Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stephens

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm a big fan of Stephens. But I do agree with [MENTION=17545]Arkwright[/MENTION] here - Stephens seems to give away free kicks when he tackles players from behind as they're running away from him inside his half despite there being plenty of players left for them to get past. But, no, I don't have any stats either, it's just that you think 'oh no, another free-kick in a place where they can launch a high ball', and it seems to often be Stephens (but then it would be, because that's his position on the pitch). But, he hasn't done it for a while.

He's a physical and niggly player, if he does have the most fouls (I haven't checked this but not uncommon for a CM) then he also has the most interceptions and tackles. There are some world class players in this league who will make him and the rest of our players look ordinary at times. Is it best that Stephens gives away a free kick or that he just lets them ghost past him (as is common with Propper)?

The reason myself and a few others leap to his defence repeatedly is not necessarily because of opinions on this forum, but fan opinion on the whole. I go to all home and most away games and generally the player is not well regarded for some mystifying reason (not a flair player, him wanting away.. who knows) when in my opinion he is in the running for PoS, albeit is some way behind Dunk. We've had a few quality players in the past (I'm sure I don't need to mention) who weren't rated and this smacks of the same thing. Short of dooming us to relegation by wanting him to get injured, there seems little other way to convince some of our fans to value him. Anybody who thinks Kayal can step in and do what he does is dreaming, we would be utterly ****ed until Sidwell is back and match fit.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Gave away a penalty and failed to win the cross which Knocky cleared off the line. If it had been Gaeton he would have been slated.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The guy is an absolutely fantastic footballer. The fact that there are still some Albion fans who can’t see what he offers to the team is true testament to just how stupid football fans can be.

I wonder if it's the same 'supporters' who never warmed to (seizing upon any apparent failing by):
Murray
Barnes
Baldock
Lopez

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He's a physical and niggly player, if he does have the most fouls (I haven't checked this but not uncommon for a CM) then he also has the most interceptions and tackles. There are some world class players in this league who will make him and the rest of our players look ordinary at times. Is it best that Stephens gives away a free kick or that he just lets them ghost past him (as is common with Propper)?

The reason myself and a few others leap to his defence repeatedly is not necessarily because of opinions on this forum, but fan opinion on the whole. I go to all home and most away games and generally the player is not well regarded for some mystifying reason (not a flair player, him wanting away.. who knows) when in my opinion he is in the running for PoS, albeit is some way behind Dunk. We've had a few quality players in the past (I'm sure I don't need to mention) who weren't rated and this smacks of the same thing. Short of dooming us to relegation by wanting him to get injured, there seems little other way to convince some of our fans to value him. Anybody who thinks Kayal can step in and do what he does is dreaming, we would be utterly ****ed until Sidwell is back and match fit.

Great post.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Just my opinion, first I think Stephens has grown into the season and looks excellent in the middle with Propper.

I'm sure he wants to mark tight and not let attackers turn him but within this the slightest touch players go down, these are the "silly" fouls he gives away. Maybe it's naivety or maybe just being beaten by skill.

Thought this may help!
Premier league player stats for fouls committed
7th Dale Stephens".............. 37
=19th Davy P........................28
=30th Solly............................25
=37th Pascal.........................23
=68th Knocky........................16
=141st Beram.......................3

Fouls conceded by midfielders, the list is headed by........Milivojevic of our chums up the road with 51:lolol:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Thought this may help!
Premier league player stats for fouls committed
7th Dale Stephens".............. 37
=19th Davy P........................28
=30th Solly............................25
=37th Pascal.........................23
=68th Knocky........................16
=141st Beram.......................3

Fouls conceded by midfielders, the list is headed by........Milivojevic of our chums up the road with 51:lolol:

Many thanks. As I said it doesn't make him a bad player, to contradict myself you could argue 37 fouls in 27 games isn't as bad as I had thought.

Out of curiosity how many fouls has Murray made, he seems to concede a few.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Many thanks. As I said it doesn't make him a bad player, to contradict myself you could argue 37 fouls in 27 games isn't as bad as I had thought.

Out of curiosity how many fouls has Murray made, he seems to concede a few.

On the all player list,
Glen =5th 41 fouls
Dale 12th 37 fouls

With Luka heading the premier league with 52 :lolol: (well, equal 1st with some other guy?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here