Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Night driving blindness

mrgull

Jan 1, 2014
How many are finding oncoming car headlights can be very bright,almost to the point of causing blindness!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Main worse by the pillocks who drive round with their fog/spot lights all the time because it makes them feel macho.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Some of the lights, particularly it seems fitted to 4x4 type motors are incredibly bright to the point of a standard full beam and whether oncoming or in rear, they are incredibly off-putting.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have found night driving to be getting more difficult over the last couple of years. To the point that I avoid night driving where possible. A visit to the opticians revealed a slight cataract in my left eye which goes some way to explain it. I was also prescribed some drive safe Zeis lenses which make the glare much better, worth checking out if you struggle with glare imo.

Anyone else notice that in some Caribbean islands the locals drive on full headlights all the time at night, bloody nightmare!

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Yes. Hate driving at night, especially in rural areas.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Some of the lights, particularly it seems fitted to 4x4 type motors are incredibly bright to the point of a standard full beam and whether oncoming or in rear, they are incredibly off-putting.

4x4 lights are higher, near to eye height. lights are much brighter nowadays and me and misuses find a problem with dazzling. other issue i have is car behind with such bright lights they illuminate the inside of the car, glare off mirrors and reducing visibility out the windows.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My car has those auto head lights, it can get a bit annoying as they seem to have a mind of their own!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Agree with the OP. Having driven for 15 years, the headlights have become worse and worse. More full beam these days than
ever. Mostly selfish, crap drivers.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Going from a car with automatic lights to one without is also bad news.

It took me about six months to remember to turn my lights on again

Indeed, this is also auto main / dipped beam, making matters even worse if I get into Mrs OW's car!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Main worse by the pillocks who drive round with their fog/spot lights all the time because it makes them feel macho.

I drive with the main lights on, not fog lights, since I heard about how much it can reduce accidents. Have resisted lowering the car and fitting under lights though :laugh:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Some of these 4×4s have underlights, headlights and additionals on the roof. It's like having a floodlight stack driving at you.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some of these 4×4s have underlights, headlights and additionals on the roof. It's like having a floodlight stack driving at you.

Several times I have had the misfortune to find the Mothership from Close Encounters hovering 6 foot from my rear bumper, I'm used to the drill now, flip your rearview so as i'm not being dazzled that way and sometimes even had to hit the button for the fold in side mirrors. These people are either thick or incredibly selfish.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this - Only been driving 3 years and i'm only 20, but sometimes I feel like i'm being blinded from behind.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here