public money, we have a right to expect good governance and effective leadership. On so many occasions people are quick to say heads must roll, strangely when it is this clear cut, everyone seems to be looking to pick fights in all sorts of strange directions.

My plea to the good folk of NSC, don't let stuff like this put you off charitable giving, don't be swayed by some of the bile spilled on this thread, just do your research pick things that matter to you and well run charities and support them with what you can in terms of your time and or your money.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whilst absolutely abhorrent, this actually happened in 2012. It is being reported now because Jacob Rees Mogg is calling for foreign aid to be reduced.

A billionaire advocating taking money from the world's poorest.
Recent net worth reported as £45m, a long way from a billion. Not that it matters, he's not calling for his own money to not go to the poor, he's calling for the amount of the country's money being spent to be reduced, so him having lots of money isn't particularly relevant.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here