Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Night driving blindness

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Several times I have had the misfortune to find the Mothership from Close Encounters hovering 6 foot from my rear bumper, I'm used to the drill now, flip your rearview so as i'm not being dazzled that way and sometimes even had to hit the button for the fold in side mirrors. These people are either thick or incredibly selfish.
If you really want to annoy them, slow down gradually, and occasionally touch the brakes.

D

Deleted member 2719

I found that the white lines and cats eyes seem shite nowadays. The white lines are off white and the cats eyes just don't reflect, so trying to find where you are positioned on the road is more difficult than it's ever been while on low beam with bright lights dazzling you.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The headlights on my Mercedes Benz are very bright. They're branded as an "LED Intelligent Light System"

Modern LED technology and sophisticated light functions for best possible visibility in any situation: on country roads and motorways, when turning off, as well as in bends and in fog, the LED Intelligent Light System automatically adjusts to the prevailing conditions. LED technology generates a light colour which is similar to daylight and thus more pleasant on the driver's eyes. Lower energy consumption and the extremely long life of the bulbs are further advantages of this technology.

Clever stuff. http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/led_intelligent_light_system/detail.html
If you can't beat them join them. I've got the same and have joined the glaring moron brigade.

My previous car of 12 years had auto dimming rear view mirror but I was still blinded by door mirrors. The Merc recognises it's blinding potential so gives you auto dim door mirrors too.

They should ban such bright headlights. Only safer for the person driving that car and dangerous for others.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you really want to annoy them, slow down gradually, and occasionally touch the brakes.

At the same time wash your windscreen and all the water goes back onto theirs. It really gets up their nose.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
There are new mot regs coming in May that should alleviate some of these problems.
And you’ll actually find it’s not the brightness that’s the problem it’s incorrect beam patterns and aims, a 4x4 headlight should be set the exact same aim as a small car.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
My bete noir is the studs left in the road from lane changes after roadworks. The contractors make no attempt to repair or cover the tracks they leave and in the dark, especially when it's raining & the white lines don't show clearly, it is incredibly confusing and not a little dangerous.
As for headlight glare, I've tried night driving glasses but find they make everything a very strange and unnatural shade of yellow and make reading signs difficult so like others I avoid long journeys at night if I can.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Was looking at oncoming vehicle lights when out walking the hounds round the poop deck last night. It seems lights are no longer a safety feature but have become fashion statements. All manor of shapes and sizes. Can anyone explain the need for three tiers of lights on a crystal clear evening?

Even indicators, when many of the sad ignorants can be bothered to use them, are getting hard to see due to their design and the intensity of the other banks of lights.

Oh and don’t get me started on the silly little plonkers and plonkesses who think having fog lights on 365 nights a year makes them look cool....

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

IMG_2504.PNG

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
SUV's must play a huge part in this as they are higher off the road than most normal cars , thus instead of simply illuminating the road ahead they also light up the night sky .

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
whilst these lights are IMO getting far too bright, they are not as ruddy dangerous as the amount of cars driving with only one headlight working.

there are dozens of them. Whatever happened to getting pulled over for this?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
whilst these lights are IMO getting far too bright, they are not as ruddy dangerous as the amount of cars driving with only one headlight working.

there are dozens of them. Whatever happened to getting pulled over for this?

Lack of funding for the police and far fewer police.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Use your screen washers...but only enough to smear their screen.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I have found night driving to be getting more difficult over the last couple of years. To the point that I avoid night driving where possible. A visit to the opticians revealed a slight cataract in my left eye which goes some way to explain it. I was also prescribed some drive safe Zeis lenses which make the glare much better, worth checking out if you struggle with glare imo.

Anyone else notice that in some Caribbean islands the locals drive on full headlights all the time at night, bloody nightmare!

My dad had the same thing. When he went to the opticians they found cataracts. Now removed and he is much better

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here