Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Beware of telephone scam - 'BT Openreach'

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To all,

I just received a call from BT Openreach, informing me that my broadband had problems making it slow, then the caller asked me to carry out some initial tests.

Instead I took his number of 00 44 1793 596931.

Immediately the 00 44 flagged up a scam, but googling them, they do have a legit .co.uk website: http://btcustomerservicesnumber.co.uk/ .

The bottom line is that it's a scam. I checked with the real BT, who told me that don't normally call out of the blue at all.

Beware!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
giving out a number is bit of a step up in their game, usually has them hanging up.

general scam tip - dont give anyone calling you any information. get the general number and call them. I'll allow post code to confirm i am me (because its public record) but any other questions is suspect.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Openreach will NEVER ring an end customer out of the blue - they will always go through the reseller. Reminds me when a scammer rang me saying he worked for Microsoft - he hung up very quickly when I said I also worked for Microsoft and asked which part he worked in so I could look him up on the internal directory :lol:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
We had them a couple of months back - knew it was a scam straight away as they don't provide our broadband.

Another scam to look out for is if a company phones up for business, and they say 'Can you hear me ok?', to which you're meant to say 'Yes'. Apparently, they are recording, and splice in the 'Yes' to a verbal contract for their goods. It's a big scam in the US, coming to the UK so they reckon.

So if anyone ever asks that question, put the phone down, say 'No' or 'Bugger awf, pikey scumbag'.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
btcustomerservicesnumber.co.uk
registrant : andy jones

It's definitely not a BT site.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We had them a couple of months back - knew it was a scam straight away as they don't provide our broadband.

Another scam to look out for is if a company phones up for business, and they say 'Can you hear me ok?', to which you're meant to say 'Yes'. Apparently, they are recording, and splice in the 'Yes' to a verbal contract for their goods. It's a big scam in the US, coming to the UK so they reckon.

So if anyone ever asks that question, put the phone down, say 'No' or 'Bugger awf, pikey scumbag'.

Distance selling law in EU gives you 14 days to return the goods or cancel an order, would not work here, you cant just send stuff and expect it to get paid, even if the "customer" called you and asked you to send it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
giving out a number is bit of a step up in their game, usually has them hanging up.

general scam tip - dont give anyone calling you any information. get the general number and call them. I'll allow post code to confirm i am me (because its public record) but any other questions is suspect.

And get the general number from an independent source such as Google - not from the caller.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
To all,

I just received a call from BT Openreach, informing me that my broadband had problems making it slow, then the caller asked me to carry out some initial tests.

Immediately the 00 44 flagged up a scam, but googling them, they do have a legit .co.uk website: http://btcustomerservicesnumber.co.uk/ .

The bottom line is that it's a scam. I checked with the real BT, who told me that don't normally call out of the blue at all.

Beware!

Thanks for the info. Have had the microsoft scam caller a couple of times, but not from 'BT' you just can't be too careful!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Distance selling law in EU gives you 14 days to return the goods or cancel an order, would not work here, you cant just send stuff and expect it to get paid, even if the "customer" called you and asked you to send it.

well be better be prepared for a rush of calls once we leave .

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
To all,

Beware!

There is also a BT one and they actually give a BT number based in the Central London HQ building. There are no call centres running from that building....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriously? They can have a recording with me apparently saying yes to something, but to get any money out of me they'd need to take me to court. Can you imagine them taking thousands of people to court, all of whom they claim said 'yes'. I can't see them having much joy with that.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I always play dumb when I get any of these "out of the blue" calls. When they ask me to use the mouse, I tell them I don't have any pets. They usually hang up after this.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I have had this for the last three days. longest I have kept them waiting is around 18 mins. I pretend to play along but just continue with what I'm doing (usually playing ARK on the xbox)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I always play dumb when I get any of these "out of the blue" calls. When they ask me to use the mouse, I tell them I don't have any pets. They usually hang up after this.

:lolol:

Until circa 20 years ago, a caller couldn't terminate a phone call, they had to wait for the recipient to. So my Dad used to rest the receiver on a table for a couple of hours, to screw things for the scammer or cold caller. It really did work, until BT changed the protocol.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
:lolol:

Until circa 20 years ago, a caller couldn't terminate a phone call, they had to wait for the recipient to. So my Dad used to rest the receiver on a table for a couple of hours, to screw things for the scammer or cold caller. It really did work, until BT changed the protocol.

Errr...
It's always been the case that the calling party can terminate the call, with the exception of calls to operator services (including 999) where the operator has to clear it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I'm not buying this scam at all, even if they have someone saying Yes, how do they get any payment details?

https://www.snopes.com/can-you-hear-me-scam/

Snopes raise the same question and also dig deeper.

All the news reports only have interviews with people who claim they've received the phone call, none who've actually fallen foul of any scam.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here