Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Briton who fougbt AGAINST ISIS

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
To be charged.with terrorist offences :facepalm: Hundreds of ISIS members let back in without so much as a by your leave and they charge a bloke for fighting against ISIS , are they taking the p1ss ?:nono:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
To be charged.with terrorist offences :facepalm: Hundreds of ISIS members let back in without so much as a by your leave and they charge a bloke for fighting against ISIS , are they taking the p1ss ?:nono:

For such a major thread shirley you could have posted fought :moo:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42982245

A British man who fought against so-called Islamic State is to be charged with a terror offence.

Ex-soldier Jim Matthews, 43, of London, travelled to Syria and fought with the Kurdish forces, the YPG.

Mr Matthews will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on 14 February to be charged with one count of attending a place used for terrorist training.

He appeared in a Channel 4 documentary - The Brits battling Isis - about his fight against the jihadist group.

In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said Mr Matthews was alleged to have attended "a place or places in Iraq and Syria where instruction or training was provided for purposes connected to the commission or preparation of terrorism on or before 15 February 2016".

The offence comes under section 8 of the Terrorism Act 2006.

Analysis
By BBC News correspondent Emma Vardy

This is believed to be the first charge of its kind in the UK.

It is estimated that since 2015 dozens of Britons have fought as volunteers with the Kurds in Syria.

The YPG have been important allies of the West in helping to defeat so-called Islamic State.

But terrorism laws in the UK prohibit engaging in violence for a political or ideological cause.

It has so far been unclear how the actions of Britons fighting against Islamic State would be treated by the British courts.

The government has long repeated warnings that fighting with any group could lead to legal consequences.

No, it doesn't sum this country up at all.
This country is filled with people who know what the right thing is, some even go to the extremes of fighting for it, and in some cases dying

The laws however need looking at.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Good. Because when this goes to court the negative publicity and downright stupidity of the CPS and Govt will be there for all to see. We really do have some idiots in charge of this country. What is actually to be served by bringing this man to court? It doesn't smack of fairness just PC gone mad. Maybe its a pathetic effort to keep Turkey onside?...

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Would have thought it's highly unlikely a jury would convict him of anything given what has happened here in recent years
You're forgetting the British public are idiots.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ever thought of going out there yourself?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Pretty much sums this Country up,firmly believe that in a few years time ISIS fighters will be returning to our shores to a tikkatape welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Why do you have a picture of Bobby Sands? A brave man who gave up his life in fighting for his rights as prisoner of war status, rather than a criminal that the British government claimed at the time.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42982245

A British man who fought against so-called Islamic State is to be charged with a terror offence.

Ex-soldier Jim Matthews, 43, of London, travelled to Syria and fought with the Kurdish forces, the YPG.

Mr Matthews will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on 14 February to be charged with one count of attending a place used for terrorist training.

He appeared in a Channel 4 documentary - The Brits battling Isis - about his fight against the jihadist group.

In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said Mr Matthews was alleged to have attended "a place or places in Iraq and Syria where instruction or training was provided for purposes connected to the commission or preparation of terrorism on or before 15 February 2016".

The offence comes under section 8 of the Terrorism Act 2006.

Analysis
By BBC News correspondent Emma Vardy

This is believed to be the first charge of its kind in the UK.

It is estimated that since 2015 dozens of Britons have fought as volunteers with the Kurds in Syria.

The YPG have been important allies of the West in helping to defeat so-called Islamic State.

But terrorism laws in the UK prohibit engaging in violence for a political or ideological cause.

It has so far been unclear how the actions of Britons fighting against Islamic State would be treated by the British courts.

The government has long repeated warnings that fighting with any group could lead to legal consequences.

From that article, the law seems clear. I'm puzzled by us letting in hundreds of ISIS fighters. How do you know? I thought the jihadis we had here had been recruited via the internet, rather than those who have returned from Syria or Iraq.
Can you point me to any articles which show how many have been let back in?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, it doesn't sum this country up at all.
This country is filled with people who know what the right thing is, some even go to the extremes of fighting for it, and in some cases dying

The laws however need looking at.

I'm no legal expert but my take on it would be that the law is fine, it's just who we pursue under it that's at issue here. From reading the article they've been charged with "attending a place used for terrorist training." It can't mention sides, if it did then the jihadis could simply claim they were fighting for someone other than ISIS and you'd need extremely compelling evidence to the contrary to convict. The wording of the offence seems to me to be intended to catch ISIS returnees. Which begs the question......

From that article, the law seems clear. I'm puzzled by us letting in hundreds of ISIS fighters. How do you know? I thought the jihadis we had here had been recruited via the internet, rather than those who have returned from Syria or Iraq.
Can you point me to any articles which show how many have been let back in?

.....if hundreds of them are being let in through our unprotected borders why aren't we picking them up. Either they don't exist or the evidence needed to prove they're ISIS doesn't. I don't think there's a single person involved who wouldn't want to bang up returning ISIS fighters. We currently have one of the most reactionary governments in living memory and stretched security services looking for a quick win. If these guys existed I'd expect them to be picked up bluntly.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Why do you have a picture of Bobby Sands? A brave man who gave up his life in fighting for his rights as prisoner of war status, rather than a criminal that the British government claimed at the time.

He was a waster.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Rubbish. Unless unproven, no-one would dodge the consequences.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here