Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Night driving blindness

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My first car, a 1968 Mini 850 had headlights about as bright as a candle in a jam jar. So did most other cars so, even on full beam, you never really got dazzled.
My current car, a Honda CRV can light up a football pitch. As can every other car.
I thought it was just me, as I have had eye problems but it seems not.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I assumed it was to do with newer types of lightbulbs being used; LED ones or the like.

boik

I think you'll find they're called driving lights now and are legal. My car has them and they are a boon on the dark country lanes up here in Northumberland.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Best headlights ever for driving on country roads are the steering headlights that I had on my old Citroen DS. Only came on with main beam and you could turn them off and use fixed only but they werte so good I never tuned them off.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I also find that some green traffic lights seem to also be extraordinarily bright at night, particularly on unlit or poorly lit junctions, to the point where you cannot see the road in front of you.

Also those automatic light signs to warn you of a hazard ahead are almost blinding at night. There's one on the A26 at Herons Ghyll between Crowborough and Uckfield (travelling south) that seem to be especially bad - this on a stretch of road that is notorious for accidents and especially deer collisions.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As we’re talking inconsiderate drivers( no one on here, obviously) not parking in street parking places properly, in the middle of a two car space,, parking about six foot from the next car, etc really, really gets on my tits. FFS, park at the end of bays if you can, park as close as is reasonable to other cars, it’s not difficult.
Have a little consideration for other drivers

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
As we’re talking inconsiderate drivers( no one on here, obviously) not parking in street parking places properly, in the middle of a two car space,, parking about six foot from the next car, etc really, really gets on my tits. FFS, park at the end of bays if you can, park as close as is reasonable to other cars, it’s not difficult.

I have one thing to say to this - what if the person had parked correctly, perfectly fine, leaving enough space behind or infront of them for another car, just for the other car they parked next to leave, and then it makes them look like a tosser, or for another car to park like a dick behind them, rather than correctly behind them... It's not always the car in the middle who has parked stupidly.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
The line straddling in car parks is to prevent precious people who don't want supermarket creases ( the vertical dent which occurs when some knob head opens his or her door and hits car next to them) in their brand new beemers, mercs etc. Very common in posh areas.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have one thing to say to this - what if the person had parked correctly, perfectly fine, leaving enough space behind or infront of them for another car, just for the other car they parked next to leave, and then it makes them look like a tosser, or for another car to park like a dick behind them, rather than correctly behind them... It's not always the car in the middle who has parked stupidly.

Yeah, I understand that, but, some park 4 or 5 feet from the end of bays, or slap bang in the middle, I’ve seen them do it. Where I usually park for work is a 4 car space, until you get the cars at either end park 4-5 feet in, and it turns into a 2-3 car space.:rant:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The headlights on my Mercedes Benz are very bright. They're branded as an "LED Intelligent Light System"

Modern LED technology and sophisticated light functions for best possible visibility in any situation: on country roads and motorways, when turning off, as well as in bends and in fog, the LED Intelligent Light System automatically adjusts to the prevailing conditions. LED technology generates a light colour which is similar to daylight and thus more pleasant on the driver's eyes. Lower energy consumption and the extremely long life of the bulbs are further advantages of this technology.

Clever stuff. http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/en/led_intelligent_light_system/detail.html

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Yeah, I understand that, but, some park 4 or 5 feet from the end of bays, or slap bang in the middle, I’ve seen them do it. Where I usually park for work is a 4 car space, until you get the cars at either end park 4-5 feet in, and it turns into a 2-3 car space.:rant:

Well then they're just inconsiderate ar*eholes but nothing you can do about it really... Some people just can't drive & need about 30 ft to get out of a parking space :lolol:

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
I used to think people who drive round with only one headlight were dicks, especially as they could be mistaken for a motorcycle and you not realise how wide they are, but actually they are being really considerate and not dazzling oncoming cars.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All down to led lighting agree rural areas suck at night, living in London you really notice getting blinded when out in the sticks.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Quite agree with the OP. I thought there used to be a limit on how bright lights were but the bright white lights these days are a real pain especially, as others have said, when the car behind is a 4x4 and it's lights shine directly on to your rear view mirror. I've only got a Focus so it's quite a bit less tall than a 4x4.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
When I had to replace the headlights on my Saab it was a minefield, I couldn't match the working one so had to buy a pair and the options were bewildering. A range of colours from white to blue, many brightnessess, ones that said 130% brighter for better reaction times etc. As I didnt know what I had (old bulb had marks worn off) I couldn't gauge what was suitable. So I went for a mid level mid colour as thought that very bright very blue bulbs were for BMW drivers and wankers.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
All down to led lighting agree rural areas suck at night, living in London you really notice getting blinded when out in the sticks.

London is just one big bloody light bulb, that you cannot turn off. As well as the brain ache merchants with their high velocity lights, a lot of the local councils are replacing the old orange street lighting, with bright white led type lighting which does the job in illuminating the road, which in turn should help these idiots to turn off the floodlights on their cars.

Quite agree with the OP. I thought there used to be a limit on how bright lights were but the bright white lights these days are a real pain especially, as others have said, when the car behind is a 4x4 and it's lights shine directly on to your rear view mirror. I've only got a Focus so it's quite a bit less tall than a 4x4.

When I get one of these idiots behind me with bright lights, I pull over and let them pass.

How many are finding oncoming car headlights can be very bright,almost to the point of causing blindness!

It's maddening, as above I just pull over.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I think you'll find they're called driving lights now and are legal. My car has them and they are a boon on the dark country lanes up here in Northumberland.

Fog lights have a unique beam shape. Their beams are flat and wide, and they are positioned low on the car, usually near the front bumper. The shape of the fog light beams usually resembles a narrow bar. They are meant to cut through the fog and light up the surface of the road so that drivers can see well enough to stay on the road and within their lane

Driving lights should be wired to engage only when the high beams are in use. Since they are so powerful, they should never be employed around other drivers. The bright lights can be a distraction for them, taking their attention away from the road. Even a momentary distraction can cause an accident, ranging from a minor incident to a severe wreck involving injury to drivers and to passengers. Some areas enforce penalties for the inappropriate use of driving lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/What-s-th...ghts-and-Fog-Lights-/10000000177633614/g.html

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Lots of things causing this lights issue I think - some of which covered above:

- People not adjusting their headlights downward when they have a heavy load in the back. As this hasn't already been mentioned I'm inclined to think it's the main cause!
- New ultra bright "10x as bright" etc bulbs that you can buy in Halfords. Normal ones are bright enough!
- People leaving their fog lights on.
- Automatic lights. Hate these - fortunately my Toyota doesn't have them. I honestly think they should be made illegal as they've led to around 50% of people driving without lights in heavy rain, fog etc. when conditions are bright but visibility is poor.
- Finally, cars with high-up lights. Particularly these bloody stupid things, which never fail to blind you if they follow you at night:

packshot_colorpicker_JUKE_NAJ_medium_update.png.ximg.m_12_h.smart.png

Automatic wipers are also a pain in the arse.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here