Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    The school caretaker should get paid more than the head teacher. You could have the lessons without the head, but you couldn't without the caretaker unlocking the school each morning.
    Hold tight, my man
    He's got the frisbee

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I think that if the male / female job pay should always be equal, no matter what the job is.
      Surely that is the right thing to do, given the modern world we are living in.
      Where I work, we have a mixture of male/ female drivers, all doing the same tasks and all getting the same wage.
      Doesn't things like experience or qualifications come into it then? Should someone on day 1 get the same as a person who has been doing the job for 10 years because they are doing the same thing?
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Postman Pat View Post
      Doesn't things like experience or qualifications come into it then? Should someone on day 1 get the same as a person who has been doing the job for 10 years because they are doing the same thing?
      No chap, it's working for a contract company.
      All get the same wages, whether they've been there longer than the newbies.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gazwag View Post
      Not sure how it could be put right, unions have made tube drivers overpaid and to increase bus drivers pay to be equal would result in massive fare increases
      No, nor me, but it does show a difference in pay for similar roles can exist, without it being a gender issue. I am not saying that unequal pay is not ever a gender issue, just that I think the extent to which it exists is overstated.
      Posted by Kosh, 19/7/2016 - 14th - 11th this year, or I'll eat my big Ritchie Blackmore hat.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      But that's not what's in the news. They're talking about increasing the wage of jobs that are largely done by women, to match completely different jobs that are largely done by men. Farcical.
      Sorry Trig, what I was pointing out is that there is no difference in wages between the genders, at my place of work

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      Sorry Trig, what I was pointing out is that there is no difference in wages between the genders, at my place of work
      No problem. Does your company not have some roles that are mostly done by men, and other roles mostly done by women?
      Hold tight, my man
      He's got the frisbee

0 Not allowed!
      No problem. Does your company not have some roles that are mostly done by men, and other roles mostly done by women?
      The company does contract work for the MOD.
      Most of the roles are taken up by a percentage of male participants, with females making up the other percent.
      No role is male or female dominated, as so to speak, it's equal across the board.
      ie: drivers (lgv/ pcv) and aircraft engineers.
      Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      That doesn't make sense. A company needs all of the jobs done, so you could argue that just about all of the staff contribute equally. We need dustmen as much as we need doctors, but that doesn't mean the pay should be the same.

If a company can't recruit for a particular role without increasing the wage for that role, it seems a bit silly that they then need to increase the wage for other roles that they have no problem recruiting for.
      How long to train to be a dustman vs a doctor ?

"contribution to the company" was how is was phrased by the solicitor on the TV this morning and I agree, it's not very good. The argument being made is that the physical aspects of warehouse work do not, in themselves, mean it's more skilled.
      How long does it take to learn and become proficient at the job ?
      How many warehouse staff, for example, could deal with a drunk and abusive customer (I'm sure some would advocate "give them a right hander") to defuse a situation ? Is it worth £3 an hour more to put stuff on a lorry than it is to take it off a lorry ?
      "Nibbled to death by an okapi..."

0 Not allowed!
      Joke issue.

1 This case is sub judis so why is the BBC slobering at the chops over it when..
      2. There is no mention of supply and demand for labour which is how wages are set in private sector(and some public).
      and
      3 The pay gap is a myth, as expounded on ch4 in a recent interview with Prof Jordan Petersom where the presenter was handed her arse on a plate.

Identity politics is running out of fuel, pay gap=myth, campus rape culture=myth, patriarchy=myth.

0 Not allowed!
      Seeking equity where a gender pay gap exists is one thing. The ‘equal rights for women’ movement (if that’s what it’s called) appears to fall short when it comes to proportional representation of genders in certain positions. Women occupy more board level and senior management positions than ever before, but why aren’t women mining for coal, fishing in the North Sea, or collecting refuse?

There seems to be a very selective version of equality/equity at play currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk