Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Eurostar to Amsterdam

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
On a recent trip to Paris on Eurostar I found the queues to get through the ticket inspection and passport control long, the waiting rooms afterwards were overcrowded and the whole experience no better and probably worse than going through an airport. I do like a train ride though.

This I’ve been to Paris on the Eurostar 5 times in the last 3 years but now LGW has flights again I will always fly!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Eurostar is a great way to travel. The old style Brussels train with the round tables in the buffet car are amost perfectly designed for beer and a game of cards. You can also take your own booze and a couple of bags on.

Give me that any day of the week over some Nazi stewardess checking my seat belt and giving me evils because I'm not watching the safety video before charging me through the nose for the world's smallest beer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
OK, you've thrown down a nominal challenge. I'll try and pick it up. Let's suppose both leave at 8am on the first Sunday after the London St Pancras to Amsterdam Centraal service starts.

Going via Heathrow - cost in travel alone (tube, flight, Dutch trains) - around £110. Arr. 15.14.
Going via Gatwick - cost in travel alone (tube, flight, Dutch trains) - around £140. Arr. 16.44
Gogin via Eurostar - cost in travel alone (tube, trains) - around £78. Arr. 15.04.

That makes sense to use the train and I must admit I would rather sit or walk around a train rather than sit in or walk around an airport

D

Deleted member 22389

I much prefer the train over flying any day, far more relaxed. I really don't like Airports anymore.
Done Eurostar a few times to Paris, Brussels, and Avignon. Eurostar to Amsterdam sounds interesting.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If I were based in central London I'd much prefer to jump on a train there that would whisk me to straight into central Amsterdam than have to go through the hassles of two airports, as well as getting to the first airport and away from the second.

Totally disagree. The company I worked for used to have an office in Amsterdam. We used to get the afternoon flight from City Airport. We'd jump in a taxi from the office to City, time for a quick (very expensive) pint, 20 min flight and then taxi the other end. Was about 2.5 hours London office to hotel bar. Regularly took me longer than that to get home.

Never did find Black Jack or those Celtic fans again though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
haven't read all the previous posts but what i will say is that you're be back at your desk before you know it ......and probably sacked on the spot if you do it properly ....:thumbsup:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Don't forget the walk from the stand to outside the airport/train station, blooming miles!

Agreed! Our walk from the plane to the station at Amsterdam must have been the longest I've ever had! We thought they were joking when the sign said half an hour walk to the gate, they weren't!!! That was after security etc as well.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I used to commute weekly to Brussels. For me the train was much better. Drive to Ebbsfleet park for free (as a perk of the frequent traveller card - dont know if they still offer that), arriving 20 mins before the train. Then grab a free coffee and a stack of croissants in the lounge. Onto the train, headphones on, sleep for 2 hours. Arrive in central Brussels and in work for 10:30 Brussles time. The only annoyance on Eurostar is the overly loud tannoy announcements in 3 languages that go on for ages. Hence the headphones.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I go to Amsterdam once a year.

The flight is quick but when I have to factor in.

1) Travel to Gatwick
2) Security at Gatwick.
3) Thousands of other people going somewhere else.
4) Waiting for bags at Schiphol.
5) Getting out of the Schiphol airport which has been suggested above is a huge shopping centre that has optional airport facilities.
6) Getting the train to central...

I think I'll get the the train in future.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tickets were supposed to go on sale today at 4pm for the first direct train services that start on 4th April. They now go on sale from Thursday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Heads up: Eurostar now taking bookings for direct trains to Amsterdam via Rotterdam. Just booked one way for £35. Return involves a bit of fannying about going via Belgium and changing trains, so Easyjet looks a better option for the return for now.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Heads up: Eurostar now taking bookings for direct trains to Amsterdam via Rotterdam. Just booked one way for £35. Return involves a bit of fannying about going via Belgium and changing trains, so Easyjet looks a better option for the return for now.

:bigwave:

:lolol: sorry, couldn't resist

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Faster AND cheaper to fly ... ???

Even with security check in, spending on grub whilst waiting etc?

I love Eurostar, easy to board, take on some great food from home or M & S and have a right feast whilst travelling

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's such a shame we're not in Schengen and can thus easily just breeze through without needing to bugger about in Brussels.

From Brussels you can board a train to anywhere in western Europe with no more difficulty than boarding a train in London to go to Glasgow, but we have to have a secure fenced off area at Brussels station with armed sentries on electric gates all because we were never grown up enough as a country to sign up. It's pathetic really.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Even with security check in, spending on grub whilst waiting etc?

I love Eurostar, easy to board, take on some great food from home or M & S and have a right feast whilst travelling

I've used Eurostar just once, to Brussels and back. Going out on a Sunday evening wasn't so good, but came back first class mid-week and was given a very nice meal plus wine. Had the carriage to ourselves. A nice way to travel.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here