Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Difficulty of run-in

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Easiest to most difficult, ordered by the average current points of the sides to be faced...

1 Leicester City 31.364
2 Liverpool 31.833
3 Burnley 32.182
4 Tottenham Hotspur 33.364
5 Everton 34.000
6 Bournemouth 34.083
7 Arsenal 35.182
8 Swansea City 36.000
9 Manchester City 36.091
10 Manchester United 36.333
11 Watford 36.455
12 Crystal Palace 36.545
13 Huddersfield Town 36.750
14 West Bromwich Albion 37.000
15 Chelsea 37.167
16 Newcastle United 37.833
17 Southampton 38.417
18 Stoke City 39.545
19 West Ham United 41.545
20 Brighton & Hove Albion 41.727

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Eek.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The Swansea game is quite big.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Comforting thing being a lot of our relegation rivals are nearing the lower end of the table too.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Distorted if you have man city left to play!

Looks like it will be WBA, stoke and us based on that.

Need six points v Swansea and arsenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Doesn't factor in that we will hopefully be playing weakened versions of the top teams if they have other priorities by the time we face them.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Well that's pretty grim.
However, we are no longer operating as a team of mere mortals and are not subject to numerical analysis.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Interesting but (hopefully) relatively meaningless.

I'm hopeful that our last three games will yield more points than expected.
The relative importance those games to us over the opposition may be to our advantage.
Those games are an average of 48 points per club at the moment.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not too sure a few points difference on that scale will actually count towards too many different results, and I reckon the 'On the beach' and 'Rest players for the Champions League' are much bigger factors.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Doesn't factor in that we will hopefully be playing weakened versions of the top teams if they have other priorities by the time we face them.

Exactly. Arsenal could by totally focussed on winning the Europa like MU were last season. MU could come to us with top 3 pretty much guaranteed and a Champions League 2nd leg semi 3 or 4 days before they come to us. Man City might be the same, not to mention FA Cup involvement. We've not picked up points against the top 6 yet, but we're due a bit of luck I fancy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not too sure about that. Would sooner collect against sides nearer to us in both position and standard.

Well clearly I'm not for a second suggesting we shouldn't be going all out for a win, and it is the desired result, what I am saying is that if Swansea put in a stand out performance and we draw for example, I wouldn't be someone with my head dropped thinking that its all over - which a 'must-win' suggests. 29 pts with 10 to play will still give us a good fighting chance. A defeat would obviously be a huge blow, not just Swansea jumping above us, the blow to our confidence, however I wouldn't be crying in my Harvey's with a draw.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its a talking point but flawed. Both Burnley and Watford are on the slide but obviously acquired points in the first half if the season.

Also the average would need to be broken down between home and away points as this can greatly change the possibility of getting points.

All we can do currently is focus on getting a home win against Swansea and look to continue the cup run

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Well clearly I'm not for a second suggesting we shouldn't be going all out for a win, and it is the desired result, what I am saying is that if Swansea put in a stand out performance and we draw for example, I wouldn't be someone with my head dropped thinking that its all over - which a 'must-win' suggests. 29 pts with 10 to play will still give us a good fighting chance. A defeat would obviously be a huge blow, not just Swansea jumping above us, the blow to our confidence, however I wouldn't be crying in my Harvey's with a draw.

We'll see. Personally I believe if we don't secure enough points in the matches v Swansea, 'Udders, Leics, Burnley and Palace we might struggle. Time will tell of course.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We need 9 points. 37 will be enough with a superior goal difference. Swansea, Huddesrfield and Leicester at Home. Palace, Burnley, Everton away all offer genuine points oppertunities. And if we adopt a positive attitude towards Arsenal. And don't just stand off them and watch them play. They can be turned over as well. We will stay up as long ad we maintain a more positive approach.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Swap City away for another away game that we'd be very unlikely to win (e.g. Leicester) and we move into the middle range.

The extra three points we have in the bank and our improved form are much more significant factors.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Swansea have had the new manager bounce effect. FA Cup break has come at the perfect time. With that as our next fixture. They will level out. 1 nil win against a Burnley side, who haven't won in 10 games.. Will will turn Swansea and Huddersfield over. Then we just need 3 more points from somewhere.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here