Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Night driving blindness

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Some of the lights, particularly it seems fitted to 4x4 type motors are incredibly bright to the point of a standard full beam and whether oncoming or in rear, they are incredibly off-putting.

I agree with that and have trouble with people too close behind with full beams. Even if I dip my rear view mirror, the car is still full of their headlights.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
whilst these lights are IMO getting far too bright, they are not as ruddy dangerous as the amount of cars driving with only one headlight working.

there are dozens of them. Whatever happened to getting pulled over for this?

Eight years of Tory cuts to the Police.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
whilst these lights are IMO getting far too bright, they are not as ruddy dangerous as the amount of cars driving with only one headlight working.

Blame the manufacturers for this. Sometimes it's only an authorised dealer that can actually change a lightbulb. They obviously make it so difficult so that their garages pick up extra business.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Add cyclists to that as well. The amount that wear all black with no lights is horrifying. We used to get pulled up over this when I was younger

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Add cyclists to that as well. The amount that wear all black with no lights is horrifying. We used to get pulled up over this when I was younger

And then there's the ones that have more lights blinking, flashing and beaming out than a landing strip.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
And then there's the ones that have more lights blinking, flashing and beaming out than a landing strip.

we were discussing these the other night whilst on a journey on unlit road. my other half raised the question that they flash so much was there not the possibility of triggering a fit in someone. To be honest i would not have thought they could but it did raise n interesting conversation

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The headlights on my Mercedes Benz are very bright. They're branded as an "LED Intelligent Light System"

Modern LED technology and sophisticated light functions for best possible visibility in any situation: on country roads and motorways, when turning off, as well as in bends and in fog, the LED Intelligent Light System automatically adjusts to the prevailing conditions. LED technology generates a light colour which is similar to daylight and thus more pleasant on the driver's eyes. Lower energy consumption and the extremely long life of the bulbs are further advantages of this technology.

Clever stuff. http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/led_intelligent_light_system/detail.html

Just wish that you would tell the Emer/Services to turn down those rapid hi-intensity blue lights when parked up they are bad enough in city/town nights you get get three/four/five plus more turn up in the countryside darkness and you are struggling.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm surprised BG has not chipped in yet with a story about how during the war he was only allowed to use sidelights at night so as not to give away the location of the road to enemy aircraft overhead.

WW1 of course. Here’s a photo of one of his earliest drives:
C6843FFC-F318-42C8-96CC-D42701C41465.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here