Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] XXIII Olympic Winter Games Pyeongchang 2018 *** Official Thread ***

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Pyeongchang, South Korea Date: 9-25 February

Defending skeleton champion Lizzy Yarnold will carry the Great Britain flag at the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics

Thursday, 8 February - day minus-one
Medal events: none

#LoveCurling is back. It's the first time that mixed events will feature at a Winter Olympics - outside of the traditional figure skating and luge team competitions - and as they are a new favourite of the IOC many more could appear in future Games.

The eight-strong line-up of nations - which does not include Great Britain after an agonising qualification defeat - will have the honour of being the first to compete at Pyeongchang and begin their campaigns at 08:35 local time - which is still 7 February at 23:35 GMT in UK

Men's individual normal hill qualification round - the only other action of this day.

Those who miss out on a place in the final (on day one) will be eliminated more than 24 hours before the opening ceremony has even taken place - although the majority will be expected to return for the large hill event on day eight.

Very much looking forward to this. Anyone else?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
We did'nt (or Scotland did'nt) get enough points for the mix doubles curling.

Still its on and we have China v Switzerland and its 0-0 with two stones to go.

Oct 25, 2003
the only sports I like are the ice hockey, that snowboard racing thing, and the bobsleigh is alright I guess

it doesn't help that we're historically pretty shit at most of the winter sports to be honest

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
the only sports I like are the ice hockey, that snowboard racing thing, and the bobsleigh is alright I guess

it doesn't help that we're historically pretty shit at most of the winter sports to be honest

Us being shit at major tournaments? That could be pretty much any sport! :lolol:

Oct 25, 2003
Us being shit at major tournaments? That could be pretty much any sport! :lolol:

fair play

but compared to the 'proper' olympics- my interest is much lower as a casual fan as we have far fewer 'star names'

but I'll enjoy watching americans with names like Brody and Eli with bleached blonde hair crashing into stuff

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Something like 110,000 condoms supplied for 3000 athletes - the 'apres ski' will be amazing!

But back to the Games - I really enjoy watching the Winter ones. Of course, we have minimal chance of winning much, but the events are a good watch. I like the cross country and shooting combo, and skiing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If you are a novice to this and you plan to only watch ONE thing from the winter Olympics, make it Ski-cross.

Wonderful and often compete and utter carnage.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If you are a novice to this and you plan to only watch ONE thing from the winter Olympics, make it Ski-cross.

Wonderful and often compete and utter carnage.

Boarder Cross is as good.

What is the one where they are on ice-skates and built like ice hockey players. thats brutal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not after all the North Korean Winter Olympians do a runner
Do? So they haven't done a runner, but they're going to? I haven't been following the news since I heard they were going to be chums at the opening ceremony or something.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Boarder Cross is as good.

What is the one where they are on ice-skates and built like ice hockey players. thats brutal.

Border cross is also brilliant.....but where the ski-cross JUST pips it is the fact that the competitors have 2 massive planks on wood strapped to their feet compared to one. This means DOUBLE TROUBLE and tangled legs galore.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
One of the best things when on winter holidays is popping into the boarder-cross course with a few buddies. Carnage always ensues.

I'm looking forward to the freestyle, park and pipe snowboard events the most and also the bobsleigh events. I did a few seasons in La Plagne where the 1992 olympic track is, what an experiance.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Go Team Canada

#GloryHunter

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills