Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Oxfam sex abuse scandal

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Unless I have missed something, I am surprised that there has been no thread on the charity sex scandal involving 120 aid workers from Britain being accused of sexual abuse in the last year.
Additionally the revelations that Oxfam workers paid locals for taking part in organised sex parties in Haiti is surely worth a comment or two from the worthies of NSC, especially after all the moral judgements made against the 'President's Club' nasty rich men for touching up and trying to kiss scantily clad hostesses.
Just goes to show, those wonderfully moral high ground charity workers are just as bad, or even worse than the 'over privileged nobs'.
Come on you Lefties, rise up in anger and have a pop at the do gooders doing bad, or stand ready to be accused of hypocrisy!:)???

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
I wish I could say that I find this hard to believe but I don't.
I did some work for a charity fundraising firm a few years ago when there was a lot of negative press in that sector.

The practices being used were disgusting but I will never forget the reaction from Oxfam in particular who claimed they had no idea what was going on and threw the firm under the bus and withdrew all work. I know for a fact that the mandate came from Oxfam to harass and hound people for money and that they had access to all call recordings from the call centre and should have been able to identify any wrong doing had they done any auditing.

The whole experience soured me on charities and nothing shocks me. I now refuse to donate money and only offer my time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I read that they were using prostitutes. Is that illegal in Haiti? Can people not use the services if prostitutes or is there something more sinister in these revelations?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I read that they were using prostitutes. Is that illegal in Haiti? Can people not use the services if prostitutes or is there something more sinister in these revelations?

Publius, have a look at the news coverage online or in some of the papers.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Charity fundraising is a business where plenty of people are living comfortably through it. I met someone who set up his own charity street fundraising 'company'. He was all about getting rich. The managers are earning above the national average and yet they are relying on the public to donate money.

Why can't these people set up a business which makes money where they can put a percentage of their profits towards a good cause rather than have 'minions' stand in the street begging for sign ups?

This Oxfam scandal is just an example as to what the charity sector has turned into. A joke.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A sad indictment of our society that these cases are often exploited to advance a particular political agenda.

Indeed, but in today's climate ,it comes as no surprise.
As for me, I am just interested to hear what those who were so vocal about the relatively tame President's Club scandal, thought about this latest 'outrage'.
So far, not much response....hmmm?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Publius, have a look at the news coverage online or in some of the papers.

I will certainly do so.

Wasn't there a scandal around save the children and funding of terrorists back in the 80's.

This is actually appalling if they lied about what they were doing.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I wish I'd been there

I doubt that, the age of consent in Haiti is 18, and the more serious aspects of these allegations refer to some of the prostitutes involved as being “minors”.

I may of course be wrong and maybe you do like to play your cricket on a grass less wicket.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Indeed, but in today's climate ,it comes as no surprise.
As for me, I am just interested to hear what those who were so vocal about the relatively tame President's Club scandal, thought about this latest 'outrage'.
So far, not much response....hmmm?

As there is about the antics of a widower of a recently murdered MP.

The paper reporting the tawdry affair was not even included in the BBC’s press review.........go figure?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
As there is about the antics of a widower of a recently murdered MP.

The paper reporting the tawdry affair was not even included in the BBC’s press review.........go figure?

Yes, I saw that.
Must admit, I was rather surprised by these revelations.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I doubt that, the age of consent in Haiti is 18, and the more serious aspects of these allegations refer to some of the prostitutes involved as being “minors”.

I may of course be wrong and maybe you do like to play your cricket on a grass less wicket.

In which case. No!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Really? A world-leading charity that is very high profile in accusing the West of exploiting poor countries has executives that exploit sex workers from those poor countries. Is that not sinister enough?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Yes, I saw that.
Must admit, I was rather surprised by these revelations.

You shouldn’t be, before his wife was an MP he stood down from a senior role in a well known charity after a number of allegations about his conduct. This was reported at the time but he was not a well known commentator for progressive values and politics.

In the aftermath of his wife’s tragic murder, it would have been a brave media outlet that would have highlighted his previous turgid back story.....and how that played out in his relationship.

But time is a great healer.....if you want to get on the podium, its only fair that the public know if you are (for example) a pathological sex pest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here