Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Stephens

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a big fan of Stephens. But I do agree with @Arkwright here - Stephens seems to give away free kicks when he tackles players from behind as they're running away from him inside his half despite there being plenty of players left for them to get past. But, no, I don't have any stats either, it's just that you think 'oh no, another free-kick in a place where they can launch a high ball', and it seems to often be Stephens (but then it would be, because that's his position on the pitch). But, he hasn't done it for a while.
    He's a physical and niggly player, if he does have the most fouls (I haven't checked this but not uncommon for a CM) then he also has the most interceptions and tackles. There are some world class players in this league who will make him and the rest of our players look ordinary at times. Is it best that Stephens gives away a free kick or that he just lets them ghost past him (as is common with Propper)?

The reason myself and a few others leap to his defence repeatedly is not necessarily because of opinions on this forum, but fan opinion on the whole. I go to all home and most away games and generally the player is not well regarded for some mystifying reason (not a flair player, him wanting away.. who knows) when in my opinion he is in the running for PoS, albeit is some way behind Dunk. We've had a few quality players in the past (I'm sure I don't need to mention) who weren't rated and this smacks of the same thing. Short of dooming us to relegation by wanting him to get injured, there seems little other way to convince some of our fans to value him. Anybody who thinks Kayal can step in and do what he does is dreaming, we would be utterly ****ed until Sidwell is back and match fit.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Gave away a penalty and failed to win the cross which Knocky cleared off the line. If it had been Gaeton he would have been slated.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by SeagullDubai View Post
      Gave away a penalty and failed to win the cross which Knocky cleared off the line. If it had been Gaeton he would have been slated.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk
      What was the question - remind me, its been so long
      You know I'm right
      Fest avoider

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kneon Light View Post
      Woman next to me was slagging off Stephens all game - shouting at Hughton for not subbing him and constantly saying how he is useless.
      Seemed to hate Propper too as she wanted them both subbed off!
      I had to read that twice...
      I do not have a professional working knowledge of cricket.

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Seagull View Post
      The guy is an absolutely fantastic footballer. The fact that there are still some Albion fans who can’t see what he offers to the team is true testament to just how stupid football fans can be.
      I wonder if it's the same 'supporters' who never warmed to (seizing upon any apparent failing by):
      Murray
      Barnes
      Baldock
      Lopez

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nixonator View Post
      He's a physical and niggly player, if he does have the most fouls (I haven't checked this but not uncommon for a CM) then he also has the most interceptions and tackles. There are some world class players in this league who will make him and the rest of our players look ordinary at times. Is it best that Stephens gives away a free kick or that he just lets them ghost past him (as is common with Propper)?

The reason myself and a few others leap to his defence repeatedly is not necessarily because of opinions on this forum, but fan opinion on the whole. I go to all home and most away games and generally the player is not well regarded for some mystifying reason (not a flair player, him wanting away.. who knows) when in my opinion he is in the running for PoS, albeit is some way behind Dunk. We've had a few quality players in the past (I'm sure I don't need to mention) who weren't rated and this smacks of the same thing. Short of dooming us to relegation by wanting him to get injured, there seems little other way to convince some of our fans to value him. Anybody who thinks Kayal can step in and do what he does is dreaming, we would be utterly ****ed until Sidwell is back and match fit.
      Great post.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      Gerrard and Lampard have the shirt so Scholes plays on the wing.
      Carlton Palmer and Geoff Thomas, with Ripley and Salako on the wings, have the midfield sown up. Quality.

So unfortunately, DS won't get a look in.
      Fest avoider

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Munchkin View Post
      Gareth Southgate was at yesterday’s game.

Stephens and Dunk must have impressed IMO.
      He was there to see Charlie Adam and Pierre Crouch.
      I do not have a professional working knowledge of cricket.

2 Not allowed!
      I know quite a lot of people who still can't see past his transfer request, maybe that's why stupid people hate him?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Washie View Post
      I know quite a lot of people who still can't see past his transfer request, maybe that's why stupid people hate him?
      They're going to have a lot of ex-players to hate if we get relegated then.