Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] XXIII Olympic Winter Games Pyeongchang 2018 *** Official Thread ***

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
the only sports I like are the ice hockey, that snowboard racing thing, and the bobsleigh is alright I guess

it doesn't help that we're historically pretty shit at most of the winter sports to be honest

Are you surprised when you see how the nation copes with 24 hours of ice or 1inch of snow ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
BBC and iPlayer for free in the UK

So its a bit like tennis on the radio ? no ones that bothered here so it's pretty much free to air. If there was a demand to see it you can bet your arse that Sky or BT Sport would have bought the rights.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sadly I think this is the case.

When the penny drops that most Winter Olympic sports involve either the use/avoidance of Ice/Gravity it all sort of gets very boring pretty quickly.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Slopestyle was a great event, the wind may have ruined the competition a bit but it was great to watch.

Elise Christie, Scottish skater is one of Team GB's best hopes for a medal in Pyeongchang. Speed skating today.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
and the Scotswoman crashes out and loses in the final..................................

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I didn't see it but heard she was pushed over - so why isn't the pusher disqualified - they seemed to disqualify her from all 3 events last Olympics with ease!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]963386031818117121[/tweet]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bloody Dutch kicking the Scottish lady and her crashing out! Thank goodness for brexit and we can tell the Dutch to feck off. .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bring back Torvill and Dean!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I didn't see it but heard she was pushed over - so why isn't the pusher disqualified - they seemed to disqualify her from all 3 events last Olympics with ease!

She wasn't. There was a tiny contact, but she was basically skating on the absolute limit, because she'd got into a shit position and was going all out to try to get back in it.

She could have taken a 'comfortable' third (which would have ultimately got her a silver, after the Korean was disqualified) but went all Roman Grosjean and paid the price.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Boring. Every time I tune in, all I ever see is people falling off snow-boards.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
When the penny drops that most Winter Olympic sports involve either the use/avoidance of Ice/Gravity it all sort of gets very boring pretty quickly.

Agree! Its basically variations of sliding around a lot with a fair amount of jumping and falling over. Each to their own I guess but I just find the whole thing tediously boring. Quite funny watching the BBC build up the skater girl with the enormous lashes only for her to fall over...again. I know you could say the same for football that its basically just a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around but I cannot see anyone exhibiting the same passion for the Olympic Skiddy Jump event down a slippery hill than 30000 people at the Amex. Summer Olympics is much better, I'd like to see them bring some Summer disciplines into the Winter games. Bikes with studded tyres racing around an ice velodrome, Swimming in nadger shrinking icy water, Skaters with Javelins, Ski Pole vault anyone??

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Agree! Its basically variations of sliding around a lot with a fair amount of jumping and falling over. Each to their own I guess but I just find the whole thing tediously boring. Quite funny watching the BBC build up the skater girl with the enormous lashes only for her to fall over...again. I know you could say the same for football that its basically just a bunch of blokes kicking a ball around but I cannot see anyone exhibiting the same passion for the Olympic Skiddy Jump event down a slippery hill than 30000 people at the Amex. Summer Olympics is much better, I'd like to see them bring some Summer disciplines into the Winter games. Bikes with studded tyres racing around an ice velodrome, Swimming in nadger shrinking icy water, Skaters with Javelins, Ski Pole vault anyone??

I take it you have never been to the New Years 4 hills events...the ski jumping at garmish regularly gets spectators of over 40,000. The atmosphere is brilliant as it is at the skiing in Kitsbuhl.

Just gecause we are no good at it doesn't mean it is not popular all over the world.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I take it you have never been to the New Years 4 hills events...the ski jumping at garmish regularly gets spectators of over 40,000. The atmosphere is brilliant as it is at the skiing in Kitsbuhl.

Just gecause we are no good at it doesn't mean it is not popular all over the world.

Well its not really popular all over the world is it? Primarily its popular where they have lots of snow and ice, theres little to no interest in Winter Olympic sports anywhere predominately warm and sunny.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well its not really popular all over the world is it? Primarily its popular where they have lots of snow and ice, theres little to no interest in Winter Olympic sports anywhere predominately warm and sunny.

I could have sworn it was popular in Jamaica. They even made a film about it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here