Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Amsterdam pubs?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree, it looks awful, smells awful but it absolutely brilliant.

It looks awful. I have looked their website and cannot see one single redeeming feature. The beer options are shite as well. What’s so good about it?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Arendsnest is a lovely place. Mainly, or possibly all, Dutch beers.

All Dutch beer. That's the USP. When it opened in 2000 it claimed to sell at least one beer from every brewery in the Netherlands. But there were only about 40 brewers and breweries back then. The task is somewhat more difficult now there are at least 300 breweries and another 250 gypsy brewers making beer (the owner officially gave up trying to stock them all about 10 years ago)...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All Dutch beer. That's the USP. When it opened in 2000 it claimed to sell at least one beer from every brewery in the Netherlands. But there were only about 40 brewers and breweries back then. The task is somewhat more difficult now there are at least 300 breweries and another 250 gypsy brewers making beer (the owner officially gave up trying to stock them all about 10 years ago)...

It’s a wonderful place. I’ve since recommended it others. Nice cheese as well

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
The only thing that [MENTION=24493]Rodney Thomas[/MENTION] got right in his post was that you definitely need to get the tram out of the centre to visit the Brouwerij 't IJ the main small brewery in the city. You'll recognise it by the enormous windmill. You'll also find their great IJ IPA served all over town in bottles on draught, but come here early after 2pm opening before it fills up for the full range and also their top notch ossenwurst which is not for the faint hearted.
IJ Brewery

The bar next door langendijk is also decent.

More recommendations on the south of the city centre are
Cafe Gollem Raamsteeg
Hoppe at Spul 18-20
or Cafe Gollem Amstelstraat

There are more

I was probably being a tad facetious. Having lived there up until 3 months ago I cannot say I left with found memories of the place or the people.

I agree with the suggestion of heading to one of the Gollem bars. I prefer the one on Overtoom and Overtoom in general has some great bars which can provide a nice crawl without the hordes of tourists elsewhere.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Some years ago I went to a fantastic small brown bar in Amsterdam. Great beer and good atmosphere. Half-way through the evening a small jazz band turned up and paraded around a sort of balcony place adding to the atmosphere.

We tried to find it again the next night, and the night after - but just couldn't locate it all.

Was it a dream? What, in Amsterdam, could possibly have given me such hallucinations??

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It looks awful. I have looked their website and cannot see one single redeeming feature. The beer options are shite as well. What’s so good about it?

The lols. Seriously, myself and our mutual friend Marcus ended up going there several nights in a row. Not for a long session, as a starter or finisher sandwiched in between the more marvellous ale houses around the city.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I have been to Amsterdam I think 6 times, and to be honest I couldn’t name one pub I went in ! Loads around Leidersplein for football

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have been to Amsterdam I think 6 times, and to be honest I couldn’t name one pub I went in ! Loads around Leidersplein for football

Yes, someone said about the footy earlier and I was thinking errr Leidersplein? Serious? No footy? Watched two play offs for Brighton v Derby and Sheff Wed in Leidersplein and the fantastic Cafe Eijlders is there, just off the beaten track too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The lols. Seriously, myself and our mutual friend Marcus ended up going there several nights in a row. Not for a long session, as a starter or finisher sandwiched in between the more marvellous ale houses around the city.

Okay. So bad they’re good? I’m with you now. I have done similar.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here